Is plowing snow a bad idea? - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Jounior Member

Is plowing snow a bad idea?

Just wondering if plowing snow with my 07 650 would be a bad idea or not?
Some are saying that it will destroy the machine, and others say it wont hurt a thing, I am sure it will give the bike some wear and tear but just not sure what parts will self destruct, or which parts (if any)should have some extra attention while plowing..
Any suggestions!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 03:10 PM
Jounior Member

I live in Muskoka Ontario canada. Let me tell you, I had an 06 sportsman with a plow on it and i thought it was great, BUT once it got stolen and I bought a prowler it is by far the best thing for plowing. Its comfortable, cuts the wind if you have front and rear windshield and it has enough weight to push tons of snow. My turf saver diff is almost cooked but i dont think it is from plowing. If you get any amount of snowfall where you live you will be happy with a plow on your prowler. Just make sure you dont leave your blade up when you arent using your machine cuz its hard on springs.

"What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas. Except for the herpes, that S**t'll come back with ya"
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 03:20 PM

Heck no, you don't want to plow with it!!! It's much funner to play in it

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 03:32 PM

I've heard the same things even on full size trucks.

I think it more depends on how you use it. If you are slamming into frozen snow banks at high speeds it most likely is going to damage sooner or later. Use if for pushing snow and not thinking it will move the previous piles and I think they'll do just fine.

I'll be finding out soon enough myself.

Since these pics I've extended it to 72 inches instead of the 60 inch shown.

--

2010 Prowler XTZ 1000-
27" Grim Reaper Tires/Home Made Roof/Arctic Cat Mirror/Quadboss Folding Windshield w/ home made support bar/LED Tail-Brake lights//Venom 4000 lb Winch/Amsteel synthetic line/Home Made Doors/Custom Adjustable Seats/Custom Oh Crap bar for passenger/Tonneau Cover/Fat Max storage Box in bed
Tiger Tail Towing system
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 03:34 PM

You can plow with it. Keep it in low if you are pushing the heavy stuff. I have found that the winch will over heat if used too much but will work fine once it cools off. It sure beats shoveling
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 08:38 PM
Jounior Member

snorkle the intake to keep snow out of aircleaner
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Jounior Member

Thanks for all of the info guys.
And Triplej, how did you extend the plow do you have a steel roller to make the bend of the blade, or did you do it by hand?
I was thinking of making my own plow blade but didnt think i would be able to make the curve of the blade or the angle iron supports behind the blade...
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 04:31 AM

I just used UHMF and riveted it to the blade as I only had to extend 6" on both sides.

It's just sitting in place in this pic though.

The curving of the angle iron is easy if you have a welder, just cut knotches about every inch or so in the point of the angle about 1/2 way through, make your bend and then weld it all back up.

Rolling of the metal though I've never quite figured out a way to do without proper tools. I know some have used hot water heaters cut in half, 55 gallon drums cut in half, etc. but it would be best to find a blade if possible to start with.

-

2010 Prowler XTZ 1000-
27" Grim Reaper Tires/Home Made Roof/Arctic Cat Mirror/Quadboss Folding Windshield w/ home made support bar/LED Tail-Brake lights//Venom 4000 lb Winch/Amsteel synthetic line/Home Made Doors/Custom Adjustable Seats/Custom Oh Crap bar for passenger/Tonneau Cover/Fat Max storage Box in bed
Tiger Tail Towing system
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Jounior Member

OK I see what you did. Yea as far as bending the steel i have never been able to get the same arc through out the peice even with a steel brake, I could have used other pieces welded togeather but i didnt want it to look like it was home,I MEAN custome made..
I found a guy that will sell me the complete plow set-up for around 350.00 so i think i will go with that..
Well thanks for the input Triplej,
And congrats on the new machine, it looks good..

OH! one more thing, was the 60" plow enough for the prowler, or when turned will the tires be out side the cutting area??
I was thinking of going with the 72" but i was worried about storage, for i dont have a lot of room to spare, so if the 60" will cut it i will go with that, I just dont want the windrow falling back into the tires causing an uneven cut..

Last edited by Dnspream; 11-22-2010 at 04:16 PM.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 06:24 PM

If you do a full turn it you will be driving on the windrow, the partial turn is really border line and most likely will be running on part of the windrow, remember your machine is 61 inches wide. That is why I extended mine out to 72" just to be safe.

2010 Prowler XTZ 1000-
Tiger Tail Towing system
Sponsored Links
Advertisement