PLEASE HELP ME diagnose this engine/transmission issue.... - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 03:55 AM Thread Starter
Rides all the time

PLEASE HELP ME diagnose this engine/transmission issue....

I finally took ownership of a 2006 Prowler 650 XT H1 from a friend. The Prowler has an issue that I posted on this thread but just thought I would give an update. http://www.prowlertalk.net/forums/ar...your-help.html

A quick summary. Original owner was climbing a hill and forgot he had the emergency brake on. All of a sudden the Prowler would not move, but engine would still supposedly run. Original owner took off the belt cover and started to take off the top componants of the motor (air intake, carb, electrical connections, etc.) in preparation to pull the motor to find what was wrong. That was as far as he got before the thing just sat for years.

Belt cover is off, so I can see the belt and it looks fine. I took an oil drain pan and put a mesh over it and drained the oil. There was a very small amount of fine shavings stuck to the magnetic drain plug in the form of a fine sludge, but it was very minimal. I was reading about bevel gear issues and was sort of wondering if I would see chunks of metal come out, but I did not. So where do I go from here? What is the likely issue? What can I do to eliminate other things?

Right now the thing will not run because the carb, etc. is off. Will I gain a major advantage in troubleshooting if I put the thing back together and running to test certain things? If not, is it better just to save time and continue where it is now and pull the motor out and start tearing apart?

Any help greatly appreciated......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 05:23 AM
Rides all the time

I would put back together leave floor, belt cover , air-box , seat pans ect... off and I think you would be way ahead.

Get the essentials to run. Then try all the gears for your self and watch the primary and secondary.
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 10:29 AM
Jounior Member

Another thing to check is the centrifugal clutch and drum. Replace the clutch seal while your there too (kit# 0837-016)

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Rides all the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catmaster View Post
Another thing to check is the centrifugal clutch and drum. Replace the clutch seal while your there too (kit# 0837-016)
How do I check this? What am I looking for? Or do I need to get the thing running to check these items?
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 12:34 AM
Jounior Member

if you get it running its OK to let it idle or rev in neutral, but do not drive it with the belt cover off. i killed my on way bearing in les then 10 feet.
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. potato head View Post
if you get it running its OK to let it idle or rev in neutral, but do not drive it with the belt cover off. i killed my on way bearing in les then 10 feet.
How did running it with the belt cover off ruin the one way bearing?
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 08:58 AM
Jounior Member

the belt cover keeps the primary shaft from wobbeling around. i was doing clutch work and backed it out of the shop so i could finish up the next morning. when i did apparently the belt tension pulled the shaft to the rear and cocked the drum in the bearing (which is actually a roller clutch) and it goulded the drum and killed the bearing.
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Rides all the time

Quick Update.......

Just a quick update. I have not had time to put the thing back together, but this morning I rotated the driven pulley in the transmission by hand. This rotated both the front and rear drive shafts and the Prowler did roll forward.

So based off of this, it has to be something on the drive side, correct? I have not had a chance to study the parts breakdown as far as how this transmission works, but based off of what I just said what is the likely culprit on the drive side (assuming the motor still runs as well)?

One other thing. The gear shift lever is out of the machine right now. It was originally in neutral (I know because I could push the machine before), but I shifted the linkage down one to put it into gear so I could rotate the transmission driven pulley to see what happened. Well, now I can't get the shift linkage to pull up and shift back into neutral? Any ideas why?
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by out west View Post
Just a quick update. I have not had time to put the thing back together, but this morning I rotated the driven pulley in the transmission by hand. This rotated both the front and rear drive shafts and the Prowler did roll forward.

So based off of this, it has to be something on the drive side, correct? I have not had a chance to study the parts breakdown as far as how this transmission works, but based off of what I just said what is the likely culprit on the drive side (assuming the motor still runs as well)?

One other thing. The gear shift lever is out of the machine right now. It was originally in neutral (I know because I could push the machine before), but I shifted the linkage down one to put it into gear so I could rotate the transmission driven pulley to see what happened. Well, now I can't get the shift linkage to pull up and shift back into neutral? Any ideas why?
Did you rock it back and forth while trying to shift? I would also check the wet clutch.
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 01:01 PM

I'm not an expert by any means when it comes to this stuff but it sounds like a wet clutch issue.. if it were me that might be a good place to start.. I'm keeping my fingers crossed you find a simple fix! Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement