engine drama - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

engine drama

Hi guys, I will start by saying I'm not looking to bash, but need some educated input from the members please. 09 Xtz 1000, 4 seat cage, 26 inch bajacrosses on 14 in. wheels, Ron Woods exhaust/intake, and power commander. I am second owner, bought it with 50 miles, currently have 381 on odometer. Went to Dumont for Halloween, noticed only pulling 5k on dash readout set to rpm mode. Was seriously thinking call Airdam for some upgrades, and bragging to fellas with me about unlocked potential, especially 2 guys looking to upgrade from rhinos in my group. Attempted to pull comp hill again for some braggin rights around campfire against rhino/teryx owners, and big backfire before coasting to bottom to be towed back by rhino. Checked it next morning and still won't start, so pulled plugs and found rear plug had no gap, aluminum appearing splatter, and no apparent compression in cylinder.

Fast forward to droping off at dealership, no extended warranty but hoping perhaps they could work some magic with rep as I am aware of other problems from following this forum. Engine dis-assembled to find piston failure on rear cylinder, from top ring land to piston dome, approx 2"'s of piston gone on either intake or exhaust side, but not entire circumference. As my luck would have it, piston material wiped out that head, and appears material went thru intake track and peppered other head/valves, but dealer says re-cut valve seats will suffice.

So.....I'm looking at new cylinder/head for rear, rework front head, gaskets and of course labor. Service tech says he is in contact with AC rep who requested pictures of parts. I'm no engine builder/guru, but appears piston just failed, tech says possible detonation. My question is.....why only 1 cylinder if that's the case( I realize rear could get hotter on v-twin), I feel rig was assembled with reputable add-ons. More importantly....don't want to have a repeat engine failure. Again, my intent is not to bitch, just looking for some educated input so I can get back to enjoying machine, and spend funds on going faster....not potential 3k repair build. What say the experts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 08:11 PM
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzo View Post
Hi guys, I will start by saying I'm not looking to bash, but need some educated input from the members please. 09 Xtz 1000, 4 seat cage, 26 inch bajacrosses on 14 in. wheels, Ron Woods exhaust/intake, and power commander. I am second owner, bought it with 50 miles, currently have 381 on odometer. Went to Dumont for Halloween, noticed only pulling 5k on dash readout set to rpm mode. Was seriously thinking call Airdam for some upgrades, and bragging to fellas with me about unlocked potential, especially 2 guys looking to upgrade from rhinos in my group. Attempted to pull comp hill again for some braggin rights around campfire against rhino/teryx owners, and big backfire before coasting to bottom to be towed back by rhino. Checked it next morning and still won't start, so pulled plugs and found rear plug had no gap, aluminum appearing splatter, and no apparent compression in cylinder.

Fast forward to droping off at dealership, no extended warranty but hoping perhaps they could work some magic with rep as I am aware of other problems from following this forum. Engine dis-assembled to find piston failure on rear cylinder, from top ring land to piston dome, approx 2"'s of piston gone on either intake or exhaust side, but not entire circumference. As my luck would have it, piston material wiped out that head, and appears material went thru intake track and peppered other head/valves, but dealer says re-cut valve seats will suffice.

So.....I'm looking at new cylinder/head for rear, rework front head, gaskets and of course labor. Service tech says he is in contact with AC rep who requested pictures of parts. I'm no engine builder/guru, but appears piston just failed, tech says possible detonation. My question is.....why only 1 cylinder if that's the case( I realize rear could get hotter on v-twin), I feel rig was assembled with reputable add-ons. More importantly....don't want to have a repeat engine failure. Again, my intent is not to bitch, just looking for some educated input so I can get back to enjoying machine, and spend funds on going faster....not potential 3k repair build. What say the experts
Im sorry you are having problems, If you hang on one of our members with XTZ may be able to help you.

