Fuel Question??? - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Fuel Question???

Hey everybody, in my local area they have started adding 10% ethanol to the regular and mid-grade gasolines. I have a 2010 xtx 700 and was told by my dealer that the '10s have been built to run ethalnol fuels and to continue running regular grade gas (as per the manual recommends). I was just wondering about putting high grade fuel in it (as it does not contain ethanol). will it affect the performance or hurt the engine? I also store mine for about 3 months when the snow hits and I was thinking about filling it with high grade fuel for storage.. I also have ethanol fuel stabilizer in my shop that I add to my tank when i know it will be sitting for a few weeks... Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 08:51 AM

if im thinking right all fuel in the states now contains 10 % ethanol , i know it was used during the winter months oct - mar for years to help cut down on pollution but i think its now year around at the pump .
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 08:54 AM

i run the premium or high grade fuel in all of my toys . it wont hurt anything . in fact it help prevent detonation with a higher octan rating ,

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 10:25 AM

I see you live in Canada there not just starting to put it in they have been for years. Thats all I use in the prowler my snowmobile my car etc. Only trouble with it is very corrosive and eats rubber and seals. Another problem with it is shelf life usually only good for thirty days instead of a year. Now that said there changing it yet again and now e15 is coming and they are saying anything older than 2001 will have a had a hard time running on it.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 10:49 AM
Loyal Member

I run a mixture of Super unleaded with Sunoco MS109 unleaded race gas. It runs good and smells even better.

Motorsport 109™
Recommended for applications with CRs up to 15:1. In engines that can run on pump gas, MS109 is a direct replacement that produces up to 5% more horsepower than premium unleaded. In fact, MS109 makes more power than any other unleaded fuel on the market with the exception of VP’s MR-PRO4.1. Compared to other unleaded fuels, MS109 offers better detonation protection as well.

TYPICAL VALUES
• Color: Clear
• Motor Octane: 101
• Research Octane: 109
• R+M/2: 105
• Specific Gravity: .722 at 60° F

They have a new fuel out as well.

New! VPR™
VP's latest fuel for 4-stroke powersports applications, VPR, bridges the gap between pump gas and race fuel. The ‘R’ is a nod to ‘riders’ of motorcycles, quads, UTVs, & SXSs that may not require professional grade race fuel, but are looking for performance that is economically practical. Offering 1-2% more power, better throttle response, increased consistency and long-term savings over pump gas, VPR is clearly what your stock (or slightly modified) bike needs. Ethanol-related problems will not be an issue with VPR and you can expect better vaporization, plus a cleaner, more efficient burn than that of street gas. VPR will extend the life of your engine, increase the time between rebuilds and lower your long-term costs, preventing corrosion problems in EFI or carbureted fuel systems in the process.
TYPICAL VALUES
• Color: Pale Green
• Motor Octane: 101
• Specific Gravity: .732 at 60° F

2009 Prowler XTZ 1000 with a few modifications. Needs paint & powder coating.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 03:16 PM

ahhhh the smell of race gas
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

I don't think there is any better smell than race gas!! I love it! Thanks for all the feedback guys! In my area they're still selling premium grade fuel without the addition of ethanol, it's only midgrade and regular that has it.. I wanted to switch all my toys over to the premium grade for that reason but don't want to harm my toys.. lol I also have a 4 stroke sled (yamaha rx-1) and was considering running high grade in that.. I was just curious cuz the manual for my '10 xtx says to run regular.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 11:31 PM

Well where I come from here in the North where we park are dog sleds.LOL In the winter or in late fall we have grass drags or ice oval with two stroke sleds and they run race gas or avation fuel and castor oil. Now that's a sweet smell you never get sick of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement