xtz 1000 broken 4wd - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

xtz 1000 broken 4wd

i bought a used 09 xtz 1000 and the 4x4 will not lock in the front diff will lock up but not the drive shaft comeing out of the motor we changed the oil and there was some long shaveings in the oil so i flused the oil and have got ti out but what could have broke in there and about how much will it cost to fix? also there was a plug under my overide switch that had the 2 wires tied together y? and i cant find the rite plug to fit in the override switch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 06:19 PM
Rides all the time

Somebody probably bypassed the override switch so the rev limiter won't engage in reverse. Do you hear the 4wd engage and disengage when you press the switch?
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustanggeek View Post
Somebody probably bypassed the override switch so the rev limiter won't engage in reverse. Do you hear the 4wd engage and disengage when you press the switch?
thats what i thoght but it still hit rev in reverse... when i flip the switch i hear it maken noise

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 09:26 PM
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrbanshee View Post
i bought a used 09 xtz 1000 and the 4x4 will not lock in the front diff will lock up but not the drive shaft comeing out of the motor we changed the oil and there was some long shaveings in the oil so i flused the oil and have got ti out but what could have broke in there and about how much will it cost to fix? also there was a plug under my overide switch that had the 2 wires tied together y? and i cant find the rite plug to fit in the override switch

Please post a picture of the parts you found in the oil. You may have broken the thrust washers on the secondary tranny.

2009 Prowler XTZ 1000 with a few modifications. Needs paint & powder coating.

Last edited by flying121; 04-19-2011 at 02:48 PM.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 02:44 PM
Jounior Member

The secondary shaft runs through the transmission and is coupled to the rear section of the shaft and then the rear flange. The transmission drives on the front section of that shaft,that being said if it moves with the rear tires the shaft must be turning. Check the nut on the front yoke and check the yoke splines. I hope this helps!
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 03:00 PM
Loyal Member

Some guys have had acuator problems too. Just cause the acuator is making noise does not mean it is operating correctly. That is one of the easiests thing to check. You might jack up the front end. And then engage the diff lock and the 4x4. Now if you spin the front tires does the front drive shaft spin too? If it does can you hold the front drive shaft still while someone slowly turns the front tires?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 04:21 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandchris View Post
Some guys have had acuator problems too. Just cause the acuator is making noise does not mean it is operating correctly. That is one of the easiests thing to check. You might jack up the front end. And then engage the diff lock and the 4x4. Now if you spin the front tires does the front drive shaft spin too? If it does can you hold the front drive shaft still while someone slowly turns the front tires?
I agree with Chris, there have been problems with the link between the actuator and the front diff. I'm giving serious thought to returning my electronic diff lock back to the old style cable engage.

Arctic Cat Prowler Desert Race XTZ: ITP BajaCross tires on ITP Beadlocks, Beard Super TZ Seats, Crowe 5pt harnesses, King Off-Road Racing Shocks, Custom Racing Chassis with 7 inch longer wheelbase, +5 Suspension set at 16 Front and 17 inches Rear inches travel, UTVINC did the tube bending
TEAM PROWLER NATION...
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

the stuff in the oil was long stright pieces which went in the trash.... when the 4wd switch is engaged the shaft out of the trans still doesent turn doese this help? thanks for the input guys keep it comen
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 07:39 PM
Loyal Member

Are you saying that the front drive shaft does not turn at all while the rear one is turning?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 08:05 PM
Jounior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl89 View Post
I agree with Chris, there have been problems with the link between the actuator and the front diff. I'm giving serious thought to returning my electronic diff lock back to the old style cable engage.
I lock an old actuator in the 4wd position when I put my tracks on
Sponsored Links
Advertisement