Strange noise - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Jounior Member

Strange noise

I have an '09 1000 with a loud winding/pinging/high pitched noise. Did about 100 miles this weekend and maybe 40 of those were with this noise. Sometimes it would do it and sometimes it would be quiet and normal. Also, when I would come to a stop during one of it's "episodes" it had a real rough idle. I have no clue where to start. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Jounior Member

I guess I should add that it's definitely coming from the engine compartment. And it makes more noise when on the gas compared to coasting down hill or to a stop.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 04:30 PM

Mine is a loud gear whine over 20 mph and goes quiet over 40. On deceleration it also is less. Havent had time to shove the boroscope in the gear case lately

Tim

2010 A/C XTZ with some "Stuff" SOLD
But still here everyday to contribute to the cause

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I have an '09 1000 with a loud winding/pinging/high pitched noise. Did about 100 miles this weekend and maybe 40 of those were with this noise. Sometimes it would do it and sometimes it would be quiet and normal. Also, when I would come to a stop during one of it's "episodes" it had a real rough idle. I have no clue where to start. Any ideas?
I read in the previous thread about a problem that seems to afflict certain '99 XTZ's.. I'm not the expert here but this thread should steer you in the right direction.. it had something to do with a low oil pressure and thrust washer failure I think.. anyhow.. these guys know a LOT more than I do.. hope this helps man, good luck.. Soazcat seems to be really knowledgable on this subject.. from experience..

http://www.prowlertalk.net/forums/ar...nsmission.html
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 03:50 PM
Jounior Member

Well it sounds like the transmission,does it do it under acceleration and not so much on coast?
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Jounior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dla67 View Post
Well it sounds like the transmission,does it do it under acceleration and not so much on coast?
Yep, but it's kind of intermittent. That's why I'm confused. The first 10 miles of this ride it was loud and making all kinds of noise then it went away and was totally normal for about 30 miles, then it came back later in the day. The next day, same thing.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 08:38 AM

Chance

its very possible that you too are having the famous trans problems . best thing and easy to do is remove the center skid plate to access the drain plug . drain the oil in a clean container aand save the oil . look for a very metallic shine and any small pieces that look like a thrust washer . or metal flakes . next remove the 4 bolt plate on the bottom of the motor that the drian plug screws into . this will allow you to put your finger and /or a magnet in the bottom of the motor. fish around and see if you find any chunks laying in the bottom .

the whinning noise is possibly the result of the gear stack moving back and forth on the transmission shafts causing a poor alighnment or mesh of the gears . just like not setting the correct lash on a differential on a truck . this causes alot of heat on the gears and will cause them to break .

do you have any warranty left ?
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 02:44 PM
Jounior Member

You can also remove three screws on the bumped out cover where you check your oil. That will let you look directly under the transmission cross shaft's, for debris
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Jounior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soazcat View Post
Chance

its very possible that you too are having the famous trans problems . best thing and easy to do is remove the center skid plate to access the drain plug . drain the oil in a clean container aand save the oil . look for a very metallic shine and any small pieces that look like a thrust washer . or metal flakes . next remove the 4 bolt plate on the bottom of the motor that the drian plug screws into . this will allow you to put your finger and /or a magnet in the bottom of the motor. fish around and see if you find any chunks laying in the bottom .

the whinning noise is possibly the result of the gear stack moving back and forth on the transmission shafts causing a poor alighnment or mesh of the gears . just like not setting the correct lash on a differential on a truck . this causes alot of heat on the gears and will cause them to break .

do you have any warranty left ?
That's not really what I want to hear. Warranty ended last month.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Jounior Member

Couple more questions. If it is the transmission why would this crazy sound be intermittent? Also, I know it's a long shot, but could replacing the stator have anything to do with the tranny side? Reason I ask is right before the warranty ended, I took it to the dealer because the stator was failing. Charging system wasn't working and I found metal flakes in the oil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement