Bevel Gear Question? - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 03:13 AM Thread Starter
Rides all the time

Bevel Gear Question?

So I posted this thread about buying an '06 650 Prowler with an issue I need to diagnose and repair....http://www.prowlertalk.net/forums/ar...your-help.html

One of the worst case scenario things was possibly having to replace the Bevel Gear. So I figured I would go do a search on it to find out price, etc. So I downloaded the service manual and looked for the part on this parts website....Arctic Cat Parts / Accessories and Apparel for Arctic Cat Prowlers, Arctic Cat ATV's, and Arctic Cat Snowmobiles.

I didn't see anything listed as bevel gear, but I was thinking it might be this: Part#0819-002 Gear, Secondary Driven listed for $71.58. Am I correct on this? Is this the bevel gear, or is it something else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 06:55 PM

The manual I have lists both of the bevel gears of the secondary drive. One of them is the one you have mentioned, and that one is on the secondary shaft that runs the length of the engine/transmission with outputs on the front and back. The other bevel gear is the gear that takes the energy from the countershaft and transfers it to the secondary shaft. That gear is part # 0819-001 Gear, Secondary Drive. It lists for $51.32 on cyclepartsnation.com
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by out west View Post
So I posted this thread about buying an '06 650 Prowler with an issue I need to diagnose and repair....http://www.prowlertalk.net/forums/ar...your-help.html

One of the worst case scenario things was possibly having to replace the Bevel Gear. So I figured I would go do a search on it to find out price, etc. So I downloaded the service manual and looked for the part on this parts website....Arctic Cat Parts / Accessories and Apparel for Arctic Cat Prowlers, Arctic Cat ATV's, and Arctic Cat Snowmobiles.

I didn't see anything listed as bevel gear, but I was thinking it might be this: Part#0819-002 Gear, Secondary Driven listed for $71.58. Am I correct on this? Is this the bevel gear, or is it something else?
Look here:Case splitting to replace bevel gear help??

Most of those guys on that post really know there stuff and are willing to help.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Rides all the time

Thanks for the info guys.

Is this job something a DIY person could do somewhat easy on their own?

I was reading the service manual, and it mentioned you had to completely tear apart the top end, left side, and right side of the motor to do a bevel gear replacement. Is this correct?

One thing I was worried about doing it myself is needing special tools, which appeared to be expensive. Do you really need these special tools, or did you guys that have done this work around that issue?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by out west View Post
Thanks for the info guys.

Is this job something a DIY person could do somewhat easy on their own?

I was reading the service manual, and it mentioned you had to completely tear apart the top end, left side, and right side of the motor to do a bevel gear replacement. Is this correct?

One thing I was worried about doing it myself is needing special tools, which appeared to be expensive. Do you really need these special tools, or did you guys that have done this work around that issue?
I don't think you will need special tools, and the parts kit is around $200 as I recall. To my knowledge, no one on this site has done the bevel gears. Highlifter.com in the arctic cat section have several members that have done this multiple times. They have even cryo'ed some of the gears and know where to order the update kit. The atv has the same engine as the prowler.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Rides all the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyansCat View Post
I don't think you will need special tools, and the parts kit is around $200 as I recall. To my knowledge, no one on this site has done the bevel gears. Highlifter.com in the arctic cat section have several members that have done this multiple times. They have even cryo'ed some of the gears and know where to order the update kit. The atv has the same engine as the prowler.
Thanks for the update. Maybe I'll try and contact some of the guys on the highlifter site for more details...
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 03:30 PM
Jounior Member

The bevel gears you are referring to have been updated to straight cut gears. Part# 0822-122. Yes the engine has to be completely torn down and the only tool that might be required is to separate the case half from the crankshaft. The kit has instructions for shimming these gears too. The biggest difference will be the noise from the gears. Make sure you shim them at about .012" - .015" Spec indicates .005" - .015" At .010" or tighter the noise will drive you nuts.
When replacing the gear on the short input shaft, make sure that the bearing has not pulled out of the case. If yes, you will need a new bearing and new bearing retainers. Hopefully the screws will not have pulled out and damaged the case.
Hope that helps you with the rebuild. Cheers
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Rides all the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catmaster View Post
The bevel gears you are referring to have been updated to straight cut gears. Part# 0822-122. Yes the engine has to be completely torn down and the only tool that might be required is to separate the case half from the crankshaft. The kit has instructions for shimming these gears too. The biggest difference will be the noise from the gears. Make sure you shim them at about .012" - .015" Spec indicates .005" - .015" At .010" or tighter the noise will drive you nuts.
When replacing the gear on the short input shaft, make sure that the bearing has not pulled out of the case. If yes, you will need a new bearing and new bearing retainers. Hopefully the screws will not have pulled out and damaged the case.
Thanks for the info...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Rides all the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catmaster View Post
I read the repair manual, but I'm a little confused about measuring the backlash on the bevel gear. It says to use a dial indicator, but I don't understand what I would be measuring? Put the dial tip on the gear and rock back and forth, but I don't see how and what the gauge will actually be measuring here in this manner? Any clarification on how and what is appreciated?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement