Pinion Seal failed - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Jounior Member

Pinion Seal failed

Well I went for a ride last weekend did about 60 miles and we were on the last leg of the ride when the oil in the rear diff blew out and made a damn mess come to find out the pinion seal failed I pulled the diff out myself and brought it to the dealer they change all three seals and I changed the clips on the axles. Just got it back together tonight, does anybody know if synthetic oil is ok to put back in it and what brand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 09:20 PM
Loyal Member

That's all I have been running in mine is mobile1 diff fluid. No problems and magnafluxed fine the last go around.
Are you running a vent?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 06:17 AM

Hey Chris, I posted on another threat about venting... I'm getting geared up for a big weekend of running... should have on about 150 + miles or so by the time I'm done! I haven't had a single issue with my diffs leaking yet (knock on wood) and I've got over 600 miles on my new cat... I talked to my local dealer and he told me that the "inch below the fill hole" solution is the cure for the seal probs.. should I still go ahead with doubling up my expansion bellows? I have the extra bellows home now... just need to buy an extension line for the front... as always.. thanks man

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 08:19 AM
Loyal Member

The 1 inch down seems to fix most of them. I am not sure if AC is putting them out of the factory at 1 inch down or not. Maybe the dealers are checking them to make sure they are 1 inch down? On yours the double bellows can't hurt. It seems like another part of the cause is heat. So I don't know how warm it is where you are at right now but you might start to see problems as it gets warmer this summer. I hope not. Hopefully yours will be trouble free. But the heat and high speed seems to be the key to finding a leak.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostxProwler View Post
Hey Chris, I posted on another threat about venting... I'm getting geared up for a big weekend of running... should have on about 150 + miles or so by the time I'm done! I haven't had a single issue with my diffs leaking yet (knock on wood) and I've got over 600 miles on my new cat... I talked to my local dealer and he told me that the "inch below the fill hole" solution is the cure for the seal probs.. should I still go ahead with doubling up my expansion bellows? I have the extra bellows home now... just need to buy an extension line for the front... as always.. thanks man

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 09:11 AM

Yeah, good point.. The last time I had a failure with my 550 was in the summer and it was when I rode at high speed for quite a while.. depends on where I'm riding but the majority of my seat time is spent slow trail cruising.. if I'm up at the lake in more open road conditions its a lot faster going... that's what worries me.. its some pretty big country up there and I don't wanna get stranded...
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 09:38 AM
Loyal Member

Well if it were me I would plan for the worst and be ready. I would have extra fluid with me and a funnel to be able to add some on the trail if needed. Some rags and a wrench should be all you need to add some if you need too. Not a huge problem if it starts to leak as long as you can add some if you need too. Hopefully you won't have to worry about anything except being prepared.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 10:15 AM
Jounior Member

the oem manual for my 650 calls for 9.5 oz in the diffs ft and rear which puts it about 1 inch below the fill line, i also just started to run dual bellow, just to be safe and i dident feel confident to drill a new breather in my diff... i hate leaks on anything
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBILLIN View Post
the oem manual for my 650 calls for 9.5 oz in the diffs ft and rear which puts it about 1 inch below the fill line, i also just started to run dual bellow, just to be safe and i dident feel confident to drill a new breather in my diff... i hate leaks on anything
For your front diff. did you add an extended line the same as the oem the rear setup? Also.. what diff fluid are you running? and how often to change it?
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 12:48 PM
Jounior Member

yes i did on the ft diff i am running amzoil marine grade gear lube, its full synthethic, i change the gear lube once a year or a little sooner depending on what i have ridden through
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBILLIN View Post
yes i did on the ft diff i am running amzoil marine grade gear lube, its full synthethic, i change the gear lube once a year or a little sooner depending on what i have ridden through
Right on! thanks for the info! I see quite a bit of water in the spring here so i was thinking about doing a change real soon.. only have about 300 miles of so this year but I guess it never hurts... for your front diff did you order the line to extend it from Cat or is there something I can buy at the auto parts store?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement