opinions wanted on new prowler purchase - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

opinions wanted on new prowler purchase

I am looking to buy my first prowler soon, and want to hear what you think on model choices. I've had AC quads for years, but my wife and I think a utv would be more fun on long range, moderate paced rides. I've ridden and enjoyed a couple of razors, but prefer the cats for many reasons. We ride a mix of desert and forest, with lots of altitude, terrain, and trail width variation. I believe one of the fuel injected models would be wise for the altitude. The carbs really start gagging at 9000ft.

I was considering a low hours 650, just to get my feet wet, but I haven't seen one for sale here for months.

My first choice would be a new old stock xtx, but I have reservations about the longevity of the turf saver. Searching posts here led me to the throttle spring mod, which makes sense, but with the 2011 xtx deleting the turf saver, I wanted to hear your thoughts.

Another option I am considering is the xtz, but it would be more money, and my budget should ideally leave room for mods. Also, I still have the quads if I want to light my hair on fire. For my intended use, the xtx might be plenty. However, to much is never enough.

I would love a 2011, but there are some deals on the old stock machines, and I want to have some money left over for aftermarket stuff.

From my atv experience, I will probably be ordering shocks as soon as the machine comes home. From what I've read here, aftermarket seats are also on the list. I will need to get some time on the machine to decide if I want to go further.

Anyway, I'm looking for your insight and advice.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 09:42 PM
Founding Member

Mike,
I would buy a nice used machine that is priced rigth to get your feet wet and see if you and the wife enjoy it. I have a 2006 650 XT, it's carbed but I have had great luck running from sea level to 9000 ft. Of course at 9000 ft it suffered some but so did my friends EFI Ranger. The 650 is a sold machine and I am sure you can find good deals out there. The 700 XTX is another good machine to. It may be hard to find and XTZ at a low price to get your feet wet but that all depends on your budget. If you can find and XTZ for a good price you would not need much for go fast parts they run really good stock.

Hope this helps
Seth

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

SETH
TEAM PROWLER NATION
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, Seth. If I can find a 650 I will probably go that route, but they are thin on the ground lately. It's been a long winter, but I think we are about done, so we are getting itchy. I have multiple sites I watch, so I could still get lucky. I had to pass up a couple last fall, because I had to firm some stuff up, but one could show up any day. We have lost many dealers in the region due to the economy and credit issues, which makes them kind of scarce, but I am watching multiple states and may end up traveling for the right deal.

Mike

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 11:45 PM

You might check Bass pro for a left over 09 or 10.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 12:38 AM
Rides all the time

Sounds like you have done your homework.
That is great.

Best of luck finding the machine.
I would not let the turf saver throw you off of the 700xtx.
Seems like after the spring mod the owners were happy.
As there were no more complaints after they did the spring mod.

just my .02 from what I have read about the xtx.

My 650xt never let me down always got me where I wanted to be and back home.
Just putting in a 1000H2 because I am a power junkie.
I bought the 650 to test the sxs water and I love it. It has been a great experience for my Family.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 03:40 AM

We started out with a new 650 XT, even though I had some issues with it we did enjoy it so when came time to replace we were looking at the 700 as well.

Went to my dealer and test drove one and then he suggested we drive the XTZ, night and day difference between the two.

He then said something that struck home (we've been dealing with him for years and he knows us pretty well), He said you can buy the 700 and be happy for awhile then start modding it to get more or you can buy the XTZ and be happy.

Needless to say we bought the XTZ and I've seen no need to start modding clutch or engine. Been very happy with our decision.

2010 Prowler XTZ 1000-
27" Grim Reaper Tires/Home Made Roof/Arctic Cat Mirror/Quadboss Folding Windshield w/ home made support bar/LED Tail-Brake lights//Venom 4000 lb Winch/Amsteel synthetic line/Home Made Doors/Custom Adjustable Seats/Custom Oh Crap bar for passenger/Tonneau Cover/Fat Max storage Box in bed
Tiger Tail Towing system
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 08:36 AM
Jounior Member

I don't think the 650 would be enough. I have not had the chance to ride in a 700 yet. A lot of good things come to mind when you say 1000. Can't say enough about the XTZ, just one awesome SXS if you ask me. I'd buy mine again in a heart beat!!!

2011 Prowler 1000 XTZ

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 10:30 AM
Founding Member

Good point. I really enjoy my 650 but you know what they say no replacement for displacement

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

SETH
TEAM PROWLER NATION
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 09:18 PM
Loyal Member

Well the 650 is not gonna do it if you want fuel injection. And I am thinking that you are gonna want the xtz. Just from what you wrote. And also the xtz does cost a little more but it will hold it's value better.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

I found a new old stock 09 xtz for $11000, its 300 miles away, but I do have a drivers license. That's the same as a '10 xtx at a nearby dealer. I am sorely tempted.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement