Unhappy XTZ owner - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy XTZ owner

Hello-

Thought I would look here for some suggestions before I go shopping. I have a 2012 XTZ, warn 4.0 multimount, roof, back vinyl drape, full windshield. Stock machine. 4S Tatou tracks were on Dec-March, only got out of the yard twice. Machine has 22 hours on it.

Rode 9 miles, open logging roads, had dinner, then rode back to camp. I can smell plastic burning. I find that part of the dump bed is dripping onto the heat shield for the muffler. It was so hot in the cab that I was hanging my head out to get some cooler air. This spring I put dynamat inside the cowl to cut down on the heat and noise. It did cut the noise, and the cowl doesn't get as hot. I have since taken the windshield and rear drape off. It's much cooler to run now....and the bugs are crunchy this time of year. I noticed the glowing pipe last winter after about 45 minutes of playing in the yard.

The dealer told me the glowing pipe is normal (this forum did as well), so I didn't really worry about it last winter. This thing is a very fun runner.

What's next? Mud/grass catching fire and burning up on the trail?? I made the mistake of riding an Outlander 850....and liked it alot.

Any ideas about how to keep this ride from melting away??

Thanks-

Cowfeedman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 06:46 PM
de3
Loyal Member

Cool hot

they do get hot in the summer, you said you had a full windshield and back cover its gonna get hot,i have half a windshield top no back cover and i dont even ride when its real hot,ill ride the quad. as far as your bed melting from heat your pipe is getting to hot kinda like motor running to lean. i run duals with no heat sheild and bed has never melted.

2015 A/C Sport,With a few add ons..........
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 02:57 AM
Rides all the time

I wrap my header pipe and adapter with cool-it header wrap.

Be sure to get the silicone spray as I was just trying to take it off my stock exhaust to put on a set of muzzy's I bought as I was unraveling it I noticed it was too brittle to re-use.

And of course the local napa did not have the silicone spray so I bought some 1400* header paint and laid it on thick after I wrapped the muzzy's.

We will see how that will hold up.

Without was working well just too brittle to re-use.

Good luck I have been at my witt's end with the machine a couple of time's but can't think of anything I would want to replace it with.
So I am at the point of giving it some LOVE and re-working the flaws with my own fixes. And just use the Warranty for the $$$ item's.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 12:49 PM
Rides all the time

Is anyone getting their exhaust ceramic coated? If so, how is that working?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 06:38 AM

My machine does the same thing and have been playing with the PCV with auto tune and the A/F ratios to combat the issue. will check valves next. The heat coming from the radiator fan is what comes into the cab from behind the seats so I will be making a sheet metal panel that will slide in front of the cup holder next and will report back.

Tim

2010 A/C XTZ with some "Stuff" SOLD
But still here everyday to contribute to the cause
Sponsored Links
Advertisement