Rattling Cat - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

Question Rattling Cat

Hello every one, just found out how to enter the forum ! I`m just new at this so please be patient.

I have a 2008 650 Prowler a year old now, and just lately have experienced a rattling sound when applying the brakes. Not sure what the case is but it seems that the rear brake is initiating the noise to the transmition.
What can be done
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 10:09 PM

I think somebody on here has stated that this is caused by a warped brake disc on the rear.

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!!

07 Prowler 650 H1 XT
3000lb. Warn winch
2" lift by Highlifter
30" Silverbacks on 14" SS112's
FMF Powercore exhaust
Dynatech CDI box
rejetted with Jets R Us OEM jets
stage 1&2 by ///AIRDAM
clocked secondary to B3
19 gram rollers (red)
2" snorkel by me
chrome skull shifter
LED tail lights in bed by me
fog lights
roof
custom doors by me
custom removable rear cage by me & friends
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 10:29 PM

I know what noise your are talking about. I was told that it was the brake rotor also. I changed the brake rotor and the brake pads. no change in the noise. I spun the drive shaft back and forth by hand and can hear the noise from the shaft. I don't know yet what the cause is???? trying to figure that out....

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 04:14 PM

I've also heard it could be the belt slapping around when hard on the brakes. Your new rotor may not be true either. You may have to have it turned on a lathe to be certain.

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!!

07 Prowler 650 H1 XT
3000lb. Warn winch
2" lift by Highlifter
30" Silverbacks on 14" SS112's
FMF Powercore exhaust
Dynatech CDI box
rejetted with Jets R Us OEM jets
stage 1&2 by ///AIRDAM
clocked secondary to B3
19 gram rollers (red)
2" snorkel by me
chrome skull shifter
LED tail lights in bed by me
fog lights
roof
custom doors by me
custom removable rear cage by me & friends
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 07:51 PM

I did check the rotor (put on a solid level surface) and it was flat. I checked the wear pattern and it looks even. funny thing is I tried replicating the noise in reverse and it does not happen.?????
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 09:44 PM
Jounior Member

This is a normal thing. If you break hard and have the tires starting to lock up then you will hear this noise. All our quads do it and so does my prowler. If its under normal breaking then I can help you.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 11:13 PM

most of that noise is coming from the bevel(transfer)gears due to the clearance between the gears causing a chatter noise.diassembling the entire eng and shimming these gears tighter will greatly lessen the noise.it will not remove it completely because of all the other transmission gears involved and their clearances.if you ever have these bevel gears fail,and they occasionally do,have them shimmed to the tight end of the range.they always seem to be on the loose end.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Rattlin Cat

I may seem to come from the engine but i`m not sure since the brake shoes are making the same noise when thinkered with. Now to say the thruth the sound only appears when I slighly apply the brakes forward or reverse. sound will stop when hit hard or appling the gas and brake toghether. Wonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by team arctic View Post
most of that noise is coming from the bevel(transfer)gears due to the clearance between the gears causing a chatter noise.diassembling the entire eng and shimming these gears tighter will greatly lessen the noise.it will not remove it completely because of all the other transmission gears involved and their clearances.if you ever have these bevel gears fail,and they occasionally do,have them shimmed to the tight end of the range.they always seem to be on the loose end.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patal View Post
i may seem to come from the engine but i`m not sure since the brake shoes are making the same noise when thinkered with. Now to say the thruth the sound only appears when i slighly apply the brakes forward or reverse. Sound will stop when hit hard or appling the gas and brake toghether. Wonder
the noise stops if you hit the brakes while appling throttle because you are loading the gears with eng power,the gears only make noise when they are unloaded thus allowing them the freedom to rattle against each other.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 08:31 PM

The rattle is there regardless if I am going fast or slow. It is worse when going fast and braking then when at slower speeds. I think I will bring it in to the dealer to have the gears checked. I do have extended warranty but don't know if it will cover that??? I know it will probably not hurt anything to drive it that way, but it is annoying.

2011 xtz white
Custom snorkeled
ITP ss 312 wheels
28" zillas
QA1 350lb springs(rear)
HID's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement