front diff carrier cover - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

front diff carrier cover

ok i recommend this to everyone who has better then stock tires,uses the throttle,races,goes mudding/rock crawling,use 4wd alot esp diff in diff lock or travels far from the truck. using diff lock makes all the power go thru the spider and side gears in the front diff to the axle opposite the 4wd actuator.if you happen to have all the weight on that tire while on the power,and this happens more then you realize,you will break a tooth or more off these gears.these teeth will then fall into the bottom of the case and get picked up and try to go between the ring and pinion.at this point the diff case will become more then one piece and the oil will pour out. also if the cross pin cheese dick weld fails you will have what ryanscat,myself and others had had for damage.my shield will hold the pin in as well as trap gear teeth so that all you have to purchase is the carrier/ring gear for 200 buks instead of a complete diff for 1200.... more to follow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	255.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	1492   Click image for larger version

Name:	256.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	1493   Click image for larger version

Name:	257.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	1494   Click image for larger version

Name:	258.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	1495   Click image for larger version

Name:	259.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	1496  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

the first pict is the carrier assy,#2 is cheese dick weld on center pin,#3 22ga sheet metal(thicker will cause clearance problems),#4 is shield partially on carrier,#5 shows end of sheetmetal arranged between large hole and pin. this is where you want it so you can weld the ends.....more
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

your piece of sheetmetal is 1.5 in wide by 8.25 in long,place it on with ends between pin and hole and clamp with 2 large hose clamps with edge of sheetmetal 7/16 in down from edge of carrier. weld in 6-8 places on inside edge by gear and outside edge as well as the ends. grind all welds down flush.place carrier back into case(with shim installed).turn by hand to make sure none of the sheet mteal or welds hit anything.grind as ness or assemble. take note of the shims,they are chamfered on inside on one side.this side towards the carrier!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	260.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	1497   Click image for larger version

Name:	261.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	1498   Click image for larger version

Name:	262.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	1499   Click image for larger version

Name:	264.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	1500   Click image for larger version

Name:	265.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	1501  

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 12:45 AM
Rides all the time

Nice post Don
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 09:09 AM

Excellent idea. Can the spider gears be removed or the ring gear removed from the housing that holds the spiders? Reason I ask is i've got a housing coming with spiders, ring gear and a good pin. His ring gear had some teeth missing but I wonder if it would be possible to swap ring gears rather than grind out the pin then install pin in mine and reweld? Did that make any sense?
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyansCat View Post
Excellent idea. Can the spider gears be removed or the ring gear removed from the housing that holds the spiders? Reason I ask is i've got a housing coming with spiders, ring gear and a good pin. His ring gear had some teeth missing but I wonder if it would be possible to swap ring gears rather than grind out the pin then install pin in mine and reweld? Did that make any sense?
cat says its not a servicable item...but,i i spose if you ground the weld off the ends of the pin and removed it you might be able to spin the gears out,thats how you replace in a real veh,but i dont think the gears will fit out the hole in carrier.i believe it is assembled then the end of carrier is welded on,in which case your screwd.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 09:22 AM

Nice post mine is in AC jail right now for the front diff exploding causing us to roll over. So when it gets out of jail I will do this mod. It could save someone from getting hurt.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 11:17 AM
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat n hat View Post
Nice post mine is in AC jail right now for the front diff exploding causing us to roll over. So when it gets out of jail I will do this mod. It could save someone from getting hurt.
Please tell us some more about this. I am doing high speed in my XTZ and haven't considered the front diff giving way and that could be catastrophic for me. Was it low speed? High speed? Cornering? Descending?
Thank for sharing.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 02:12 PM

Well I dont mean to steal the thread but. I was in PA. riding and was on a technical rocky trail going up the mountain and at the top I turned off the 4x4 then turned onto a flat dirt road. I let my buddys gazer go ahead a bit to let the dust settle (and its a good thing I did) I got up to maybe 30mph and crunch bang boom. The front tires stoped and we didnt it slid sideways then rolled. Thank god we were going slow and wife wasnt with me. We normaly run as fast as we can, I ride with RZR guys so I dont let them get away. Anyway I took it to my dealer and they say my extended warranty was over and cat wouldnt cover the damage anyway because I have made mods to the car. So I called the insurance guy and they covered all repairs. I waited to post about it till it was all sorted out. I love my Cat and will keep it, but this was hard to deal with. I do take some blame I run this thing like a off road machine. I just wont trust it so much anymore.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat n hat View Post
Well I dont mean to steal the thread but. I was in PA. riding and was on a technical rocky trail going up the mountain and at the top I turned off the 4x4 then turned onto a flat dirt road. I let my buddys gazer go ahead a bit to let the dust settle (and its a good thing I did) I got up to maybe 30mph and crunch bang boom. The front tires stoped and we didnt it slid sideways then rolled. Thank god we were going slow and wife wasnt with me. We normaly run as fast as we can, I ride with RZR guys so I dont let them get away. Anyway I took it to my dealer and they say my extended warranty was over and cat wouldnt cover the damage anyway because I have made mods to the car. So I called the insurance guy and they covered all repairs. I waited to post about it till it was all sorted out. I love my Cat and will keep it, but this was hard to deal with. I do take some blame I run this thing like a off road machine. I just wont trust it so much anymore.
Did it bust the diff case? Guess I got lucky if you want to call it that. The drunk ass riding with me wouldn't even put his harness on. It scares me to think what could have happened.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement