Drive axle assembly - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Drive axle assembly

Hey guys.. another question.. I was just reading over my manual and it says (only in the assembly section) that when putting the housing back over the bearing ring that I should have made marks on them to make sure it goes back together the same? Mine went back together but i definitely didnt' make any marks on the housing or bearing ring before I took it apart Is this something I should be concerned about? Is there a way to make sure it's back together properly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 09:46 AM
Founding Member

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 10:48 AM
Rides all the time

Drive axle assembly......

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 02:55 PM

i think we need you to elaborate a little on this . drive axle ? are you talking about the bearing ring for the CV balls ? if so the outer cv ring is bell shaped and it needs to be installed corectly for articulation .
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 05:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by soazcat View Post
i think we need you to elaborate a little on this . drive axle ? are you talking about the bearing ring for the CV balls ? if so the outer cv ring is bell shaped and it needs to be installed corectly for articulation .
yeah, sorry for being vague.. I believe its installed facing the correct direction but something in my manual said something about making marks to ensure proper assembly.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 10:24 AM

when assembling CVs on the axle shaft you need to make sure the cups that hold the ball bearings together are going the correct direction . like i said earlier i think it was the outer cup is bell shaped .

i think the marks you are refering to are the for "clocking" the CVs . just like in basic autoshop when repairing a drive shaft you want the ujoints or in this case the CV stars to be inline with each other . one end you have to press on then you can line the other end up with that on by setting it on the workbench and making sure thatthey are not a spline or more off . if so this will cause a binding issue and cause the CV to break the cage or pop out of the diff .

good luck let me know if you have any more questions . i hope this was descriptive enough to understand
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 05:52 AM Thread Starter

That does help, I think I may check mine.. i've had it out on a couple runs and it seems fine but I think it will be worth my time to tear it apart and give it a quick check. It does seem to make a bit of noise.

Much appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement