Hard/No start - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Hard/No start

So my 700 xtx has started giving me problems, at first I thought it was the plug. I went to start it after running it for a few minutes and no go. I pulled the plastic out and got to the motor, check plug, there was a spark, but not what I thought was bright enough so I put a new plug in her, cranked it for a long time and away she went. It then sat for a couple weeks, the kids used it a few times to pull each other around in the snow, they got it stuck, when they tried to get it out a few days later, it just cranked until the battery was dead. It then sat out in the back for about a month, they tried jumping it and still no start. Yesterday the snow was melted enough for me to go drag it up to the house, I put it on a 20amp charge (set to AUTO), over night, this morning it did finally start, but it only idled for about 2 minutes and stalled, now it won't freakin start again!
Talking to the kids, they say that it did start for them out back but did the same thing, ran for a short time then stalled and wouldn't restart!
What's up?
Thanks Guy's

2010 700 XTX
"Swamp Lite" 27x9.00x14 Frnt, 27x11.00x14 Rear.
A.C. Cab Heater & 4000 lb. Winch
A.C. Soft-top c/w Rear Window & Doors.
A.C. Hard-top.
A.C. Flip up W.S.
Koplin Dbl. Gun Mount.
All "Bolts Right on"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 03:50 PM
Jounior Member

sounds like the ol frozen battery, I have been through a few myself, enough volt to start it but not enough to run it, you should hook up another battery (car) and test it out, see what happens.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone2thehills View Post
sounds like the ol frozen battery, I have been through a few myself, enough volt to start it but not enough to run it, you should hook up another battery (car) and test it out, see what happens.
Thing is, it cranks over like crazy, would it do that with a bad battery?
I did notice on this last try, about an hour ago, that the starter seemed to jamb, but I turned the key back, hit it again, and away it cranked. But still no FIRE.

2010 700 XTX
A.C. Hard-top.
A.C. Flip up W.S.
Koplin Dbl. Gun Mount.
All "Bolts Right on"

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 04:49 PM
Jounior Member

your right doesn't sound like the battery, not to mention it would prob read VOLT on your gauge. Not sure how it works on the prowler, but on sleds we always dropped some fuel in the cylinder(very small amounts, like a few dropps), tighten the plug down before it evaporates and cranked it over to see if it is a fuel issue.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

More info;
When I turn the key to the on position, i can hear what I assume is an Electric Fuel pump running for a few seconds, as well as the digital cluster is doing some sort of a reset. By that I mean it shows different functions and the Tack/speedo needle bounces around a bit.

2010 700 XTX
A.C. Hard-top.
A.C. Flip up W.S.
Koplin Dbl. Gun Mount.
All "Bolts Right on"
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 08:56 PM
Jounior Member

Sounds like a fuel issue. Might have water in your fuel. Try putting some fuel conditioner in your tank, or even drain it, the put done premium in.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 07:07 AM

Sounds like water in the fuel to me too, I'd drain all the fuel out of it and fill it up with some fresh stuff.. also, check your air filter it might be jammed up.. as far as the starter seeming to jam up, it seems to be common with the 700's I have a 2010 xtx and it does it too.. In my opinion its the the starter not being able to turn the engine over when its trying to start in the top dead centre position. if you just let off the key and try again it'll fire right up.. these engines run some pretty high compression and I always say as long as its doing it every once in a while it's still got good compression! it's like a tester.. lol I don't let it bother me.. it'll bother me when it stops doing it! lol good luck, let us know if you get it fired up..
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 10:43 AM
Jounior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abprower2 View Post
, they got it stuck, when they tried to get it out a few days later, it just cranked until the battery was dead. It then sat out in the back for about a month, they tried jumping it and still no start. Yesterday the snow was melted enough for me to go drag it up to the house, I put it on a 20amp charge (set to AUTO), over night, this morning it did finally start, but it only idled for about 2 minutes and stalled, now it won't freakin start again!
Im going back to my frozen battery on this. We have delt with them mostly on the ATV's, when the battery is toast it will not electric start and must have to be pull started. It will fire up and be able to run as long as your not using any accessories or drawing on the battery like the winch. The battery doesnt seem to be able to recover and just dies. I have seen the fac cat batteries freeze in a few days after its already been drained down from trying to turn it over. The batteries now get brought in the house and put on a maintainer.

I was thinking of putting a pull start on the prowler, had read a few threads on it, but decided to convert to a Odysse Yellow Top. Much better, no problems the last few months of winter.

To test the battery I put a car battery on the floor and use jumper cables on the fac battery. Hope you get it running
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 07:08 AM Thread Starter

So, as per everyones instruction:
1) Pulled plug, Black and oily, held it against head bolt, hit key, Spark!

2) Drain Gas, replaced inline filter,hit key flushed line, filled with high test plus gas line antifreeze!

3) Attached 55amp rapid charger, charged 30 minutes, Cranked,Cranked,Cranked,Cranked!

4) Recharged 30 minutes, let it sit for 10 minutes turned charger back on, removed air filter, cranked while injecting Propane in air intake, and away she went!

Rough idle and if you hold it at around 3000rpm there is a very noticable miss!

2010 700 XTX
A.C. Hard-top.
A.C. Flip up W.S.
Koplin Dbl. Gun Mount.
All "Bolts Right on"

Last edited by Abprower2; 04-30-2011 at 07:11 AM. Reason: more info
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

UP DATE
Well, tried to start it this morning, Battery is at full charge.
Turned over very good, fired and then caught, stalled, refired, ran and stalled, cranked it over and over and over.Firing but won't catch!
I have been turning the key off after every failed attempt, I believe I had read somewhere that was what you were to do.
POS is starting to get to me.

2010 700 XTX
A.C. Hard-top.
A.C. Flip up W.S.
Koplin Dbl. Gun Mount.
All "Bolts Right on"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement