Unlock the rear axle? - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Unlock the rear axle?

Is there a way to unlock the rear axle on a 2006 650 Prowler? To hard to maneuver with locked on a daily basis for work use. Or does someone make a limited slip or other aftermarker diff?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 12:50 PM
Jounior Member

I can be done but you need to change gear ratio's. You have the 4.1 gears and cat makes a 3.6 gear that has what they call a truf saver rear diff, kind of like a auto locker (this came in the 700 xtx's). So you would need to change both the front and rear gears so they would still match, then you may need to do a little clutching to compensate for the higher gear ratio.

I personally hated the turf saver that came in my 700, it cause jerky take offs when in 2wd. However I never use mine for work or on the lawn so I replace it with the spool type gears that you have in your 650.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agood1 View Post
Is there a way to unlock the rear axle on a 2006 650 Prowler? To hard to maneuver with locked on a daily basis for work use. Or does someone make a limited slip or other aftermarker diff?
No way to have a Selectable rear diff with what you have and the Limited slips A-Cat tried were not the best. I do suspect they will offer a true selectable diff in the future we will have to wait and see. I have a Mule with a selectable diff and I love it. I too wish the Prowler was selectable in the rear.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 11:29 PM
Founding Member

You may find a few 700 XTX guys in here that would swap you out diffs/axles

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

SETH
TEAM PROWLER NATION
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 11:39 PM
Jounior Member

I wonder, could you just stick a front gear in the rear diff, you would always have a open diff but maybe that would work for him.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 06:31 AM Thread Starter

What about putting the diff from a MULE in?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 07:23 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
What about putting the diff from a MULE in?
You would have to change the front and rear to make sure you had the proper gear ratio. I am not sure if your axles would fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Mud View Post
I wonder, could you just stick a front gear in the rear diff, you would always have a open diff but maybe that would work for him.
Possible or just put two front diffs in. Buy another front diff and change out the rear. A few things that come to mind. Will the rear axles fit? you may have to change the length of your drive line. Depending on the model year you will have to add wiring or cable to activate the diff, but this sounds like something that could work

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

SETH
TEAM PROWLER NATION
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 08:46 AM
Jounior Member

The rear axles will not fit in a front ring gear, you would need a set of front axles or if you could find some inner cups you could change them out. (rear axles have larger splines in them). There will be other issues with change out the whole diff, the beak and actuator are both mounted to the diffs so they may interfere with each other.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

So is there just some way to go into my current diff and just permanently unlock it?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
So is there just some way to go into my current diff and just permanently unlock it?
The way the diffs are setup it would be near impossible to have a reliable setup by altering the internals of the rear diff you have.

If one wheel drive would be acceptable you could alter one of your rear axles so it did not transmit power to the wheel. This would allow the rear brake to work as it should and the rear tires are not fighting on a hard surface. A piece of tube that fit snuggly over the axle could be welded on one end and a shear pin on the other so it would be selectable. You would have to cut the axle to make the mod and it would only be as strong as the shear pin but in theory it would accompolish what you are looking for. If it doesnt need to be selectable just pull the axle out of the CVs and put everything else back. The inner CV will stay in the diff with the lock ring and the outer CV is bolted through the hub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement