Not starting after belt change. - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Not starting after belt change.

This is my 1st time to post here, and my first time to do any work on my 09 prowler 1000. (I'm no mechanic). After watching AirDam's video I thought it was easy enough for me to do.Got new belt on and everything went well until I went to fire machine up. It started and ran for short time and then died, and won't start now. It will turn over and I see the belt and clutches turning, but won't start. Could I have done anything to clutches to cause it not to start?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 07:59 PM
Loyal Member

Welcome to the site. Can you hear the fuel pump running?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 07:59 PM
Loyal Member

It won't run all the time. But will will run for a second or two when you first turn the key on then shut off. Is it doing this?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 08:03 PM
Loyal Member

Yeah like Chris says check the connection that runs from the top of your tank to the engine harness. Turn your key on but don't start it and you should hear fuel pressure building for about 3 seconds.

2009 Prowler XTZ 1000 with a few modifications. Needs paint & powder coating.
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

I hear the fuel pump when I turn key on. It started only for a few seconds right after belt change, but went dead and now it just turns over but won't start. I should have known better than to try this, the wife told me just to take it to dealer. I'm blaming this on the video,made it look to easy even for me. Thanks guys for the replies. I do enjoy reading posts here on forum.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 09:28 PM
Loyal Member

It takes a few things to run. Air, fuel, spark and compression. We are gonna assume it has air and compression. Does the fuel line get hard like there is pressure? Squeeze it between you fingers and turn the key on. You should feel it pump up some. If you have this you have fuel so that would leave spark. Double check that you did not accidentally unplug any part of the harness in any area that you were working in. Did you disconnect the battery while you had it apart?

post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

No I didn't disconnect battery. I will try checking harness and fuel line. But it started and ran for a few seconds and then went dead on its own.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akfltmedic View Post
No I didn't disconnect battery. I will try checking harness and fuel line. But it started and ran for a few seconds and then went dead on its own.
check all the fuses,these will pop fuses randonly sometimes.make sure you didnt bolt down the harness anywhere causing a short and blowin the fuse(s).my arctic cat 4 wheeler would blow a brake light fuse and the eng would shut right off.
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Checked fuel line, connections and checked spark plug, everything appears to be working and good spark coming from plug. It tries to start but won't. So the clutches or belt to tight or anything like that could be causing it not to start?
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 12:32 AM
Founding Member

No it should still start even if you held the clutches from turning. Bare with us, we are here to help you out and you will feel good when you find the problem. When something like this happens to me I have to sit back and say ok what did I disconnet or bump. More than likely you left or unplugged something or popped a fuse. On the small chance a componet may of failed but we need to start at A and checked all the basics to Z. It's always the simple things.

I don't have much time on an XTZ but these other guys do and they will help. Sorry for the rant.

Seth

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

SETH
TEAM PROWLER NATION
Sponsored Links
Advertisement