Xtz nfg!!! - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Jounior Member

Xtz nfg!!!

Hey guys, is AC in way over their heads with the 1000 XTZ??? I had so far 2 blown engines, numerous tie-rods break, shafts, all that B.S. I've had it 18 months, and no word of a lie, its spent 9 of that in the shop!! I dropped it off on September 8, 2010, and just got off the phone with the dealer, and it still is not ready!!! I dropped it off because after I got my new engine, It was very sluggish, it would get to top speed all right, but as soon as I would hit a mud-hole, it would never shift down. I said it was something in the engine, dealer said clutching. They replaced my belt and put all the new clutching stuff in from the 2011 XTZ. Then they took it out for a ride, was even worse! They found that my motor was twisting so bad, that it was wearing a hole through my valve cover, almost all the way through, and it messed up my u-joint, to the point where it was seized, hence the sluggish power. So they are talking with AC, and hopefully come up with an answer as to what to do, either a limiter strap or weld it. I am so fed up!!! What do I do? I am soooo getting a CAN-AM!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 07:35 PM
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidds View Post
Hey guys, is AC in way over their heads with the 1000 XTZ??? I had so far 2 blown engines, numerous tie-rods break, shafts, all that B.S. I've had it 18 months, and no word of a lie, its spent 9 of that in the shop!! I dropped it off on September 8, 2010, and just got off the phone with the dealer, and it still is not ready!!! I dropped it off because after I got my new engine, It was very sluggish, it would get to top speed all right, but as soon as I would hit a mud-hole, it would never shift down. I said it was something in the engine, dealer said clutching. They replaced my belt and put all the new clutching stuff in from the 2011 XTZ. Then they took it out for a ride, was even worse! They found that my motor was twisting so bad, that it was wearing a hole through my valve cover, almost all the way through, and it messed up my u-joint, to the point where it was seized, hence the sluggish power. So they are talking with AC, and hopefully come up with an answer as to what to do, either a limiter strap or weld it. I am so fed up!!! What do I do? I am soooo getting a CAN-AM!!
So go get a CanHAM, and put up with smoked Belts and not knowing if your front diff will work when it wants too. I under stand your frustration but please most of the others have some nasty problems too!

2009 Prowler 700 XTX Walker Evans Shocks,STI Roctane 27/9/14 and 27/11/14 tires,Warn skid plates,Ridgid Ind Prerunner Cage,Home made spare tire carrier,Hids high and low beams,1.5 inch wheel spacers,E Brake Alarm, Rear diff vent mod Etc. NO TURF SAVER!
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 07:45 PM

Sorry about your troubles. Sounds like you've got a lemon.......which is possible with any brand. They are all going to have their problems. Every shop i pass by is loaded with PO PO's. The whino is not without its problems either. They all have issues to work through. But i will tell you this, i've seen the cant am in action in person and wasn't at all impressed. I guess its different strokes for different folks.

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!!

07 Prowler 650 H1 XT
3000lb. Warn winch
2" lift by Highlifter
30" Silverbacks on 14" SS112's
FMF Powercore exhaust
Dynatech CDI box
rejetted with Jets R Us OEM jets
stage 1&2 by ///AIRDAM
clocked secondary to B3
19 gram rollers (red)
2" snorkel by me
chrome skull shifter
LED tail lights in bed by me
fog lights
roof
custom doors by me
custom removable rear cage by me & friends

post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 07:49 PM
Jounior Member

I would tend to agree with the poster if going he is going thru such misery. Not on the commander part, but to the quality of machine he has purchased. If you are abusing your machine and expect it to eat everything, then be prepared to pay.
If you are the average user and have a lemon then you hopefully have an extended warranty and can fight for a new engine and whatever else it takes to make your machine work as designed for the duration of the warranty.
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 07:57 PM
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SABORTOOTH View Post
I would tend to agree with the poster if going he is going thru such misery. Not on the commander part, but to the quality of machine he has purchased. If you are abusing your machine and expect it to eat everything, then be prepared to pay.
If you are the average user and have a lemon then you hopefully have an extended warranty and can fight for a new engine and whatever else it takes to make your machine work as designed for the duration of the warranty.
Im not saying he has But some people put gig heavy tires on Prowlers and complain the they are blowing up their difs they run thru thick mud and complain that they break axles, I heard the same thing when I was a Ford tech with Mustang guys the do things to them beat the crap out of them and right its the companies fault, I agree you need to vent when things like this happen. But PLEASE dont say Arctic Cat is NFG!

