Who has had Diff issues?? - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Question Who has had Diff issues??

Hey prowler nation, I just wanted to start a little discussion about who amongst us has had issues with their diff's. It could be seals blowing or failures. I don't to start any "brand bashing" or negative discussions so please don't post them here. Just wanted to find out how many of us have had problems and what they are. Or if you have been issue free, how many miles and what kind of driving do you do? The idea came to me the other day when I called my local dealer to find out what they have been recommending for a fix to the venting and overheating issues some of us have experienced. Long story short; the mechanic told me they don't run in to this problem very often... hmmm... Just thought it would be a good topic for a discussion! Thanks in advance for your input

Last edited by AlmostxProwler; 06-14-2011 at 09:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 12:09 PM
Rides all the time

No issues for me.

Trail riding with the family aboard.
Hardly run at speed for any length of time.

I did do the diff vent mod on the old green machine this winter when I was doing the 1000 motor swap.

I am running Royal Purple gear oil. 1 jug did both front and rear diff's.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 02:48 PM
Jounior Member

Only problem has been the diff lock. Bought a used unit so not to sure how much abuse was done by the old timer in 200 miles. The diff lock would not engage and never heard or could see anything out of the ordinary. Pulled the diff our and had it inspected, no prob with the diff engaging, put it back in and everything worked. The diff in the front is actic cat but is not stock for the year and make so im told. Not sure what it was, if its considered the axel popping out or what but I guess it wasn't seated properly to engage.

I have a cable actuated diff that does not go through a actuator. Not sure if it was early prowler or what but they dont make them like that any more. never a good sign. 300+ miles since I got it and use the diff lock regulary, so I hope everything is good to go. After reading all the problems about diffs on the forum I feel lucky.

I ride mostly narrow trails in 4x4 at slow speeds. Im using the cat oil from dealer.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 03:53 PM
Jounior Member

most common issue you will have from prowler owners are diff seal leak and to solve my issue was to change both front axles , that seems to have fixed it
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 03:58 PM
Jounior Member

i had a rear pinion seal blow on me, i repaired it and did dual bellows in rear, desert riddin from fast to slow crawlin on rocks and dirt roads. no issues again (knock on wood) i run amzoil marine gear lube. it works well im going for a ride on thursday, and were looking for a high of 107.... the diffs will be preheated and ready to go.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 04:34 PM
Jounior Member

2 rear and 1 front seal replaced,happened early on.
3400 miles now 1 rear seeping
drive it like I stole it

09xtz
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 06:57 PM

My front diff went when the spider gear pin weld let go. I was hammering on it pretty hard but the diff pins are a problem for a couple model years. But of course the dealer knows nothing about common spidergear problems.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 03:23 PM
Jounior Member

My front locked up and caused a rollover and chewed up the gears,belt and clutches at 500mi. The rear seals seeped at 80mi. the rear was also loose from the factory.

09 XTZ, 4" seats, 5" lowered cage, dual exhaust, HMF intake, UTV crap frame stiffeners, A/F meter, Terracross tires, RZR seats, passenger grab bar, Airdam 1-3 clutch.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 07:22 AM

interesting this post comes up. Mine were fine...took it to the dealer and for some reason they took it upon themselves to put new seals in the rear, well 3 rides later, i have had 2 seals put in and now my axle is pulling out about 1/8 inch....needless to say i am pulling the thing this weekend and doin the work myself from now on....my cat made it 2 days on a 6 day vacation...Split

Prowler 1k - "El Diablo Del Gato"
dude..it rocks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement