Wheel Studs spinning - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Wheel Studs spinning

Hello everyone I went and put some new tires on my 700 prowler, I have stock rims. Here is my question. The previous owner must have used an impact gun to really tighten the nuts. Anyways 4 were stripped on one hub and one on the other rear hub. I was able to get new studs the same size but the spin in the hub, I can get the wheels tight, but is this gonna be okay or should I order new studs from the dealer or will it be okay. I could weld them if that helped.

Thanks in advance for any replies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 09:04 PM
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick2010tundra View Post
Hello everyone I went and put some new tires on my 700 prowler, I have stock rims. Here is my question. The previous owner must have used an impact gun to really tighten the nuts. Anyways 4 were stripped on one hub and one on the other rear hub. I was able to get new studs the same size but the spin in the hub, I can get the wheels tight, but is this gonna be okay or should I order new studs from the dealer or will it be okay. I could weld them if that helped.

I would replace the hub. Good luck

2009 Prowler 700 XTX Walker Evans Shocks,STI Roctane 27/9/14 and 27/11/14 tires,Warn skid plates,Ridgid Ind Prerunner Cage,Home made spare tire carrier,Hids high and low beams,1.5 inch wheel spacers,E Brake Alarm, Rear diff vent mod Etc. NO TURF SAVER!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:

Did you put in splined studs like the stockers? If you did they shouldn't spin in the hole. If your holes aren't shot you need to put the stock splined studs in. If they are shot you could try tack welding them to the hubs on the backside, the other option would be to replace the hubs as mentioned.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 01:22 AM
Rides all the time

Get an oem stud and see if it spins as well.

If not get all oem studs.
If it spins get new hubs.

Don't mess with safety
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Well I ended up ordering new studs from the dealer 200km away, cause my local dealer didn;t have any. Should be here for tuesday, the old ones fit tight so I should be okay. Here is hoping. I was told this is a common problem on Arctic Cats so if ya haven;t you might wanna check your wheel studs
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 09:41 AM
Loyal Member

Quote:
Well I ended up ordering new studs from the dealer 200km away, cause my local dealer didn;t have any. Should be here for tuesday, the old ones fit tight so I should be okay. Here is hoping. I was told this is a common problem on Arctic Cats so if ya haven;t you might wanna check your wheel studs
Its a common problem it you dont torque them to specs 45ftlbs.

2009 Prowler 700 XTX Walker Evans Shocks,STI Roctane 27/9/14 and 27/11/14 tires,Warn skid plates,Ridgid Ind Prerunner Cage,Home made spare tire carrier,Hids high and low beams,1.5 inch wheel spacers,E Brake Alarm, Rear diff vent mod Etc. NO TURF SAVER!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Well apparently its common right from new, the dealer I ordered from said they get it a lot. Anyways I always have used a tourque wrench and my issue started when I tried to take them off. They were so tight my impact gun wouldn;t work to get them off, I even tried my dewalt cordless impact and it worked, but beat forever before it could get them off.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Well apparently its common right from new, the dealer I ordered from said they get it a lot. Anyways I always have used a tourque wrench and my issue started when I tried to take them off. They were so tight my impact gun wouldn;t work to get them off, I even tried my dewalt cordless impact and it worked, but beat forever before it could get them off.
I got screwed by a local garage when I had tires put on the prowler. They ran them on with the same impact they used for cars and ruined a coupled studs and lug nuts. They are fairly soft and easy to ruin if not torqued right.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 11:00 AM
Founding Member

3500 miles on my machine and never had a stud problem. Get the OEM studs, also make sure the hub is ok

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement