Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

Blew the motor 0n my new prowler 1000

8K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  Desertcat 
#1 ·
the bike has 600 miles on it. the dealer told me that it was very low in oil and that was what caused the motor to blow. I last checked the oil at 300miles. Got a new motor on the way( thank god for warranty}. The bike has been in the shop for the past 2 weeks. The bike is now for sale. I just bought a new rzr xp 900 cadillac{voodoo Blue in colour}. These bike are very different form each other. The biggest difference is in the power dept. the rzr has a top speed of 78.8mph on a flat stretch as compared to the Cat of 68mph.
The cat is definitely king when it come to comfort on the trail. you can rip down a rocky shoreline and feel like u r riding a cadillac and the rzr with its stiff suspensoin sure gives ya a beating if you go to quick.

#11 ·
I'll give you my money Todd if you'll give me yours... :D

#7 ·
factory speedos can be off 3 to 5 mph easy compared to a gps.every body i have talked to said there 1000 will run 75 mph plus. and you cant compare a 900 rzr to the 1000 a/c like some one in the forum said . the prowler,terx,rhino,ranger,and so on are cross over machines.work and play.the 900, wildcat.full sport.''''

#9 ·
the speedo on om my cat is bang on up until 60mph then it is aff 2 to 3 mph. THE fastest that my cat has ever gone was 77.9mph down a steephill but still only does 68 on a flat stretch.

now back to the suspensoin, the polaris does not even come close to the plushnes of the prowler on the bumpy trails in the bush or on a rocky shoreline. the cat is so smooth and soft. im sure that if we were to jump sand dunes and launch the bikes several feet in the air, the polaris would be king, but on the bumpy rock filled trails i will take the cat.

#12 ·
Oh come on, lets throw a Wildcat at the XP900. I've done that enough in the last few weeks to know, XPs suck on whoops, jumps and can't even begin to hang with the Wildcats in the rough stuff.... I have a test track in my back lot with table top jumps and deep (18+ inches) whoops that the cat runs thru at almost 1.5 times faster than what the XP can do...
Lets compare oranges to oranges and apples to apples...

And if that doesn't give me satisfaction, then I just take my Prowler XTZ out and find a few big block turbo'ed RZRs and make them eat dust for a few miles... Hehehehe :D

And checking the oil only every 300 miles???? You should've checked it each day you went riding. That is just common maintenance sense for an off-road machine. Not to bag on you, but if you only checked it like that and brought it to my dealership, I would go Hhhmmmmmmm....

Not to bag on you, oh heck, who am I kidding, I'll bag on you... just bring your XP900 over and we'll go for a run....

Oh, and who thinks I have too much money in my car... I just made it a little safer so my baby girl can go out and race it. She has a rear panel we put on the car for when she drives, that says," You just got your ass beat by Daddy's Little Girl"...

#14 ·
If arctic cat wanted us to check the oil more often they should have made the dip stick easily accessible.

It is ridiculous to check the oil level on the new 1000 and a joke to add oil to the machine!

Tranny funnel and remove the seat pan you have got to be kidding me:mad:

#15 ·
they should have made the dip stick easily accessible.

It is ridiculous to check the oil level on the new 1000 and a joke to add oil to the machine!

Tranny funnel and remove the seat pan you have got to be kidding me:mad:
boy isn't that the truth , by the time I get mine checked my bad back is screaming at me .... I think it's time to look at making a panel that removes on mine

#16 ·
IVE never been one to check the oil on a daily basis. ON a new machine
that shouldnt have to be a problem. Lets not forget the fact that a brand new machine burned or loss enough oil in just a few miles to wreck the motor. IF a machine has to be TOPPED UP with oil every 5 miles or so, there would have to certainly be a problem.

#17 ·
I agree that you shouldn't have to check it every few miles, but 300 miles is alot.
And I do agree, the oil dipstick position on the XTZ is a joke (bad one at that). But I cut an access hole on my seat pan and made it alot easier to check.

Oh, Todd, I don't have any combines, just a few tractors and a backhoe or two.... and the floorplan owns them... I'm just the caretaker.. :D

#18 ·
You guys are saying your prowlers can go over 80 mph? I just bought this 2009 Prowler 1000 xtz with 5200 miles on it. I can only get 45 mph out of it. How can I get that much speed out of mine without buying a blower, turbo or spending a s##t load of money?

#20 ·
There are a few things that could be limiting your speed Kurt.
What tires do you run, heavy tires can slow you. When was the last time the drive belt was changed, worn belts can really cut your speed down. Do you have a full windshield, that severely restricts speed because of wind resistance. Have you checked your clutch and rollers, worn rollers won't allow the clutch to operate properly and can again, severely restrict power transfer and speed.

Stock, no windshield, stock sized and stock weight tires, you should be able to clearly surpass 70mph. Most vary from 75mph to 82mph...

#21 ·
The tires on this Prowler are Mud Lite ITP 28x10.00-14 NHS 80F on the fronts and 28x12.00-14 NHS 87F on the rears. It has a half windshield. I'm not sure when the belt was changed but it doesn't seem to be slipping. I am having an issue though after it warms up for about an hour. It really starts to loose power. After 1.5 to 2 hours I can barely give it gas and it bogs down to a crawl and starts to backfire. After cooling down its fine again except for top speed of 45 mph. I just had it in to Arctic Cat for this and they said it had fouled plugs and a bad plug wire. Well after they supposedly fixed it, it's still doing the same thing. It's going back in when they can schedule me in again, about 2 weeks. Is there anything you guys can tell me that I might try in the mean time? I'm not that mechanical but am willing to try anything to get this thing going faster than 45. I have an extreme need for speed and this is just not cutting it. Anybody know of any good mechanics in the Reno NV area? Thanks again.
Kurt

#22 ·
I can run 73 by speedo and gps with 27" tires and a partial windshield, you will be a little less with 28's.

I also replied in your other post.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.