For My Fellow Mud Riders! - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

For My Fellow Mud Riders!

Hey guys, new to the forum here. From SW Florida and just picked up a late model 09 700XTX.

Love it already, grew up in NW Ohio so I've bled green my whole life riding AC sleds.

My question is this - I bought the SXS for a few purposes. 1) Utility work around my property; 2) Hunting vehicle to replace my buggy; 3) Toy for the mud holes that abound South FL.

Now, I've been looking at a lot of sites and thus far it seems like the majority of Prowler owners are out West or up North...and the setups are a bit different.

What I'm looking for are suggestions on what mod's I should be doing first and foremost, especially to safe guard my machine from preventable damage.

Thus far I've got:
1) Differential Breathers
2) Snorkel Kit
3) Waterproofing Belt Drive Housing (haven't seen anything on this yet)

I'm planning on putting the Xtreme 2.5" lift kit with either Fox or King shocks (front & back). Adding the Heavy Duty Springs and ITP 14" wheels running ITP Mud Lite tires in 28x10 FR 28x12 R. Also looking at the EPI Sport Clutch & Severe Duty Belt, and possibly a Boondocker.

Just looking for advice on how to maximize performance (for when I'm in the $h!t) on my machine while still keeping it practical. I know with the larger tires I need to up the performance a bit, hence the clutch kit & Boondocker.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 10:11 AM

Snorkelling and Seal your belt housing is a must for sure! I've done both and its probably the best thing I've done yet.. I'm still trying to post picks of my snorkels (my camera quit) but its fairly simple to do and very cheap, you just need a few plumbing supplies and a bit of time. I used inch and a half pipe for my two intakes and two inch for my cvt outlet... to seal my clutch I just ran a bead of heatproof gasket silicone on top of my existing gasket and reinstalled it.. Just in the process of replacing seals and rigging up a vent system that's waterproof.. I'll let you know what I come up with.. I've got some pretty good ideas I'm gonna try out.. hope to see some picks of your new ride.. Welcome to the forum!!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 11:57 AM
Rides all the time

What are you referring to as boondocker? NOS

Tires I would get the xtr's if your looking at mudlites as they are much better for a heavy sxs than the mudlites.
My buddy has the std. mudlites on his rhino and is always getting flats. My xtr's only got punctured from a huge nail.

Check out airdam/// clutch work and replace 4 of your blue rollers with 4 red ones.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Boondocker - Go to sidebysidesports website and under the Prowler section look at either the "Fuel & Air" or "Electrical" category. I used to run Boondockers on my AC sleds - they rock.

What do you mean by the XTR's? What brand are they? I have a lot of friends that run Mud Lites on their ATV's and they've always said great things?

I've seen the airdam work - my only issue is taking my whole clutch apart. I'm not a gear head whatsoever...but airdam's stuff does look awesome!

What do you mean by replace my blue rollers with red ones?

AlmostXProwler - Thanks for the advice and look forward to seeing what you come up with!

Open to any advice - new to the sXs world!!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 02:04 PM
Jounior Member

+1 for the xtr's worth a look. xtr is an ITP tire similar to the mud lites. I run the mud lites but have xtr's on the wheeler. Thought I would try the mud lites as they looked mean and that was the tire the dealer had stock of. Few things I like about the xtr's, they actual shed the mud better, seems like thick mud turns the mud lites into drag tire. Better contol at high speeds, im on gravel roads a lot and over 40 in the sxs is a no no. Your yard will alos thank you.. as the mud lite look like a tractor rolled through the yard.

Hard to compare sxs and wheeler but I would love to try the xtr's on the sxs to compare the two
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 03:43 PM
Jounior Member

im in texas, and ride mostly backroads, but when i get muddy its nasty. if you want a real mud tire dont jack around with mudlite or xtr, get an outlaw and keep the stock tires for workin. the outlaws are a little pricey, but are the best mud tire (i've had them all) and they just introduced an all new 29.5 outlaw that will not dissapoint. if you insist on a lite weight all terrain tire, go with a 30" mudlite xxl. they use a harder compound then they use to becouse of poeple getting flats to easy, the 30's still ride smooth, but the lugs are spaced farther apart and are almost 1 1/4 deep, a very good tire for dual purpose riding. on the diff breathers, i wouldnt. unless you doing high speed runs for miles and miles i dont think they are needed, just run the proper amount of fluid, 9oz. and keep the bellows to insure water and mud stay out. also, pull the axles and kock off the dust covers, mud and grass packs in there and kills the axle seal. if you run deep enough to need snorkels dont forget to seal up the stupid duckbill thing in the intake, alot of motor have been swamped becouse of those little dudes. and like said before, some pvc pipe, and a hand full of 45's and 90's and rubber couplers and rock out with some pluming. i think you can slide a 2" pvc in the factory rubber boot on the belt housind and clamp it, that how ive done the last 2. slide the pipe in there and clamp it, then its as simple as running them to where you want them. just mock them up before you glue them. also, if you going that deep diectric greese is your friend. in every connection, from spark plug to headlights, including your fuse box, lid and underneath where the wires come in.

i know i rambled on a bit, but trust me ive been there. more then once.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 07:07 PM

Really good tip on the dielectric grease! I second that one Mr. Potato Head!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 10:55 PM
Jounior Member

I would skip the lift, you dont need it to fit 28's and all that it will get you is broken axles (I know form experience). I'd stay away from the xtrs as well, they do not preform in the mud and have a weak side wall, I'd go with radial out laws or terminators, both ride real nice and will walk circles around a xtr.

There is nothing you need to do to seal up the clutches. They are already sealed, just snorkel the belt intake and exhaust and you are good to go.

Tie rods are very weak and need to be reinforced.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 03:26 PM
Jounior Member

i forgot all about the radial laws, but i have no personal experiance with them although their reputation is very good. but do you not think the terms would dig too fast for such a heavy machine? thats been my hold up on gettin them myself.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 07:31 PM
Rides all the time

The xtr I am reffering to is... the mudlite tire in a radial. Which is needed for our heavy sxs.
The sidewall is far from weak on the ITP mudlite xtr. They are great tires I have over 750miles on mine and only 1 hole from a BIG nail.

I was asking about boondocker because they offer nitrous and various products.

If you were looking at a clutch kit it is the same amount of work to have the airdam done.

You can get the red rollers from the dealer they are in your clutch you should have 8 blue rollers in there. Going to red rollers are 19gram and your blue are 21gram.
So installing 4red you will be able to rev higher.
Bacically what you get if you buy a clutch kit the epi kit you are looking at.
Which you can do cheaper if you get the 4rollers from arctic cat or airdam and clock your secondary spring.

Any other ?'s just ask we are here to help but we all have our own preferences.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement