another weekend cut short. - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

another weekend cut short.

well guys , after planning this trip for the last couple of months , i got 75 miles into our Aravipa canyon trip and had to turn around a limp home ,

after 25 miles of pavement we made our first stop and wheni got back in to leave my shifter said Hi and so did the dash , but it acted like i was in two gears at once . shifted to rev and it moved back but got stuck in rev. got out rocked the car and shifted back into hi and off i went thinking crap what now ???? it did this 3 more times till we all stopped for lunch and i decided to mess with the shift cable and linkage . after lots of adjusting and taking the cable off the shifter and moving it maually i found that i could reverse and no hi or lo , or i could get hi and no low or rev , and to get either one i had to move the shifter back and forth a bunch and blip the throttle ,

i had to turn around and limp it back 25 miles to phone service and have a trailer come and get me . if i shut the car off or let it idle it will drop out of gear with out moveing the the shifter . i havea feeling some thing came loose on the main shft in the trans because the detents still feel right but theres no gear there . and the way it locked two gears in at once .

anybody had anything like this yet ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 11:38 AM
Loyal Member

Matt

Really sorry to hear that you had such a problem with the XTZ on this trip you had planned. I know you and I both have had our share of limping out of the desert and it sucks any way you look at it. I know there are some guys that have talked about similar issues that you are having and let's see who posts up about this. I have had to adjust my shifter engage and travel end points a few times cause my junk couldn't find a gear. Sounds like your issue may be deeper then this. Let us know. Stay in the fight!

Todd
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 04:22 PM
Jounior Member

The part of being stuck in two gears at once sounds a lot like another forum members issue, and I'm sure he will jump in and talk about it. Other than that I personally can't remember of hearing anyone else having internal transmission issues on these units. This trouble you have been having really sucks.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 04:42 PM
Jounior Member

http://webservices.motorsportdealers...S/0743-914.Gif

number 2

2 - SKU: 0822-014
Gear Select, Reverse

number 14

14 - SKU: 0822-007
Gear Select, Sliding

somebody on arcticchat once had a problem with these gears. something about a fork came loose or something. its been a good while back and was on the Tcat but the same exact engine and trans you have. maybe your problem???

///AIRDAM clutch machining
< http://airdamclutches.com/ >
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 07:49 PM

I had this or a similar problem. Was on a trip up in Walker, CA. On the last day going to Bodie I backed it out of the trailer and it would not go forward. Messed with it a while, including adjusting the shifter cable. Was going to give up and ran it in reverse to try and turn around to put in trailer and when decelerating heard a noise and then forward worked (for a while). 4 more times on the trip it would not go forward. Would run in reverse and then forward would work again. Took it to the shop and it did it there for them and then forward nor reverse would work. A pin came loose in the transmission and went through the whole bottom end of the engine. $3500 and three pages of parts to replace. Luckily under warranty (3rd major issue - extended warranty has more than paid for itself). Should be getting the cat back this coming week. Doing the desert run (Ocotillo, Buttercup, Glamis, Dumont) in two weeks. Hopefully my issues are done.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadGod View Post
I had this or a similar problem. Was on a trip up in Walker, CA. On the last day going to Bodie I backed it out of the trailer and it would not go forward. Messed with it a while, including adjusting the shifter cable. Was going to give up and ran it in reverse to try and turn around to put in trailer and when decelerating heard a noise and then forward worked (for a while). 4 more times on the trip it would not go forward. Would run in reverse and then forward would work again. Took it to the shop and it did it there for them and then forward nor reverse would work. A pin came loose in the transmission and went through the whole bottom end of the engine. $3500 and three pages of parts to replace. Luckily under warranty (3rd major issue - extended warranty has more than paid for itself). Should be getting the cat back this coming week. Doing the desert run (Ocotillo, Buttercup, Glamis, Dumont) in two weeks. Hopefully my issues are done.

that sures sounds like mine ! Chris if i have time tomarrow morning im going to run it over to you . ill call ya . mine should still have warranty till feb . have your tech study up
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 08:47 PM

Sorry to here the bad news. So did the advance key workout? Were did you get it and how much?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadGod View Post
can you find out specifically what pin did this damage so maybe we could work on a preventitive measure.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 09:13 PM
Jounior Member

It sounds like you are having the same issue I had last year. I was told by the dealer that there is a clip/spacer of some sort that on the gear selector that is able to somehow dislodge itself from the shaft. I did not make this repair myself as the vehicle was under warranty but I was told it is easy to find out if yours has had this issue because this clip/spacer will probably be at the bottom of your oil pan.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 09:46 PM
Jounior Member

He got to know these engines real well recently. He had to completely rebuild two of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement