Bevel gear removal - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Jounior Member

Bevel gear removal

Hi all:
In the midst of a bad problem with my 650 prowler. It appears I have a bevel gear failure.....no surprise I guess. It doesn't help when the 16 year old son tries to get "unstuck" with the hand brake on and the pedal to the metal!!

Question is, it is necessary to remove both the left hand side and the right hand side. I read on other sites that only the magneto side (right) needs to removed, but the images of the bevel gear which I have viewed seem to suggest that the left hand (clutch side) needs to be removed.

I've attempted to pull the clutches but haven't been successful yet. Now I'm thinking, perhaps its not necessary. Anyway, hoping to attack the clutch side again tonight now that I've borrowed an impact wrench and fashioned up a wrench to hold the primary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 05:07 PM
Jounior Member

You will need a good impact and you wont need the fancy wrench
1 1/4" deep socket on primary clutch
1 7/16" shallow socket on secondary clutch
Red locktite
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 01:06 AM
Rides all the time

It all has to come apart. Sorry to tell ya but it does. Careful splitting the cases the bearing is pressed on the crank and there are bolts hiding all over the place that keep the cases together.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 04:46 AM Thread Starter
Jounior Member

Bevel gear update

Thanks for the info fellas....sure enough, the impact wrench was the answer. I've used one before, but never to do any high-torque work.

Removed both sides of the case and found many hidden bolts. The case halves came apart fairly easily (once all the hidden bolts were removed ). The bad news is bevel gear failure and a moderately bad torn up casing. A minor crack in the casing but not enough to worry about. I hadn't bought any parts (anticiptaing the worst) so once I source those I should be ready to reassemble. Like so many have said before, it's not a really hard job, but you WILL NOT get away without an impact wrench.

I will be posting another post soon. I've found a mysterious miniature spring in the base of the engine.....I have no idea where it came from ...will post a pic next week. It's off to Toronto to see a hockey game this weekend!!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 11:02 AM
Rides all the time

If it is a super tiny little guy about the dia. of a ink pin spring, it probably came from your shift indicator. There are tiny springs behind both of the contacts that fall out once removed.
Don't ask how I know....
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 04:38 AM Thread Starter
Jounior Member

Thanks for the suggestion, it is fairly small but it isn't that type of spring and I hadn't removed the shift indicator but will be extra careful given this warning.

I'll take a picture tonight and post on a new thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement