Oil burning Prowler?? - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Jounior Member

Oil burning Prowler??

Hi all, I've just began stripping my engine down for the 2nd time in the last 2 months or so. First time was transmission related - bevel gear upgrade. This time it's related to connecting rod bearing failure after low oil level.

Question is.....if I have no external oil leaks.....where did my engine oil go to (I lost about 2 liters!)? Topped it up last weekend, and after 4 or 5 hours of riding this weekend I ran dry. Lost the connecting rod bearing, hopefully nothing else.

I'm assuming that it has been burned off, it didn't leak through the clutch seals, so I'm assuming either bad rings or bad valve stem seals. Don't think I would lose oil through a bad cylinder head gasket? Strangely, engine did not appear to be smoking at all.

Any advice? Where do these things usually fail?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 07:52 PM
Founding Member

Your on the right track. Valve guide seals, rings.
Any oil in the coolant?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

SETH
TEAM PROWLER NATION
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 08:59 PM
Rides all the time

What year and make motor?

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 11:44 PM
Loyal Member

I am having a hard time believing that it burned that much oil that fast. Especially without you noticing anything wrong. When you reinstalled the top end how did you install the piston rings in the jug? What was the orientation of the ring gaps?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 04:13 AM Thread Starter
Jounior Member

It's a 2006/650. Ring gaps were on opposite sides of the piston. No signs of oil in the coolant. No issues with performance at all (up until the time it died).

I'm at the point where I am about to split the case, and up to that point the only issue I see is at the connecting rod bearing, it's definitely toast. I was going to pull the piston rings off and have a closer look, checking ring gap, etc. The fact that it wasn't throwing blue smoke makes it a bit of a mystery, but there is no where else that the oil could have gone?!?
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 05:43 AM
Jounior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradisedude View Post
It's a 2006/650. Ring gaps were on opposite sides of the piston. No signs of oil in the coolant. No issues with performance at all (up until the time it died).

I'm at the point where I am about to split the case, and up to that point the only issue I see is at the connecting rod bearing, it's definitely toast. I was going to pull the piston rings off and have a closer look, checking ring gap, etc. The fact that it wasn't throwing blue smoke makes it a bit of a mystery, but there is no where else that the oil could have gone?!?
On the ground from a leak in lines to oil cooler?
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 08:22 AM
Loyal Member

Well the rings should be at thirds for the best blow by control. It could have made a bunch of crankcase pressure and pumped it past a seal somewhere and leaked out? I would pay attention to the ring gap positions when I took the cylinder off if I was you.♠
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradisedude View Post

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Jounior Member

No oil on the ground, or anywhere around the engine, including at any seals, and nothing at any of the gasket faces or between left and right engine casings. Clutch casing was 100% oil free. Drain plug was dry and tight. Checked oil lines and cooler, no signs of oil. No oil in the engine coolant. No signs of oil on any of the belly pans.

Worst of all - no oil in the engine!
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 11:08 AM
Loyal Member

Well we know it does not evap that quick so it must have burned it. Just does not make sense that it burned that much and was not noticed.

post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Jounior Member

I fully agree...it doesn't make sense. And you're probably thinking...."must have leaked out - is this guy blind".....but it never, or if it did, it certainly never left any signs of leaking out.

Anyway, heading back out to the garage to finish the disassembly. Hopefully the crank removal doesn't cause me any grief.

PS. my dealer said he has never heard of an Arctic Cat burning oil?!??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement