WTH ? WTF? 911 Prowler in trouble - LOL - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Jounior Member

Exclamation WTH ? WTF? 911 Prowler in trouble - LOL

Sorry for the odd title just trying to get some traffic threw this thread

09 Prowler 1000 tranny issues.

Keep this short

Goes into reverse, but when you shift it to H or L , nothing happens.
The indicator on the speedo changes, you can feel the linkage doing its thing, if you have it in H or L and rev it up, nothing happens.
Move it back into R and she will go backwards no problem.
There is no grinding noise ... nothing to be heard when this is all happening

I turn the machine off. I re-start it, and vola, I have H and L again. The second I go into R, I can not get it back into H or L
Once its in H I drives and acts like nothing is wrong. With airDamn 1-4 the machine just launches off the line. Im soooo puzzled

Could it be a wet-clutch problem?

Some more info...

I relocated my rad up behind the seats about shoulder height. We were stumped with what was going on, so thought cause of the height, the engine was too low on oil and the wet clutch wasnt operating properly. So today we moved it back to the original spot to see if the oil level would change. It did but my tranny issue is still happening and Im totally stumped.
I dont know fully how wet-clutches work...

Anyone have this happen ? Or read about this in a different thread? See it on a different forum??

2009 Prowler 1000 XTZ

http://tinyurl.com/3pwecb5
(short cut to my project thread)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 09:00 PM

This also happens. Took it for a spin today I was out in the back forty put in reverse and back to high it was still in reverse. Then put it half way between H-L and then I could move forward. Tried it agaibn when I got home and could not do anything to get it out of reverse. Then shut it off and it sat for a minute or two and still the samething. Shut it off again and then had no R or H just sat there.
my best guess is a shift fork or something. I thought I read somewhere about a washer cracking or breaking just can't remember where I saw it. Pleas help DP out
Thanks
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 10:09 PM
Loyal Member

http://www.prowlertalk.net/forums/ar...nsmission.html

http://www.prowlertalk.net/forums/ar...-failures.html

2009 Prowler XTZ 1000 with a few modifications. Needs paint & powder coating.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
Jounior Member

Yes I have read both of those but now created more questions then answers...

Build date - I think I have one of the very first 1000 prowlers - I bought mine threw a dealer via dealer surplus - amazing deal so jumped at it - all my external parts off the frame all had paint marker on them ( think they drove it and took it apart and put it back together again) I got it with 150 miles on her. Manufacturing date on the machine is Oct 08

OK now to my confusion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying121 View Post
Can you shift between R, H, L with no problem or do you need to move your car back and forth to engage the different ranges? Do you have to turn your ignition off to get the Cat to change between the ranges? If so drain our oil and pull the pan that houses the drain plug (4 bolts) and check for the broken washer and metal deposits. Could be the secondary trans thrust washer.
So out of both threads - there is my problem posted.

Now Im very confident I have the 1st gen motor...

So what is a short block? lol ya newbie me is

So do I just order a new tranny?
or do I order a new oil pan for the motor? or the tranny?

or do I need a complete new motor and tranny?

What is the out come of tapping in another oil return ?

Will the wildcat motor/tranny fit in the prowler ? lol

Winter is here, so I need to get this started so come spring Im back in business.

I have no warranty and will be all out of my pocket.

Thanks in advance to all who replies...

2009 Prowler 1000 XTZ

Last edited by Ditch_Pickle; 11-12-2011 at 07:28 AM.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 01:45 PM

Hey guys sorry I've been deer hunting all weekend. When I get home tonight ill do my best to answer all your concerns. But it sounds just like my 09 motor. When it lost the thrust washers in the trans. Pull the oil drain plate. 4 little bolts fish around for metal. With the washers gone it allows the gears to slide around on the main shaft in the trans. When u shift it pushes the gears off the splines. It sounds. To me u boys have become the lastest victims of AC ..... sorry
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Jounior Member

Well my machine still runs and drives...

What I am needing now is... How in the hell and what in the hell do I fix?

Im interested in Daryl89's comment about adding in a oil return line to that "back" section...

Do I just pull it apart and change them shims ??

Cause really at this point... I might as well buy a 2012 long block from AC for the 3K+ and just be done with it ... time I do the short block and pay someone to swap over all the parts from the old motor... I'll be at the same cost and still have an old motor
Currently the motor has 1100 miles on it...

2009 Prowler 1000 XTZ

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditch_Pickle View Post
Well my machine still runs and drives...

What I am needing now is... How in the hell and what in the hell do I fix?

Im interested in Daryl89's comment about adding in a oil return line to that "back" section...

Do I just pull it apart and change them shims ??

Cause really at this point... I might as well buy a 2012 long block from AC for the 3K+ and just be done with it ... time I do the short block and pay someone to swap over all the parts from the old motor... I'll be at the same cost and still have an old motor
Currently the motor has 1100 miles on it...

well it wont run for long.... those shims /washers break apart and get picked up by the crank and usually crack a piston skirt. so i dont recomend to keep driving it. like i said pull the plate on the bottom of the motor that the drain plug is in and you should find the washer pieces laying in there . .

anything you buy ( short or long block) will be the new gen 3 motor by now,. the short block will come completely assembled , new cases , crank ,rods, transmission / you will have to remove the jugs , pistons and heads , clutches and swap on to the new motor.
the long block will be a complete motor that you will have to reuse your intake , sensors, injector, and brackets.

which ever option fits you mechanical skill level and pocket book is up to you.

i dont recomend replacing just the washers, this problem will happen again if you do . the reason the fail is because of the low oil pressure the 09 motors have and the piss poor oiling system . the gen 3 motor has 3X the pressure (65 lbs)and improved oiling to the transmission .
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 05:54 AM Thread Starter
Jounior Member

Ya I had a feeling you would say that... *sigh*

Im not too egar to replace the motor though. Im still waiting for Daryl89 to come save the day by making some more detailed comments about tapping into the tranny casing and add another return line.

Well I got a quick price for a long block - 4200 complete (everything) now waiting on a price for a short block which more then likely be the way I will go.

2009 Prowler 1000 XTZ

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 08:27 AM

[QUOTE=Ditch_Pickle;38059]Ya I had a feeling you would say that... *sigh*

Im not too egar to replace the motor though. Im still waiting for Daryl89 to come save the day by making some more detailed comments about tapping into the tranny casing and add another return line.

i dont think Darryl ever did that mod to the motor... we had talked about it several times for his race car but never got around to it.

Bipolar did something similar its where we got the idea. but they dry sumped the engine and trans and used extrenal pumps to lube their Baja 1000 cat. but we couldnt get any info out of them . by the time you do all of that and buy the pumps you could just upgrade to the gen 3 short block and be done and reliable .
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Jounior Member

I called today and 2200 for a short block and 260 for the short block gasket kit

I asked which gen the short block will be.... he couldnt tell me ( the dealership I am dealing with has never sold a atv/utv with a 1000 engine)

Ya I figured as much... I was just trying to put off the inedible.

Sucks donkey balls... motor has 1134miles and Im throwing it away...

Looks like this has become a Xmas break project now. I'll post pictures and do an update once I start tearing it apart.

Thanks for your help!!!!

On a side note...

This sucks what happened, but truly I'm grateful for the internet and the help a person gets for these types of forums. So KUDOS to all of you...

2009 Prowler 1000 XTZ

Sponsored Links
Advertisement