2009 Prowler 700 XTX Walker Evans Shocks,STI Roctane 27/9/14 and 27/11/14 tires,Warn skid plates,Ridgid Ind Prerunner Cage,Home made spare tire carrier,Hids high and low beams,1.5 inch wheel spacers,E Brake Alarm, Rear diff vent mod Etc. NO TURF SAVER!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 08:37 PM

that definantly sounds like detonation or a lean condition . what pump gas where you running ? if you werent running hi enough octane and that power comander adjusted too lean can sure cause piston to burn up .
the rear cylinder has a different timing than the front but its retarded from the front timing . so i would lean towards a mechanical failure to cause the advance in timing . another thing to look at is a injector hanging open causing fuel to not make a complete spray pattern . the poor pattern can cause fuel to puddle on the pistion and the cause it to burn up . this would be seen on the intake side .

did you have any backfire conditions on the deceleration . drawing in cool air thru an exhaust leak can also cause damage to pistons .

sorry to hear your went down too . im waiting for mine to get a new short block

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 11:01 PM
Founding Member

Thank you for starting your post that way. I am sure the XTZ guys will help you out soon.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

SETH
TEAM PROWLER NATION
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for input so far......pump gas.....believe it was 91 from valero.....which I was recently told may have more alcohol content than others.....backfire was under load climbing hill......as soon as it popped I turned and was able to coast down......I'm not aware of any problems with power commander......do u guys think auto-tune would've been worthwhile upgrade possibly saving the damage? I am waiting for AC rep to get back to dealer.....hoping perhaps they will assist. I should clarify by saying I realize it is an offroad machine, things happen, and you can't make everybody happy all the time....just disappointed and made it worse that I was bragging to friends about the cat and trying to get few of them in market to switch to Ac from rhino/teryxs.....and I will be purchasing extended warranty program now.....just hoping to avoid repeat problems and looking for some insight from members.....Thanks for your responses
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 01:32 PM

i would have to say you are running too lean . with the intake and exhaust allowing a free flow of air and the power comander was not correctly adjusted to the elevation . the auto tune feature allows and adjusts for the change in elevation and fuel mixture to prevent such a lean condition . it sucks that this happened to you . but when installing hot rod parts it is very crucial that everything is adjust and programed to work together .

another good idea to do and i do , is to run some 104 octane booster or something of the equvilant to raise the octane levels . i run it anytime i plan on running hard , like duneing or extented high speeds . these things make so much noise that it would be hard to hear the detonation in the engine until damage has happened . then its too late !

i would recomend adding the auto tune and double checking the software that programed in your powercomander . with added weight you may need a richer fuel map . a air/fuel ratio gauge wouldnt be a bad idea to keep an eye on it when u change ridding areas .
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 10:50 PM
Loyal Member

Maybe a small air leak or a plugged injector or just not enough fuel for the mods and load.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 07:04 AM
Loyal Member

better to start off with a tune so rich your eyes burn from fuel and back it down after you find the needs ... but most guys think buying brand X part and throwing it on will get you a bad azz ride install it and then go balls out only to have something like this happen ...

good luck on proper repairs n fix'in it

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 06:11 PM

Sorry to hear your bad news but I agree with Soaz it sounds like a lean condition. If you dont have a A/F meter or auto tune you wouldnt know if you were leaned out. And with aftermarket performance parts I was told A/C wont cover issues like this. Good luck maybe they will cover it.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Hi guys, thought I would post an update regarding my engine troubles....heard back from service tech who was kind enough to try to get hold of AC rep on his day off as he knew I was eagerly waiting for response.....AC rep advised they would cover damaged hard parts as "good faith due to low mileage/use on machine"........saves me 1500.00 or roughly half my repair bill......I feel happy knowing rep took time to consider my dilemma......and will be looking to dyno machine very soon to ensure no other issues, and for lil peace of mind......Thank you Arctic Cat and forum members who posted information regarding possible cause. My belief is that probably combo of lean and crappy gas allowed piston to fail.

On a side note.....anyone aware of rumored MSD ignition/fuel programmer coming soon for XTZ....guys in my neck of woods really impressed with MSD on teryxs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement