Gear Noise?? - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Gear Noise??

Hey folks.. I'll start by what I've done lately.. I recently had 3 seals let go in my 2010 xtx prowler.. while I was replacing them I noticed that I had an outer CV boot on the front left outer torn.. so I replaced all seals and put a CV boot kit on that I got from my dealer... this is my concern.. when i'm driving and I start coasting I can hear a noise that sounds like gears meshing or something, its not real loud just enough to hear it.. with my new pipe on I can't even hear it... lol not something I want to ignore.. is this a cv issue, a gear issue or a bad bearing? or nothing at all?? I know this is kind of vague but any expert opinion would be really appreciated..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 08:50 AM
Loyal Member

I would at least try and isolate where it is coming from. That way you know kinda where to keep a eye on stuff. Have you drove it without the engine cover on to see if it is coming from motor-transmission?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandchris View Post
I would at least try and isolate where it is coming from. That way you know kinda where to keep a eye on stuff. Have you drove it without the engine cover on to see if it is coming from motor-transmission?
No I haven't yet.. I was going to jack it up and see if its coming from either diff then try that.. I hope its nothing major... like I said, it's not really loud.. I'm gonna get my pressure washer going and give it a good bath first of all (its a little muddy) then give it a good looking over.. would a wheel bearing make this kind of noise? I think maybe my front driver's is a little tired...

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostxProwler View Post
No I haven't yet.. I was going to jack it up and see if its coming from either diff then try that.. I hope its nothing major... like I said, it's not really loud.. I'm gonna get my pressure washer going and give it a good bath first of all (its a little muddy) then give it a good looking over.. would a wheel bearing make this kind of noise? I think maybe my front driver's is a little tired...
Wheel bearings wouldn't make that noise. They kinda make a deep roar and go downhill from there. Easy way to eliminate bearings is jack it up and shake the wheels from side to side. Any play and your bearing is bad. If its more than the usual AC tranny/belt whine then you probably have cv or diff issues. The only bad cv I ever had was obvious when you grabbed it and shook there was alot of slop. Diff is easy to pinpoint if you jack it up and run it in 4x4 while putting your ear close to the front or back. Diffs are loads of fun.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 05:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyansCat View Post
Wheel bearings wouldn't make that noise. They kinda make a deep roar and go downhill from there. Easy way to eliminate bearings is jack it up and shake the wheels from side to side. Any play and your bearing is bad. If its more than the usual AC tranny/belt whine then you probably have cv or diff issues. The only bad cv I ever had was obvious when you grabbed it and shook there was alot of slop. Diff is easy to pinpoint if you jack it up and run it in 4x4 while putting your ear close to the front or back. Diffs are loads of fun.
ok.. I suspected one of my wheel bearings was bad so I'll start there... hoping that its not diff trouble... did you finally get yours all straightened out? Thats a subject that'll cost me some $$ I don't know jack about diffs...
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostxProwler View Post
ok.. I suspected one of my wheel bearings was bad so I'll start there... hoping that its not diff trouble... did you finally get yours all straightened out? Thats a subject that'll cost me some $$ I don't know jack about diffs...
I think mine is good now. I put her back together and ran about 20 miles with no noise now. Creative use of modeling clay and dial calipers showed me the shim thickness I needed. Skip the moose bearings and just order oem, they are sealed better.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 11:41 AM
Founding Member

I serviced my broken axle shaft and outer CV. Replaced inner boot and installed. After lets say 25-30 hours I noticed a noise coming from the rear. I thought it was a rear brake noise. After some checking I found the inner CV diff seal guard was spinning on the CV at a very slow speed causing the noise. It came off during the service and I installed it back on, I thought it was tight. This is just an idea.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

SETH
TEAM PROWLER NATION
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 07:25 PM

I've had new CV boots make grouling sound from the new boot being so stiff & not broke in yet. If you don't find anything run it awhile but keep this in the back of your mind. Just my $.02
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 07:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmac View Post
I've had new CV boots make grouling sound from the new boot being so stiff & not broke in yet. If you don't find anything run it awhile but keep this in the back of your mind. Just my $.02
Right on, thanks for that.. That's something I never would have suspected. I can't seem to find the source of the problem anywhere but can still hear the growl.. I thought it might be coming from my tranny but have never had any issues with it before and it seems to run perfect (knock on wood). I'm going to do a quick oil change tomorrow just to make sure there isn't an excessive amount of metal shavings in there. I put a magnet down through the dipstick hole last night and it came out clean so that part seems good. By the way, welcome to the site!! thanks for the input
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertcat View Post
I serviced my broken axle shaft and outer CV. Replaced inner boot and installed. After lets say 25-30 hours I noticed a noise coming from the rear. I thought it was a rear brake noise. After some checking I found the inner CV diff seal guard was spinning on the CV at a very slow speed causing the noise. It came off during the service and I installed it back on, I thought it was tight. This is just an idea.
Thanks, I checked them and they're good.. something to inspect the next time I service my cv's. Thanks for the tip, so many things to look out for this is all good stuff to remember!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement