Why did you choose a Prowler? - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Rides all the time

Why did you choose a Prowler?

I was just curious why you Prowler owners out there chose a Prowler compared to all the other available options?

The only reason I purchased my 2006 Prowler 650 was because it was broken and I picked it up from a friend at a discounted price (little did I know of the expenses to come to fix it ). I really haven't had a chance to really take it out yet and see if I even really like it. It looks good sitting there at least....

If I did have two complaints with it, it would be that stupid square tubing roll cage and the lack of availability of accessories for it. I see deals every week in my local classifieds for 4 seat cage options for the Rhinos, Teryx, Ranger and RZR, but never the Prowler. And there are just tons of available accessories all over the place for these other models. But accessories for Prowlers seem to be a little harder to come by.

So why did you choose the Prowler over others?

1. Was it price?
2. Did you test drive one and others and just liked it better?

.....Curious what all lead you guys to your Prowlers......

Last edited by out west; 05-11-2012 at 07:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 08:46 PM
Loyal Member

Made In the USA!

2009 Prowler XTZ 1000 with a few modifications. Needs paint & powder coating.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 08:57 PM

for me i was wanting something different from Polaris. Polaris is the only brand i had ever owned and have been very happy with them, but just wanted to try something new. I owned both the ranger and rzr, and wanted to swap out the rzr for something new. I knew a Rhino would be too small and under powered for what i wanted. I didnt like the 4wd setup for the teryx among other small things. Commander's full center console made it very uncomfortable to drive for me (pushed my knee inside my foot which didnt feel good). So that left me looking at AC. AC had 2 bikes that would fit my need in power (XTX and XTZ) and they seemed like a good bike to start a build on. There isnt as many accessories as other brands but still more than others. I dont know if anybody would pick a Cat for price. Theyre normally the most expensive choice when it comes to a new purchase. Only time will tell if i made the right decision, but so far its not looking too bad and having fun adding on the accessories.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 07:23 AM
Loyal Member

Well I have always been a Yamaha person, Rhinos are too narrow, too slow. RZRs too small for a Big guy. Teryx was my secound choice. Bought the Prowler MADE IN THE USA and The UNDERDOG! Like how it drove and felt and the looks and it came with 14 inch wheels witch has something to say about rolling over!

2009 Prowler 700 XTX Walker Evans Shocks,STI Roctane 27/9/14 and 27/11/14 tires,Warn skid plates,Ridgid Ind Prerunner Cage,Home made spare tire carrier,Hids high and low beams,1.5 inch wheel spacers,E Brake Alarm, Rear diff vent mod Etc. NO TURF SAVER!
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 07:38 AM
Loyal Member

I fit ... and when I bought I only fit in 2 brands and one of those two didn't have a 4x4 locker [PoPo] I liked so ended up with A/C
and the power was right.

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 07:38 PM
de3
Loyal Member

Thumbs up

when i bought mine ,there was the rhino,ranger, mule, gator.everybody had rhinos the dealer told me you had to use low range in the woods with the ranger.or you would smoke belt. and mule and gator not enough performance. i liked the leg room in the prowler.plus it went two full days of very rough riding at hatfield and mccoys and never used low range.just about all the rzrs were using low range. love my prowler.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 07:39 PM

I looked around for different machines but kept coming back to Arctic Cat. I liked the ground clearance and the power was acceptable. My next pick was the terex but I kept hereing complaints about the ground clearance.
I would say that if I were buying a new machine I would give more consideration to the commander. Of course it still has less ground clearance than my 07 prowler.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 08:24 PM
Jounior Member

i started with an 06 650h1 4 wheeler, i chose it becouse i wasnt satisfied with what honda offered, and after looking them over, we all know the numbers, ground clearance, suspension travel ect... Then i noticed instead of those horrible plastic push pins it was bolted together, then the particular one i bought was on a pedistal where the motor was eye level, and the big made in usa sticker gave me a wink. that thing took everything we through at it with a smile, since i have had 3 cats and every one was just as rock solid
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 12:27 PM

I'm tall and and medium bilt, RzR was out of the question, too hard to get in and out, especialy out and since we have a full winter riding season up here the Polaris awd system is the last thing you want in snow... Rhino would've been a nice choice with 40 more hp maybe... Teryx had a good chance, liked the looks but heard too many bad things about engine problems and I hate the front locking system... Commander X was my first choice, but good thing a friend let me drive for a day, this is not a tall man's machine at all... too bad... then, I went to see the Arctic Cat, just for fun, and there waited for me an orange XTZ in the showroom... darn, I fell in love on the spot and before I could sit in it I prayed hard I would fit... and I did !!! Then the test drive... OMG, such brute power just asking to be tamed !!! I found my true love...

2012 XTZ 1400 miles, zero problems
AC Sport Seats, much much better... looks good too !
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 01:23 PM
Jounior Member

For me the choice was about price, and finding a used machine that fit my budget. Glad I went Prowler though, despite the problems I have had.

Not so sure about the "Made in USA" thing though. I'm Canadian, but could never understand why a "Made in USA" machine has metric bolts!! That doesn't sound American to me.....very confused over that.

BTW.....when are you folks going to switch to the Metric system? I'm of an age where I know both Imperial and Metric, and can work interchangeably without a problem.....but fractional Imperial measurements are for the birds! 1 and 11/32"....what the hell.....that's 34.1mm!! HAHA...just some fun tormenting fellas....LUV ALL AMERICANS!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement