Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

2006 650xt h1

8K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Noel 
#1 ·
some blue smoke coming out the exhaust when I get on it. the smell in the cab is strong looks like 1 quart of oil burnedthis weekend. what should i tear down first. does the piston rings need changing? if so is there a place I can get a service manual to help pull engine apart. I'm new to small engines tear downs. let me know what you guys think.

#2 ·
noel.its for sure gone have to be tore down.somewhere on here you can down load the service manual. give it a day or two,somebody will give you a better answer. how many miles,and did you buy it new.

#3 ·
no bought it used. the gauge is not working flickering on and of. it does have 264 hrs from what the guy that sold it to me said. i trusted him. really good friend of mine. I was thinking maybe the valve seals could be bad. it runs really good no leaks at all. I changed the battery hoping it would fix the gauge, didn't work any idea on the gauge fix?

#5 ·
rings

noel, i would do a compression check, with it blowing smoke when you get on it i would have to say time for rebuild.either that or your valve seals are gone. some times you always dont know how well maint was performed.

#7 ·
some blue smoke coming out the exhaust when I get on it. the smell in the cab is strong looks like 1 quart of oil burnedthis weekend. what should i tear down first. does the piston rings need changing? if so is there a place I can get a service manual to help pull engine apart. I'm new to small engines tear downs. let me know what you guys think.
Did you down load your service manual? I can email you one. What model and year?

#8 ·
i started the tear down, i'm going to change the rings. I'm stuck at the moment where the service manual says to "bend the washer tabs down and remove the two cap screws securing the sprocket to the camshaft" one of those cap screws are not accesable when the engine is at TDC. Since I'm gonna change the piston rings is it ok to rotate the crank to make the other cap screw accesable? One of the first steps was to make sure the engine is at TDC. I think thats just for when your working on the top cylinder only. Further down the instructions when i put it back together you have to TDC the piston anyways?

#9 ·
You are going to have to rotate the crank in order to access the other locking tab bolt. Don't worry about TDC until you are ready to set the timing back up. You are going to have to tear everything down to do the rings. TDC won't be important until after the rings and piston are reinstalled.

#10 ·
motor

noel, i would also consider a piston,depending on how bad it is scored and also have your cyl checked. see what kind of ridge you have on to of cyl,might be able to just have honed. let me know how it goes,i told you ,you would get a lot of feed back,these guys are great on here.

#11 ·
got everything out, the cylinder at the very top before the lip has a horizontal wear area. about a 1cm wide and 1-1/2inches long deep enough that i need the cylinder replaced. :confused: how can the piston cause that? i was expecting wear going vertical :confused: I should probably change the piston? or is it from the rings on the piston?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.