1000 prowler trans grenaded, help with parts - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

1000 prowler trans grenaded, help with parts

Hey y'all nice to be here so I'm working on buddies 1000 prowler thunder cat 2009 & his trany craped the bed. Removed engine & removed bottom pan found the gear on the trany shift shaft that meshes with the gear on the shaft with front & rear yokes on it completely striped, both the bottom pan & one side case 1/2 Baddley damaged & the sealed bearing under the big gear that striped has broken, also lots of fine metal & large chunks. (not sure how to post Picts or I would as is very impressive) Now have not priced anything out as of yet but I'm sure the case 1/2's are sold as a machined matched set, so cost wise would we be looking better after replacing EVERY bearing in the whole engine & trany + the case 1/2's & gaskets (also have not taken cylinders apart as of yet to look for cylinder/piston damage from metal). Or do y'all think it's engine time. I know this is not a very unheard of failure so any help/info from those in the know would be muchley appreciated. It's a shame really as it is a very nice looking sxs & in great shape. either way I don't think it should have happend like that as the gear that meshes with the one that is gone has minimal damage (minor nicks) so one would think if they were made of the same metal they should both be hooped, but not the case. Oh and the gears & bearings show no signs of discolour from heat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 02:33 PM
Loyal Member

Welcome aboard.

The problems you are having with your Generation 1 engine are fairly common with the 2009 XTZ 1000 but I didn't hear of many failures on the Thundercat. The XTZ is a lot heavier machine and much more stress is transferred to the secondary transmission. Most of the failures that have occurred on the XTZ motors were thrust washer failures on the secondary that would go through the gears and pass through the oil galley and in some cases like mine they would take a chunk of the piston crown. I will post some pictures for you to see what went wrong. I have an engine case for a gen 1 motor as well as most of the gears you need and many other parts that you could use to put this back together. You can purchase a short block motor for about $2200.00. The new Gen 3 engine has some changes made to the secondary transmission and a completely new designed engine case.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1328.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	2927   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1320.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	2928  
Attached Images

2009 Prowler XTZ 1000 with a few modifications. Needs paint & powder coating.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 02:40 PM
Loyal Member

Also check out some of the previous posts on this subject. i posted the links below for you.

http://www.prowlertalk.net/forums/ar...-failures.html

http://www.prowlertalk.net/forums/ar...lp-please.html

http://www.prowlertalk.net/forums/ar...blown-xtz.html

http://www.prowlertalk.net/forums/ar...ouble-lol.html

http://www.prowlertalk.net/forums/ar...e-prowler.html

2009 Prowler XTZ 1000 with a few modifications. Needs paint & powder coating.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

hey thanks guys... the posts & links are awsome, have any of you guys had any help from your dealers if the bike is out of warranty sincce this is a known issue with the 209/2010 1000 xtz's? now that is just a question so dont read anymore into it as I iam a GM tech who is now the service manaqger at the dealershp & sometimes(SOMETIMES)if it is an known issue with a certain modle/brand if it out of the warranty period we may step up & help a customer that fits the right criteria? also I took appart the top end toninght & found there to be some signifigant scoring on the piston skirts & majore/minor thrust sides of cylinders. so from what I can see this 2009 xtz 1000 with 1200km on it after looking at the damage to the bottom aluminium pan, 1 case 1/2(got to buy all 3) the "secondary drive gear" "secondary driven gear" "drive gear" + some other gears EVERY bearing the WHOLE engine/trany assmembley 2 pistons & all(ALL) the gaskets this poor bastard needs to buy a new enginge/transmission assembley as it is not worth the amount of parts I need put into it to get it back to as good as it was before this happened. wih absolutley no gaurentees that it will not do it again.... unless he buys a new "upgraded" engine as arctic cat has "fixed" the known issue with these ones. Not sure what the rest of the world is like as I said im from GM land but if I did not step up & help out a customer that was looking at $5,000 in just parts on a $14,000 car 1,200km into its life im pretty sure ther e would be a whole lot more other brands of cars out there & I would be looking for work. sorry about the rant but Im all about the customer service & wowing the customer even if it costs me money st the end of the day as for every one that costs me money I make it back on them cuz there now loyal & be back for maintance & they tell all there friends about the customer service they got at my shop so now they come to me too! not only does it make sence IT WORKS VERY VERY WELL
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 09:56 AM
Loyal Member

my local dealer says "no known issues" .... ya ok sure , do you guys ever read some online sites reporting issues or just stick you heads in the sand .... or maybe you don't sell enough A/C's to care .. go figure
I guess I'm becoming even more of a pessimist

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us
Sponsored Links
Advertisement