xtz 1000 broken 4wd - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 11
 
xtz 1000 broken 4wd

i bought a used 09 xtz 1000 and the 4x4 will not lock in the front diff will lock up but not the drive shaft comeing out of the motor we changed the oil and there was some long shaveings in the oil so i flused the oil and have got ti out but what could have broke in there and about how much will it cost to fix? also there was a plug under my overide switch that had the 2 wires tied together y? and i cant find the rite plug to fit in the override switch
nvrbanshee is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 06:19 PM
Rides all the time
 
Mustanggeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,510
 
Somebody probably bypassed the override switch so the rev limiter won't engage in reverse. Do you hear the 4wd engage and disengage when you press the switch?
Mustanggeek is offline  
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 11
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustanggeek View Post
Somebody probably bypassed the override switch so the rev limiter won't engage in reverse. Do you hear the 4wd engage and disengage when you press the switch?
thats what i thoght but it still hit rev in reverse... when i flip the switch i hear it maken noise
nvrbanshee is offline  
 
post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 09:26 PM
Loyal Member
 
flying121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,390
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrbanshee View Post
i bought a used 09 xtz 1000 and the 4x4 will not lock in the front diff will lock up but not the drive shaft comeing out of the motor we changed the oil and there was some long shaveings in the oil so i flused the oil and have got ti out but what could have broke in there and about how much will it cost to fix? also there was a plug under my overide switch that had the 2 wires tied together y? and i cant find the rite plug to fit in the override switch

Please post a picture of the parts you found in the oil. You may have broken the thrust washers on the secondary tranny.

2009 Prowler XTZ 1000 with a few modifications. Needs paint & powder coating.

Last edited by flying121; 04-19-2011 at 02:48 PM.
flying121 is offline  
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 02:44 PM
Jounior Member
 
dla67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 244
 
The secondary shaft runs through the transmission and is coupled to the rear section of the shaft and then the rear flange. The transmission drives on the front section of that shaft,that being said if it moves with the rear tires the shaft must be turning. Check the nut on the front yoke and check the yoke splines. I hope this helps!
dla67 is offline  
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 03:00 PM
Loyal Member
 
sandchris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PEORIA,AZ
Posts: 3,564
 
Some guys have had acuator problems too. Just cause the acuator is making noise does not mean it is operating correctly. That is one of the easiests thing to check. You might jack up the front end. And then engage the diff lock and the 4x4. Now if you spin the front tires does the front drive shaft spin too? If it does can you hold the front drive shaft still while someone slowly turns the front tires?



Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
sandchris is offline  
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 04:21 PM
Founding Member
 
Darryl89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Farmington, NM
Posts: 1,048
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandchris View Post
Some guys have had acuator problems too. Just cause the acuator is making noise does not mean it is operating correctly. That is one of the easiests thing to check. You might jack up the front end. And then engage the diff lock and the 4x4. Now if you spin the front tires does the front drive shaft spin too? If it does can you hold the front drive shaft still while someone slowly turns the front tires?
I agree with Chris, there have been problems with the link between the actuator and the front diff. I'm giving serious thought to returning my electronic diff lock back to the old style cable engage.

Arctic Cat Prowler Desert Race XTZ: ITP BajaCross tires on ITP Beadlocks, Beard Super TZ Seats, Crowe 5pt harnesses, King Off-Road Racing Shocks, Custom Racing Chassis with 7 inch longer wheelbase, +5 Suspension set at 16 Front and 17 inches Rear inches travel, UTVINC did the tube bending
TEAM PROWLER NATION...
Darryl89 is offline  
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 11
 
the stuff in the oil was long stright pieces which went in the trash.... when the 4wd switch is engaged the shaft out of the trans still doesent turn doese this help? thanks for the input guys keep it comen
nvrbanshee is offline  
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 07:39 PM
Loyal Member
 
sandchris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PEORIA,AZ
Posts: 3,564
 
Are you saying that the front drive shaft does not turn at all while the rear one is turning?



Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
sandchris is offline  
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 08:05 PM
Jounior Member
 
scheftie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: GODS COUNTRY LANGDON ND
Posts: 157
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl89 View Post
I agree with Chris, there have been problems with the link between the actuator and the front diff. I'm giving serious thought to returning my electronic diff lock back to the old style cable engage.
I lock an old actuator in the 4wd position when I put my tracks on
scheftie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67