updated XTZ transmission !!!! - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

updated XTZ transmission !!!!

alrightly boys its cost me alot of money and even more down time this past year but i now have some confidence in my new transmission and engine ! as some of you know last april my problems started when i blew 2 drive belts within 3 miles , after that the transmade alot of noise . i sent it to my local dealer and they assured me that they compared the noise to a brand new machine and it was the same even though i asked to have the trans removed and inspected at my expense if nothing was found ..... they put on a new belt and charged me for it ! so less than 150ish miles later the noise finally showed itself in the form of a gernaded trans and junked motor . luckily it was replaced with a new short block from AC which included new style cases , higher oil pressure . but we were unsure at the time if AC had changed anything in the trans . according to the parts schematic they were still using the same crap thrust washers in the origainal trans .

Well due to some very unfortunate turns of events my motor had to be pulled yet again after 46miles on the new short block , ( ie.install and assembly error, is all ill say) i sent the whole motor trans and clutches to D&P PERFORMANCE and had the m tear it down to bare block and check it over , repair and replace anything that even smelled funny .

when D&P open up my trans at first thought it was missing pieces . but after 3 days of phone calls the AC they got a answer ! guess what AC knows they had a problem with their transmissions and redesigned the entire thing ! no more crappy thrust washers, larger shafts and gears, improved oiling . quote from my builder " very nice piece" .

unfortunatly at this time there is no parts schematic available for anyone to veiw , even the dealers , we have a part # 0801-182 and the earliest build date code for the part # is on my motor that i have found . im sure there is others but i havnt heard from them . that date is 8-19-10 . from what we have found out this transmission is what comes in the all 2011 XTZs . AC has yet to update dealers on the change in parts or when exactly they started using this trans . but expect to release all info parts releated with in the up coming months .

right now the only way that we know to get the new trans is in the new short block and assuming in a new complete motor assembly . if you look up and transmission for a 2011 on parts program it will show you the new stlye cases and the second gen of the trans which has the new counter shaft assmembly but still uses the washers .
and if you look up the shrot block 0801-182 it will say that it replaces #0801-186 which is the old stuff . and it will refer you to the old schematic for the 0801-186 .

i asked D&P if there is anyway to tell the difference visibly from either engine and they said nope . you have to open it up and inspect the transmission .

so just a recap of what we know then

if you have had a short block replaced with part #0801-182 you have the new style cases ,higher oil pressure and the new design transmission

if you have a 0801-186 you have the new cases , higher oil pressure and
the old original trans mission with the updated counter shaft .

i wish i had a parts schematic to go with this info and an exact date when AC started using this trans in production machines but not even the dealers know ......and hopefully soon we can get some more .

talking with D&P , we are assuming that with the redesign in the cases and oil pressure that it came before the new trans and that anybody with a trans failure can order up a trans assembly and it will be the newest design , but we cant be sure yet .

i do know that if you had a failure on a 09 early 10 xtz you had to buy and update the counter shaft assmbly to the 2nd gen trans that still used the washers , but that was also for the gen 1 case .

i hope this helps any of you guys out there and if anybody has any more info on this wed love to hear from you . i know between finding out about this and having one of , if not the best shop in the country go though my motor i am gaining confidence back in my machine and AC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 06:24 PM
Rides all the time

Thanks for the update. Lots of good info for XTZ owners. So is it up and running now?
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

i just set the motor in tonight . im gonna wrap the headers and install a oil pressure and temp gauge before i finish it up this week . leaves me 10 days to have her running before our aravipa canyon trip . 200+ miles in 2 days ...... wish me luck .

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 06:33 PM
Rides all the time

Good luck. Hopefully you get to put some test miles on first.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 06:35 PM

I believe you can tell the H2 Gen1 vs the Gen2 by the speed sensor configuration, I am trying to find the pic.

Tim

2010 A/C XTZ with some "Stuff" SOLD
But still here everyday to contribute to the cause
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Racer View Post
I believe you can tell the H2 Gen1 vs the Gen2 by the speed sensor configuration, I am trying to find the pic.

the speed sensor , pcv breather ports and a few other subtle differences will tell which generation case you have but not which transmission that i know of ......but if someone knows for sure please speak up
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 09:32 PM
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soazcat View Post
the speed sensor , pcv breather ports and a few other subtle differences will tell which generation case you have but not which transmission that i know of ......but if someone knows for sure please speak up

Matt is correct on this. I have been through the same thing Matt is going through. The date stamped on the rear of your engine case might be the only way to tell as far as we know right now. I am sure that darryl or Dean will know more about this in the future.

2009 Prowler XTZ 1000 with a few modifications. Needs paint & powder coating.

Last edited by flying121; 04-18-2011 at 10:22 PM.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 10:00 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying121 View Post
Matt is correct on this. I have been through the same thing Matt is going through. The date stamed on the rear of your engine case might be the only way to tell as far as we know right now. I am sure that darryl or Dean will know more about this in the future.
Correct, I called AC to try and find out which engine and transmission internals he had. Still waiting on the second call back, but it sounds like they got back with Dean first.
The speed sensor and such will tell whether it is gen 1 or 2 engine, but not which transmission it has. The cases for the old style gear cluster and new style are identical. The first gen 2 engines had the old style gear cluster in them. The one Matt has looked to have the new style gears from the stamped date, but someone early on at AC had told him that he had the old style gears. Looks like he has the new ones though.

Makes me wonder if the new style cluster will fit in the old style case, that way those of us that have old cases might be able to install the new style cluster. Buying the shortblock is out of the question for many, it retails for over $2200 and isn't fully available yet to all, just those that are having problems (warranty ones first).

Arctic Cat Prowler Desert Race XTZ: ITP BajaCross tires on ITP Beadlocks, Beard Super TZ Seats, Crowe 5pt harnesses, King Off-Road Racing Shocks, Custom Racing Chassis with 7 inch longer wheelbase, +5 Suspension set at 16 Front and 17 inches Rear inches travel, UTVINC did the tube bending
TEAM PROWLER NATION...
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 04:36 AM

Well after another 2 weeks at the dealer I have not heard back, so far 3 months of my warranty have ticked by with the machine at the dealer and less than 500 miles on it, I will try and contact AC and request a new 0801-182 setup and state there obviously something wrong with the design as this is the 3rd time the motor has been designed..am I wrong on this persuit.

Tim

Tim

2010 A/C XTZ with some "Stuff" SOLD
But still here everyday to contribute to the cause
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 06:43 AM
Loyal Member

He'll no your not wrong. The least they can do is put the latest and greatest motor in you XTZ. The 3 months you have lost with your cat at the dealer is valuable time that you would have spent with your friends and family riding. Not to mention the insurance cost and If you have a monthly payment on it. Time costs you money and memories. Stay in the fight !

2009 Prowler XTZ 1000 with a few modifications. Needs paint & powder coating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement