Toy hauler vs. Double pull - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Jounior Member

Toy hauler vs. Double pull

Opinions please....

I am thinking of upgrading my bumperpull trailer to a fifth wheel or toy hauler. I can get a nicely equiped fifth wheel for a good price as there is a buyers market in my area. I currently have a 7 x14 foot trailer I haul the 700 XTX in and would have to double pull if I went with a fifth wheel. I want a toy hauler, just need to convince the wife. I only have a budget of around 15k.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nater View Post
Opinions please....

I am thinking of upgrading my bumperpull trailer to a fifth wheel or toy hauler. I can get a nicely equiped fifth wheel for a good price as there is a buyers market in my area. I currently have a 7 x14 foot trailer I haul the 700 XTX in and would have to double pull if I went with a fifth wheel. I want a toy hauler, just need to convince the wife. I only have a budget of around 15k.

we pull both ways around here all the time . during the summer we pull doubles with 5th wheels pulling boats or jet skis . i have a buddy that pulls his AC on a small 12ft trailer behind his 5th wheel toy hauler and uses the little trailer on the xtz when he goes hunting to haul out game .. its all matter of what u wanna haul
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 12:40 PM
Jounior Member

i would get the toy hauler if it were me

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 02:50 PM

I've done the double pull for years, just be sure everything is balanced out and you have enough truck to do the job.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0849 (Small).jpg
Views:	9961
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	1941  

2010 Prowler XTZ 1000-
27" Grim Reaper Tires/Home Made Roof/Arctic Cat Mirror/Quadboss Folding Windshield w/ home made support bar/LED Tail-Brake lights//Venom 4000 lb Winch/Amsteel synthetic line/Home Made Doors/Custom Adjustable Seats/Custom Oh Crap bar for passenger/Tonneau Cover/Fat Max storage Box in bed
Tiger Tail Towing system
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Jounior Member

do you use any special tatics or just common sense. My trailer is a single axle, do they make an equalizer for this purpose
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 04:26 PM
Jounior Member

how about a nice cargo trailor, and outfit it like you want. use the play-more for example. another bonus is you'll have a trailor that is built stronger to handle some of the rough places you may encounter. i know my inlaws toy hauler is a constant battle keeping everthing fixed, from water leaks to cheap panels comming loose.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 06:06 PM
Loyal Member

Have you considered the laws where you will be pulling doubles if you go that way? Some states say 65 overall. Some say 75 overall. And here is the biggy with the insurance company, are you legal with the gross combined weight? I know most of you know what the gross combined weight is but some don't. So the gross combined weight is everything. Passengers, fuel, dogs, water, propane, food, each vehicle, everything. You might be surprised if you went over a scale loaded. Short story for ya. Read this story about a guy on a different forum towing a 32 foot tongue pull trailer that grossed out at 13000k. His Ford was legal for 12500 off the receiver hitch. He caused a fatal accident. Guess what? Insurance company canceled. Guy lost everything. And I think he was charged with vehicular manslaughter. Not saying it is gonna happen to any of you but If you have a accident the lawyers can have a field day with you if you are overweight or over length or both.
Also the dmv laws of some states (Arizona) states that you are only allowed to double pull to the interstate.On the interstate and back home. So I guess no cruising central or the boulevard double towing. I would double check your states double laws. For instance California double law states that 65 feet is the max overall limit without special permits or like for tow trucks. And you have to have a class b license I think. Obviously these are California laws so probably a little stricter than most states. Another thing that always comes up is the risk of the modified frame on the fifth wheel or goose neck trailer to install the receiver for the second trailer. If you modify or have someone modify the rear bumper area who is responsible?
As you can probably tell I did some research on pulling doubles. I have pulled doubles. And will probably keep doing it. Just a lot of liability it makes me possibly liable for. If I had it to do all over again and I will. I am gonna get a trailer I don't have to double pull with.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 10:33 PM

thats very good advice Chris ! im one that usually doest worry about the legality of things too much but then again i dont put myself in a situation where legality needs to be questioned ...i have a few friends and family on the eastern part of the country and in CA that have to worry about anytime they hook up to a trailer weather or no they are within the local/state laws . in many cases that they have been written up its a matter of interputation of the law and usually the law wins .
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 05:57 AM
Jounior Member

I have a double/ triple license in North Dakota I wouldn't even consider pulling a double recreational settup everything is way to light. To pull doubles weight in the first one is definitaly to your advantage
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 07:42 AM

i dont see the sense in pulling double myself. I have plenty of friends that do it and some of the places we camp it takes them a lot longer to get in and setup and out again. Heck i have a hard enough time pulln into a gas station with a 30ft bumper pull toy hauler... The only thing i personally see best with a double is not getting my hauler dirty,...lol...do what you feel comfortable with. Any toy hauler is a great option over a standard trailer tho..IMO..

Prowler 1k - "El Diablo Del Gato"
dude..it rocks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement