Not fully engaging High gear. - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Not fully engaging High gear.

Hey guys doing a dry run putting ,my cases back together before I put the crank in and high gear is not fully engaging... im sure i have a spacer or washer in the wrong spot. does anyone have an exploded detailed diagram of the transmission side of the crankcase... pictures would help as well. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 10:01 PM
Rides all the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPER_DURTY View Post
Hey guys doing a dry run putting ,my cases back together before I put the crank in and high gear is not fully engaging... im sure i have a spacer or washer in the wrong spot. does anyone have an exploded detailed diagram of the transmission side of the crankcase... pictures would help as well. thanks
I just did the bevels on my 2006. When I put the two cases back together I played with the shifting of the cases out of the Prowler. Low and reverse were easy to shift too, but high was not easy to find. I knew everything was put together correctly, but this still worried me a little. I installed the motor back in the Prowler and hooked up the actual shifter. Once I did this, finding high was not a problem. I'm not 100% sure on this, but maybe it has something to do with the shifter pulls out on that linkage a little when you shift. I'm not sure if this is the problem you are having, but you may be worrying about something that isn't really a problem.

If you did the updated bevels, make sure you are using the new end gear and spacer that comes in addition to the new bevels. I have a ton of pictures that I took of the whole tear down that may help you if needed.

Last edited by out west; 05-08-2012 at 10:18 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

looking through were the cylinder goes I can see the dogs are not engaging completely in high gear. The gear is far to the right and i can slide it over by hand to fully engage.. I'm sure I've gat a spacer in the wrong spot just not sure which one. could your show a picture of your counter shaft with the correct spacers on each end? when i split my cases most of my washers and spacers fell out of the bottom. Thanks... Its an 08 650 btw...

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 05:29 PM
Rides all the time

Here are some pictures. Don't know if it will help much. Like I mentioned, if you updated to the new style bevels, you will use the new gear and shim at the end of this shaft.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG4028 (640x480).jpg
Views:	60
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	2886   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG4029 (640x480).jpg
Views:	55
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	2887   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG4031 (640x480).jpg
Views:	61
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	2888   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG4032 (640x480).jpg
Views:	62
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	2889  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the pictures, its exactly the same way i put mine back in...hmmmm back to the drawing board....maybe hard to engage with the motr not running???
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 09:20 PM
Rides all the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPER_DURTY View Post
thanks for the pictures, its exactly the same way i put mine back in...hmmmm back to the drawing board....maybe hard to engage with the motr not running???
Did you take any of the countershaft apart (minus the shift pins that will usually pull off when you pull it out)? Hopefully you didn't. I pretty much left mine all together to avoid any confusion.

What was the reason you had it all apart? (If it was to install new bevels, make sure you change out to the new end gear and spacer that comes in addition with the new bevels). This may sound stupid (and I don't think it would work the wrong way anyways), but make sure you slide the rod back into the correct hole in the case (there are two on the case). Mine fell out when I pulled the cases apart and I originally slid the rod into the lower hole until I figured out how the thing functioned with the counershaft pins fitting in the grooves in the shift shaft which requires the rod to slide into the upper hole in the case.

Like I said earlier, I dry tested shifting mine into gears after I put the two center cases back together. Reverse and Low were easy to find since they were either all the way to the top or all the way to the bottom, and were noticeable when they engaged. I had a really hard time finding HI. I had to really play with it A LOT to find it when I was dry testing it. Once I put the motor back in the Prowler and installed the shifter, it finds HI no problem. So probably nothing for you to worry about as long as you feel confident you put it back together right.

Last edited by out west; 05-09-2012 at 09:27 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

got her put back together...had a spacer in the wrong spot...thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement