Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

700 Prowler melting Rollers

6K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  riddler28 
#1 ·
Does anyone have problems with melting clutch rollers on the 700 Prowlers? We keep seeing this problem in the shop.

#7 ·
Yep. changed the motor. LOL. No more wet clutch or rollers to deal with.
What we were finding was just the opposite of what you are saying. We could not get enough air to the cvt in high range due to the clutches not spinning enough rpm for the sheaves to move enough air. We found that if we used low range the sheaves would move enough air from the higher rpm to keep the rollers cool enough. We were not going as fast as you guys should be on dirt roads though I would think.
Question for you though. Do they slow down from their high speed run and stop and shut it off right away? If it were me I would let it idle for a bit to keep air moving and that might sovle your melting problem.

#9 ·
An interesting thread.

I just ordered 2 new stock rollers for my 650. i had 2 rollers with flat spots, all others appear fine. Is that what you consider "melting" or do I have a different issue? My understanding is that roller issues are generally heat related. Sounds like some of the advice provided to minimize roller damage makes sense.

#10 ·
Not sure if just the high speed would cause just 2 to get flat spots. There is just a lot of air at high engine speeds being moved by the sheaves. I could see gravity helping to flatten a couple. It would seem to me that 2 are gonna be on their side so they would not flatten. And so I don't know if their should be four flat or just two. I guess it would depend on how they where situated when the engine was shut down.

#13 ·
When I run full speed for a long stretch and come to a stop I like to let the car idle until the electric fan stops. It can take a few minutes but it allows the cooling system to catch up and the CVT temp to lower.
Good advice! something I never really thought of... I'll definitely be doing that when running in the hot weather

#14 ·
A somewhat related question - didn't think it was necessary to start a new thread.

As I had posted earlier, my 650 has 2 rollers with multiple flat spots. There didn't seem to be any clutching issues, performance was fine, but since I have it apart I decided to replace those 2 rollers.

The new rollers are 30mm diameter, the remaining 6 rollers are fairly true but slightly smaller in diameter, from around 29.5mm to 29.7mm. Is there a downside to not replacing all rollers? As I said, I was satisfied with the performance while using 2 out of 8 rollers with flat spots - so why spend nearly another $100 ($13/piece)?

Any opinions?

#17 ·
I am wanting to say I was pulling a touch over 6k.

It felt the best of all the setups I tried.

I tried all blue stock, all red and 4red & 4blue.

I had the secondary clocked as well to the C1.

The combo I liked best was 4blue 4red and C1 on secondary.
Also I had airdam/// 1&2, dynatek cdi, and a 1 3/4" tip on the muffler

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.