Looking to possibly buy a used Prowler. Need your HELP...... - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Rides all the time

Looking to possibly buy a used Prowler. Need your HELP......

First off, I'm new to the site. I'm looking at possibly buying a used Prowler and need your help. I'm not sure of the year yet, but I think it is the first year they came out (not sure when that was).

Anyway, the Prowler has an issue with the transmission. Friend thinks the output shaft might be stripped out, but he isn't 100% sure without taking it apart. I was just trying to get an idea of the cost to have something like this repaired by a shop? And what it might cost me to do myself? Is this a pretty big undertaking? I've never worked on one before, but I am mechanically inclined (do most of my own vehicle maintenance and repairs). Any help is greatly appreciated.....

Last question. Are you guys happy with your Prowlers? Are there any issues with the first year Prowlers that would be a reason to stay away from them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 06:17 PM
Loyal Member

Welcome to the site out west. The first year was 06. And that should be a 650.
A couple of things it could be,
1. Primary clutch with stripped out splines in the steel hub. Relatively cheap and easy to do yourself.
2. Broken belt. Again relatively cheap and easy to do yourself.
3. Broken bevel gear. Kinda pricey and a pretty good set of tools and knowledge needed.
These are just a few things that could be wrong. Just throwing stuff out there. I do have a few used parts for trannies.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Rides all the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandchris View Post
Welcome to the site out west. The first year was 06. And that should be a 650.
A couple of things it could be,
1. Primary clutch with stripped out splines in the steel hub. Relatively cheap and easy to do yourself.
2. Broken belt. Again relatively cheap and easy to do yourself.
3. Broken bevel gear. Kinda pricey and a pretty good set of tools and knowledge needed.
These are just a few things that could be wrong. Just throwing stuff out there. I do have a few used parts for trannies.
Thanks Chris. Peoria, AZ. That is where I grew up......

Broken bevel gear. How pricey is that? I'm going to check out the Prowler tomorrow. Is there any way at quick glance to know what is possibly going on? The Prowler is owned by my friend, and he bought it from a mutual friend of ours that sold a bunch of his toys and moved out of state. My friend had the intensions of fixing it, but just has too many other things going on and could use the money. So he has offered it to me. What is a reasonable price for an '06 Prowler with a broken tranny?

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 07:22 PM
Loyal Member

Well in my opinion if it was not broke it might be worth 6-7 grand if it was clean and low mileage. So I would have to say with the bevel gear repair costing 14-18 hundred on the high side at a dealer I would deduct somewhere in that ballpark just in case I had to take it in a get a dealer to do it. However seeing how you really don't know what is actually wrong I would say it could be as much as lets say 2-2500 to fix. So if it was worth lets say 6500 cause it had relatively low miles and was descent looking Personally I would really be forcing myself to pay 4000 with it broke and not knowing what it is. The whole motor could be trashed in the case as far as the transmission part of it is concerned. The motor might still run. But the case could be trashed and no good to fix the tranny.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Rides all the time

So I imagine to find out exactly what it is, it will require quite a bit of effort to tear into it, correct? No easy way to tell? I'm almost positive it isn't the belt. I'm sure if it was something that easy, our mutual friend would have fixed it long ago.

Does anybody have a rough idea of what a shop would charge to "diagnose" the problem? I'm thinking of having a shop determine the issue and give me a quote before I decide to buy. I would like to do the work myself, but it would be nice to know of the exact problem before throwing down a bunch of cash.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 09:17 AM
Founding Member

I have the first year 650 and love it. They are making them with more HP but keep sticking with my 650. Great car and so far 3200 miles of trouble free fun. General maintenance and a few repairs but nothing to stay away from. What part of the west are you from?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

SETH
TEAM PROWLER NATION
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Rides all the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertcat View Post
I have the first year 650 and love it. They are making them with more HP but keep sticking with my 650. Great car and so far 3200 miles of trouble free fun. General maintenance and a few repairs but nothing to stay away from. What part of the west are you from?
Lived in AZ my whole life (Peoria and Surprise) until I moved up to northern UT for work about 5 years ago..... Thanks for the feedback on the Prowler.....
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 07:02 PM
Jounior Member

Out West. I have a 2008 700 XTX i just put up for sale $7300 OBO. Just put it on KSL.com. I too am located in norther Utah

ksl.com - Classifieds for Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming=
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Rides all the time

[quote=nater;36036]Out West. I have a 2008 700 XTX i just put up for sale $7300 OBO. Just put it on KSL.com. I too am located in norther Utah

That is a nice looking machine. Why are you selling it?

I've been wanting a UTV for a long time. Just hasn't been in the budget or a priority for the wife. Only reason we were considering buying one now because of the one my friend offered to sell me at a discounted price because of the tranny issue. I wish I had more money to get yours because it looks really nice....
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Rides all the time

What is the timeline history of the Prowlers? I guess they came out in 2006 with the carbureted 650. How long did they stay with the 650? I know at some point they went to a fuel injected 700 I guess, and now I see they have 1000's. Can somebody educate me on the Prowler history?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement