2008 AC Prowler 650XT Overheating - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

2008 AC Prowler 650XT Overheating

Went out yesterday biking....it was about 80 deg F.

When driving top end 45-50 mph my Temp light would start flashing and the gauge sweeping from min too max.

When I stopped. a little bit of coolant would come out the overflow....when it cooled a bit I checked the rad and it was full.

If I drove 30-40 mph everything would be fine until I stopped, and then the temp symbol would start flashing again and when I shut the bike off completely, the gauge would do the sweeping motion again.

Possible thermostat problem??

Can anyone shed any light on this or have you encountered any problems similar?

PS.. When I took the rad cap off, there was no big pressure or anything.

Thanks

Update...

Took a water hose and hosed out the rad and fan....there was alot of dirty water coming out.

Then blew it out with the compressor.

As there is the full cab on my bike (hard roof, hard windshield, back and doors)...taking the rad out to clean would be a long tedious job.

Will only know if this helped on my next time out.

Any other suggestions??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 07:24 PM
Founding Member

Few basic things to check
1. Hose off the radiator like you did and make sure it can breath.
2. Did you add anything that blocks the radiator?
3. Is the fan coming on?

From what you mentioned it sounds like the radiator is full of dirt, but the fan should be on most of the time then. What gauge are you talking about?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

I have not added anything to the bike.

Yes.... the fan does come on......and when the bike is hot, after shutting the engine off I turn the key to run the fan and it automatically shuts of when cool.

When it is hot, I see the thermometer flashing on the dash..... and the Speedo needle swings from zero to max and back again and continues to do this until the engine cools.

This just happened on the last run.....previous to this I ran the bike on warm days and had no issues.

Last edited by jtcnb; 06-20-2012 at 09:14 PM.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

As you will see.....taking the dash apart to take the rad out would not be an easy task.

If that is where I must start to trouble shoot I will.

It would be easier replacing the thermostat first imo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Prowler 1.jpg
Views:	6504
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	2973   Click image for larger version

Name:	Prowler 2.jpg
Views:	2375
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	2974  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 11:40 PM
Founding Member

When I run hard and come to a stop I let the engine idle until the fan shuts off. This allows the coolant flow through the motor and back to the radiator. Make sure the radiator is clean and free of mud. It could be a faulty thermostate, not many members have had issues or at least from what has been said.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 07:46 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the response.

If it continues, I will change the thermostat.

If it continues after that I can only assume the rad is bad or the head gasket ( I have heard rumors that for this year bike the head gasket was a common problem...is this correct?).

I can only assume if it was the head gasket that it would overheat all the time.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 11:54 AM
Jounior Member

08 was not that common for a head gasket concern but it is still possible. Easiest way to check is to remove the rad cap and start the engine. Stand back when starting it though. If there is a concern with the head gasket, you will see bubbles in the coolant. if there are no bubbles, rev the engine (in neutral of course) to see if any are coming out when under a bit of a load.
I have never seen a failed therostat unless the engine is really hot. The centre piece of the thermostat will bend and keep the thermostat open to allow constant coolant flow.
Hope this helps find the issue
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 02:29 PM
de3
Loyal Member

Unhappy

your dash is working correct, you need to watch running it if your needle is sweeping,when this occurs your temp is around 210 to 220 degrees.

2015 A/C Sport,With a few add ons..........
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catmaster View Post
08 was not that common for a head gasket concern but it is still possible. Easiest way to check is to remove the rad cap and start the engine. Stand back when starting it though. If there is a concern with the head gasket, you will see bubbles in the coolant. if there are no bubbles, rev the engine (in neutral of course) to see if any are coming out when under a bit of a load.
I have never seen a failed therostat unless the engine is really hot. The centre piece of the thermostat will bend and keep the thermostat open to allow constant coolant flow.
Hope this helps find the issue
Can I do this with the engine cold? I assume not as if the thermostat is working correctly, no coolant would be circulating.

Sorry...as I am not that well mechanically inclined......but if once I get the engine to operating temp....hot enough to open thermostat..... can I then open the rad cap carefully....and look to see if there is coolant circulating ....and if there is alot of bubbles (air) present , I can assume the head gasket has failed?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 10:21 AM
Jounior Member

Remove the rad cap and start it with theengine cold. If it blows coolant out, the head gasket is done. If it starts and there are no bubbles, keep running it with the cap off. Once the thermostat opens, rev the engine a few times to increase the cylinder pressure. If the head gasket has failed, there will be bubbles.
There is a bleed hole in the thermostat so there is always a minimal amount of fluid circulating. If the engine overheatedf bad enough to bend the t-stat, it will circulate freely.
The reason there was a problem with head gaskets is that the head bolt torque was not enough. This was on the 2006 models and was corrected mid-way through 2007 build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement