Any problems with the Spike load dampener on the xtz 1000? - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Any problems with the Spike load dampener on the xtz 1000?

Just got one of theese machines and wonder if there are any prob with this system. MY tcat gave me fits with this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 09:21 PM
Loyal Member

Get rid of it and put one of these in. You will never have to deal with it again.

Spike Load Dampener Delete Kit from D & P PERFORMANCE

2009 Prowler XTZ 1000 with a few modifications. Needs paint & powder coating.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 04:24 AM

Could anyone explain the problem with the SLD and why delete it

Thanks !

2012 XTZ 1400 miles, zero problems
AC Sport Seats, much much better... looks good too !

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 11:31 AM
Founding Member

I agree, get rid of it. Dean's kit is the best for doing that.

The SLD is a clutch pack located in the nose of the rear diff. The problem with them is, they get burned and start slipping more and more. Granted, they are designed to be the weak link in the drivetrain so that you don't break CVs, axles or the diff itself, but all too often, the pack gets fried and then they start slipping most of the time. I pulled mine out and with less than 250 miles on them, they were turned gloss blue (indicating they were burnt). I installed Dean's SLD Delete kit and the first time out, realized how much power I was losing with the old SLD. Yeah, I have to worry about breaking other parts now, but I have more control over the power delivery and performance.
SLDs may be fine for beginning drivers, but for off-road performance, they suck...

Arctic Cat Prowler Desert Race XTZ: ITP BajaCross tires on ITP Beadlocks, Beard Super TZ Seats, Crowe 5pt harnesses, King Off-Road Racing Shocks, Custom Racing Chassis with 7 inch longer wheelbase, +5 Suspension set at 16 Front and 17 inches Rear inches travel, UTVINC did the tube bending
TEAM PROWLER NATION...
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 12:57 PM
Loyal Member

thanks D
I didn't have a clue either

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 06:00 PM

Ok, thanks, I understand... but the delete kit could invalid my warranty, and I took 2 years total... but now I know what to check for in the thrust feeling, if ever I feel slippage, then I'll know what it could be, thanks !

2012 XTZ 1400 miles, zero problems
AC Sport Seats, much much better... looks good too !
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 08:21 PM
Founding Member

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 10:11 PM
Founding Member

Moss Magnuson Act provides that a manufacturer cannot void a warranty based solely on a modification, unless that modification can be shown be the cause for failure. For instance, putting bigger tires on a UTV can and will void a warranty claim towards anything in the drivetrain, but not in non-related parts. Changing the axle or any such thing wouldn't affect the warranty unless that can be shown to cause the warranted problem.
Many dealers try to say a warranty is voided completely, but that is against federal law. Problem is, many don't have the money to hire a lawyer and fight the dealer and corporation over a $500 repair.
Changing the SLD will affect the diff, axle, cv and driveline warranty, but shouldn't have an effect on the engine or chassis.Talk with your dealer in advance, find out their opinon, they are the ones that will relay info to AC.

I will say, Arctic Cat strongly advises dealers to not modify or endorse modification of machines, but that is to keep the lawyers happy. There are dealers out there that do modify machines, usually under a seperate business name... I can name a few (ahem, don't look at my profile pic okay) such as Wildcat Willys.

Arctic Cat Prowler Desert Race XTZ: ITP BajaCross tires on ITP Beadlocks, Beard Super TZ Seats, Crowe 5pt harnesses, King Off-Road Racing Shocks, Custom Racing Chassis with 7 inch longer wheelbase, +5 Suspension set at 16 Front and 17 inches Rear inches travel, UTVINC did the tube bending
TEAM PROWLER NATION...
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 10:17 PM
Founding Member

Oh, and over 2/3rds of the XTZ1000s I've sold, had to have the SLD's replaced at one point or another... you guys that hit the sand dunes or sandwashes are the ones that burn out the SLDs first... and then bigger tires also....

SLDs are great for trail riding and such, but aren't made for true hp performance.
If you are worried about your warranty, keep the SLD and if you think it's slipping, have the dealer warranty it, but once that warranty is gone, I'd be changing it... unless I'm a slo-trail poke...

TEAM PROWLER NATION...
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 07:42 AM
Founding Member

Sponsored Links
Advertisement