2009 Prowler 700 XTX Walker Evans Shocks,STI Roctane 27/9/14 and 27/11/14 tires,Warn skid plates,Ridgid Ind Prerunner Cage,Home made spare tire carrier,Hids high and low beams,1.5 inch wheel spacers,E Brake Alarm, Rear diff vent mod Etc. NO TURF SAVER!
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 08:39 PM

fidds,

sorry about your probs...that really sucks. I dont think AC really thought through the XTZ very well. Any of us that own one know that they rushed this machine to market. They put a big motor in a piece of farm equipment and sold it as a sporty model. I say use the lemon law (if you have one there) and send it back. If you feel like you would have better luck with a different brand .. go for it. From the guys i have talked to that have actually driven the Can Am they say its a great and powerful machine. And Bombardier makes some great products. good luck with what you decide. Split

Prowler 1k - "El Diablo Del Gato"
dude..it rocks...
post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 08:44 PM
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split View Post
fidds,

sorry about your probs...that really sucks. I dont think AC really thought through the XTZ very well. Any of us that own one know that they rushed this machine to market. They put a big motor in a piece of farm equipment and sold it as a sporty model. I say use the lemon law (if you have one there) and send it back. If you feel like you would have better luck with a different brand .. go for it. From the guys i have talked to that have actually driven the Can Am they say its a great and powerful machine. And Bombardier makes some great products. good luck with what you decide. Split
Hey Rick The Commander even smoked a Belt on TV, on Fishers ATV World!

post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 09:13 PM

ok joe..didnt you blow a belt out on the trail? was that your xtx's fault? a faulty belt? a bad design from AC? not sure what your point is? I assume anything with a CVT belt will blow them once in a while...

if fidds wants a Can Am, i say go for it. Can't get much worse for him can it? i mean i would rather blow a belt and replace it then have my ride in the shop for a year.

Prowler 1k - "El Diablo Del Gato"
dude..it rocks...
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 09:55 PM
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split View Post
ok joe..didnt you blow a belt out on the trail? was that your xtx's fault? a faulty belt? a bad design from AC? not sure what your point is? I assume anything with a CVT belt will blow them once in a while...

if fidds wants a Can Am, i say go for it. Can't get much worse for him can it? i mean i would rather blow a belt and replace it then have my ride in the shop for a year.
As a Matter of fact it was a bad belt it was a Carlisle belt that if you do a little research are known for exploding. My first belt was my fault to deep of a river crossing. All I was trying to say ALL utvs have there problems, Does that make them NFG? No it does not. We put these things thru Hell some of use do things that they were not made to do. If they break it does not mean they are NFG all I can tell you that I get tired of hearing people Bash Arctic Cat when something happens A lot of times it is the Arctic Cat Tech that makes a mistake thats why things happen you cant modify a Machine or do things its not meant to do Break it and say its NFG! Thet are made by man and man is not perfect. Thats all I am saying.

post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 10:26 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joes5091 View Post
Hey Rick The Commander even smoked a Belt on TV, on Fishers ATV World!
And to make matters worse, there are lots of reports now that the drive-by-wire system on the Can Am is causing the commanders to nose-dive on big jumps...very potentially dangerous...

Fidd, sorry you have problems, but hey, I think you may have gotten a lemon there, but also consider, perhaps your dealer isn't getting it back together right either... dealers can make a big difference.
Each brand has it's problems, but if you want to, go right ahead and buy the CannedHam... you'll soon find plenty wrong with it...
I've put big, heavy tires on my Prowler and probably run it harder than 98% of the Prowler owners out there, yes, I've had breakage and problems, but nothing that wasn't caused by my pushing it hard. The Prowler is a great machine and is getting rave reviews more and more as time goes by, that's a sign of being a good machine, not being a lemon...
I say go buy the Commander and that's that... see ya...
Sorry if I sound harsh, but I'm tired of people go ballistic on the machines. Machines are machines, they are only going to respond to what we put them through. If you have had 2 blown engines, that is probably something other than Arctic Cat having a bad engine. Broken tie-rods, yes, I've gone thru several, but they were all my fault.
And being in the shop since Sept 9th, that's not Arctic Cat's fault I bet. I'm a dealer, I've never had to wait that long and yes, we had a customer destroy an engine on an XTZ (not AC's fault). From the time he brought it in till it had a brand new engine in it was less than 8 days...

Arctic Cat Prowler Desert Race XTZ: ITP BajaCross tires on ITP Beadlocks, Beard Super TZ Seats, Crowe 5pt harnesses, King Off-Road Racing Shocks, Custom Racing Chassis with 7 inch longer wheelbase, +5 Suspension set at 16 Front and 17 inches Rear inches travel, UTVINC did the tube bending
TEAM PROWLER NATION...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement