Brake issues on 2006 Prowler - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Brake issues on 2006 Prowler

Has anyone had the brake pedal go to the floor and stop slowly? This happened to me twice over the long weekend. Most of the time it worked fine but two separate times a day appart the brake pedal went to the floor and stopped very slowly. The rest of the time you can lock them up and stops very quickly. I checked obvious -the brake fluid it is at max line, there are no apparent leaks or fluid leaking that we can see. I can not figure out why it would do it some of the time and not all the time. We do not go off road or in the mud so it can not be any debris involved. We are going to get new brake pads all the way around becaue they are getting worn and time to change. But that alone should not cause the braking issue. Has this happened to anyone else? Or does anyone have any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcurtis View Post
Has anyone had the brake pedal go to the floor and stop slowly? This happened to me twice over the long weekend. Most of the time it worked fine but two separate times a day appart the brake pedal went to the floor and stopped very slowly. The rest of the time you can lock them up and stops very quickly. I checked obvious -the brake fluid it is at max line, there are no apparent leaks or fluid leaking that we can see. I can not figure out why it would do it some of the time and not all the time. We do not go off road or in the mud so it can not be any debris involved. We are going to get new brake pads all the way around becaue they are getting worn and time to change. But that alone should not cause the braking issue. Has this happened to anyone else? Or does anyone have any ideas?
sounds like maybe a pocket of air in the brake lines somewhere... wouldn't hurt to bleed the brake system when you replace the brakes.. do all the calipers to be sure... an easy way to do this without having 2 people to to the job is to get a brake bleed kit.. its like a little hand pump that draws the air out of the system quite nicely. Hope this helps.

2010 700XTX Orange -- Custom snorkel, Diff. vent mod (dry cavity), Bighorn 2.0's on custom painted "blacked out" rims, HMF Swamp Series XL with turn down, /// airdam stage 5, Some EPI goodies, Dynatek FS, Chrome headlight covers, Flip out windshield. "Cooler Hauler" ... Sold for another toy but still hangin around
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 09:02 PM

I had problems coming down black mountain, the brakes got hot and were about gone. Make sure to use dot 4 when you bleed them.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 08:01 AM
Rides all the time

I have only had one issue of my brakes fading and the pedal going to the floor. This was due to high speeds with hard brake use for 20 miles and they simply overheated. My fluid was very old and I have since bled with Dot 4.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 08:59 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcurtis View Post
These guys are right on. I had the same issue and found a brake bleed service took care of it. Check out this thread.
http://www.prowlertalk.net/forums/ar...e-problem.html

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. We have not replaced the brake fluid since we purchased. So we will bleed the system and replace the fluid. Thanks for all the help.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

One last question. What is the differentce between Dot3 and Dot4 brake fluid. AND do you need to empty the master cylinder completely or are they compatible? We saw at Autozone automotive parts store a Dot3 & Dot4 together in same bottle.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 04:39 PM
Loyal Member

a better answer to fluid / boil temps is DOT 5.1 fluid .... it's compatable with all the DOT's .. but not 5.0 [that one is only compatible with 5.0] the 5.1 fluid raises the boil temps and does a better job with moisture

a good place to buy it is Geno's Garage on line .. they have a great price V/S motorcycle shop price ... we us it in the Dodge/Cummings trucks that pull very heavy loads helps a BUNCH

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 04:51 PM
Founding Member

Dot 3 and 4 are compatable. I don't have any experience with Dot 5.1 like Gary but I do know like he stated Dot 5 is not compatable with any other fluid. I sucked my master cylinder dry with an old turkey basting tube and filled with Dot 4 synthetic with the highest boiling point I could find. The bleed the complete system.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 06:28 AM Thread Starter

Also on the brake pads. We have seen Kevlar pads out there as replacements. Are those better than the typical carbon brake pads? Would you recommend one over the other? Thanks again for all the advise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement