XTZ transmission failures - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
soazcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Willcox Az
Posts: 491
 
XTZ transmission failures

ok guys i just got my car back from the shop , i had to have a new short block installed under warranty because of the thrust washers breaking and taking out the transmission .

ive been talking to a few of you , since this happened and i know of 4 of us that have had the same problem . it seems that all of our problems have started after a belt or axle breakage under full power or load . it seams as if the shock from the break it casuing the washer to shatter .

now i did get a few minutes to look over my destroyed parts when i was at the dealer and it looks like a lack of lube to the mainshaft trans gears and washers . the gears showed signs of heat and scoring on the teeth and the washers were blue in color .

my question is has anyone else seen this , and or found a cure for it ? i talked with another member about drilling the case above the trans gears and installing a return lube nozzle off of the return side of the c oil cooler . my next question is should we be adding a lil more oil to the system than is recomended because at high rpm the trans is starved for oil ?

weve also talked about having the washers CRYOED or made from 300M but if its a lack of oil thats casuing them to become brittle and then break when the machine is shocked by a belt explosion or axle break the fancy washers are only a bandaid to a more severe problem ......


i have little faith left in my car right now and im torn between letting it go and trying to solve more of the issues that it has . i would love to hear everyones idea and experinces on this .

thanks, SoAzCat
soazcat is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 03:39 PM
Senior Member
 
team arctic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NORTH POLE ALASKA
Posts: 421
 
i run my oil level full to the dipstick hole.now im not running consistant high rpms either,but no probs so far.
team arctic is offline  
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
soazcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Willcox Az
Posts: 491
 
nobody has any ideas?
soazcat is offline  
 
post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 10:28 AM
Loyal Member
 
flying121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,390
 
Here is a picture of one of the washers that gives way and goes through your motor. This can be found on the XTZ1000 secondary transmission assembly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0326.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	1703  
flying121 is offline  
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 03:50 PM
Loyal Member
 
Joes5091's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Waddell/Surprise. AZ
Posts: 2,681
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by soazcat View Post
ok guys i just got my car back from the shop , i had to have a new short block installed under warranty because of the thrust washers breaking and taking out the transmission .

ive been talking to a few of you , since this happened and i know of 4 of us that have had the same problem . it seems that all of our problems have started after a belt or axle breakage under full power or load . it seams as if the shock from the break it casuing the washer to shatter .

now i did get a few minutes to look over my destroyed parts when i was at the dealer and it looks like a lack of lube to the mainshaft trans gears and washers . the gears showed signs of heat and scoring on the teeth and the washers were blue in color .

my question is has anyone else seen this , and or found a cure for it ? i talked with another member about drilling the case above the trans gears and installing a return lube nozzle off of the return side of the c oil cooler . my next question is should we be adding a lil more oil to the system than is recomended because at high rpm the trans is starved for oil ?

weve also talked about having the washers CRYOED or made from 300M but if its a lack of oil thats casuing them to become brittle and then break when the machine is shocked by a belt explosion or axle break the fancy washers are only a bandaid to a more severe problem ......


i have little faith left in my car right now and im torn between letting it go and trying to solve more of the issues that it has . i would love to hear everyones idea and experinces on this .

thanks, SoAzCat
Could that other ting have caused that problem too?(wet clutch delete)

2009 Prowler 700 XTX Walker Evans Shocks,STI Roctane 27/9/14 and 27/11/14 tires,Warn skid plates,Ridgid Ind Prerunner Cage,Home made spare tire carrier,Hids high and low beams,1.5 inch wheel spacers,E Brake Alarm, Rear diff vent mod Etc. NO TURF SAVER!
Joes5091 is offline  
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 04:01 PM
Loyal Member
 
flying121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,390
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joes5091 View Post
Could that other ting have caused that problem too?(wet clutch delete)
No the 4 guys that have had the problem have stock clutching.
flying121 is offline  
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 04:03 PM
Loyal Member
 
flying121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,390
 
Might be related to a lack of oil though. I discovered that the late model 2010 XTZ 1000 has a new redesigned short block with a few different crank case vents and they removed the oil pump diverter so the engine makes better oil pressure. The lack of oil to the secondary transmission shaft may have cause these washers to fail.
flying121 is offline  
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 04:05 PM
Loyal Member
 
Joes5091's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Waddell/Surprise. AZ
Posts: 2,681
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying121 View Post
No the 4 guys that have had the problem have stock clutching.
Thats good to hear!

2009 Prowler 700 XTX Walker Evans Shocks,STI Roctane 27/9/14 and 27/11/14 tires,Warn skid plates,Ridgid Ind Prerunner Cage,Home made spare tire carrier,Hids high and low beams,1.5 inch wheel spacers,E Brake Alarm, Rear diff vent mod Etc. NO TURF SAVER!
Joes5091 is offline  
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 01:44 PM
Loyal Member
 
sandchris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PEORIA,AZ
Posts: 3,564
 
You got the new style short block or the old one? I wonder if they addressed this problem in the new bottom end? Obviously ac and cat care know there is a problem cause they are warranting them pretty regular now. What caused them to change them? Is this just a change for the xtz or is it for the thundercat as well?
Just thinking that that thrust washer or shim should be wider or thicker width wise. I don't know if parts on the shaft that that shim shares could be machined some to accommodate thicker shims for the xtz. I just have not heard that the thunder cats are having theses issues. Is it just the xtz and the heavier loads?



Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
sandchris is offline  
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 05:18 PM
Founding Member
 
Darryl89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Farmington, NM
Posts: 1,048
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandchris View Post
You got the new style short block or the old one? I wonder if they addressed this problem in the new bottom end? Obviously ac and cat care know there is a problem cause they are warranting them pretty regular now. What caused them to change them? Is this just a change for the xtz or is it for the thundercat as well?
Just thinking that that thrust washer or shim should be wider or thicker width wise. I don't know if parts on the shaft that that shim shares could be machined some to accommodate thicker shims for the xtz. I just have not heard that the thunder cats are having theses issues. Is it just the xtz and the heavier loads?
The old style engine isn't available any longer, when I ordered 2 replacement engines for customers, both times they subbed over to the new engine. You have to also change out the bracket that mounts the shift cable to the engine casing.

It does have quite a few different case changes. I think oiling or should I say, lack of, is the culprit here. I've thought about running an external liine and tap into the case to add oiling capability to that area. Haven't had time to dig into the case and figure it out yet though...

Arctic Cat Prowler Desert Race XTZ: ITP BajaCross tires on ITP Beadlocks, Beard Super TZ Seats, Crowe 5pt harnesses, King Off-Road Racing Shocks, Custom Racing Chassis with 7 inch longer wheelbase, +5 Suspension set at 16 Front and 17 inches Rear inches travel, UTVINC did the tube bending
TEAM PROWLER NATION...
Darryl89 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59