Need your HELP or INPUT! Brake Question - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 86 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Rides all the time

Need your HELP or INPUT! Brake Question

So I finally took my '06 Prowler on a real ride for the first time since my ownership. Past summary is I rebuilt the motor due to broken bevel gears from the previous owner, tore apart the front and rear differentials to replace seals, and replaced the rear brake pads. So needless to say I was finally happy to get it out and see what it would do. But I was sensitive to every noise this thing made due to all the repairs I put into it.

So there were two noises it was making that disturbed me. It was making a clicking noise while driving, and a kind of clattering noise when I braked sometimes. Despite these noises it seemed to drive really well. So the first thing I did when I got home was put the back on jackstands and proceeded to drive and spin the tires. The clicking noise appears to be coming from the rear brake pads. I noticed it chattering back and forth when I was spinning the tires. The previous pads I replaced did seem to have uneven wear. Although it doesn't necessarily look like it, maybe the rotor is warped.

But here is the thing. I can reach down and jostle the brake pad by hand. That doesn't seem right. Pads are installed correctly. Do those sleeves they slide on wear out? Can you guys reach down and jockey your rear pads by hand? I'm worried that if the pads can be moved by hand that they will just rattle even if I replace the rotor. Do I likely need a new rear caliper as well? Any input from the more experienced owners is appreciated.

Name: Shane

-2011 Polaris RZR-4 800 (SOLD)
-1999 Polaris Sportsman 500 ATV
-2006 AC Prowler 650XT (SOLD)-- updated bevel gears, updated oil pump driven gear, 4 wheel disc brakes, line lock E-brake, Papa Slap clutch, Xentec HID's, Dynatek CDI, Warn skid plates, Intellitronix gauges, 2010 intake/cvt duct work and dust shield, RZR seats, Bestop folding windshield, full cab kit, rear cage and rear seats (4 seater)

Last edited by out west; 08-06-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 86 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Rides all the time

Wondered to if I could pull off both the rear pads and take it for a test drive that way? Wondered if both the noises I'm hearing would be eliminated by removing the rear pads out of the equation. However, will that damage the rear caliper piston by having no resistance against it?

-2006 AC Prowler 650XT (SOLD)-- updated bevel gears, updated oil pump driven gear, 4 wheel disc brakes, line lock E-brake, Papa Slap clutch, Xentec HID's, Dynatek CDI, Warn skid plates, Intellitronix gauges, 2010 intake/cvt duct work and dust shield, RZR seats, Bestop folding windshield, full cab kit, rear cage and rear seats (4 seater)
post #3 of 86 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 03:50 PM
Lifetime Member

Garage
There's a lot post about the brake pads, the noise is a well know issue. You should have two springs (one for each pad) that hook to the pad and around the caliper. That will help some, I haven't tried it yet but some are saying to put a hose (I think 5/8" id I'll try to find the post) and put it under the springs and that will stop the noise.

'07 Prowler 650 H1 XT, L.E.D. stop/turn signals, Summit Racing heater, AC winch, AC windshield, soft cab & doors, 6' Eagle Plow, oil gauge, Maxxis MT-762 truck tires, AC Fender Flares, E-Brake alarm, Yutrax UTV Jump Seat, Dynatek CDI
Missouri Mike

post #4 of 86 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 03:51 PM

sounds like you have a problem that is fairly common. I believe some of the members have found that replacing the rotor will remedy this problem. as well there is a kit now offered that will reduce this chattering, it's basically just two anti vibration springs that will help reduce the noise. My 2010 came with the springs on there already and I still find there's chatter when I brake hard but its nothing major. my brakes will move around a little bit just by grabbing them, I find it beneficial for the type of riding I do to have a little bit of play because my prowler sees quite a bit of mud in the spring and this helps them clean out without wearing on the pads too bad. try the updated kit first maybe, its really inexpensive and I'm sure someone here can give you the part number. from what you're describing though it doesn't sound like any major issue, just more of an annoying noise than anything. Doesn't sound to me like its doing any damage.

Hope this helps,
Mitch

2010 700XTX Orange -- Custom snorkel, Diff. vent mod (dry cavity), Bighorn 2.0's on custom painted "blacked out" rims, HMF Swamp Series XL with turn down, /// airdam stage 5, Some EPI goodies, Dynatek FS, Chrome headlight covers, Flip out windshield. "Cooler Hauler" ... Sold for another toy but still hangin around
post #5 of 86 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 03:54 PM
Lifetime Member

Garage
You can read some more on the subject in the FAQ here http://www.prowlertalk.net/forums/fr...ter-noise.html

'07 Prowler 650 H1 XT, L.E.D. stop/turn signals, Summit Racing heater, AC winch, AC windshield, soft cab & doors, 6' Eagle Plow, oil gauge, Maxxis MT-762 truck tires, AC Fender Flares, E-Brake alarm, Yutrax UTV Jump Seat, Dynatek CDI
Missouri Mike
post #6 of 86 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by out west View Post
Wondered to if I could pull off both the rear pads and take it for a test drive that way? Wondered if both the noises I'm hearing would be eliminated by removing the rear pads out of the equation. However, will that damage the rear caliper piston by having no resistance against it?
I would say definitely don't run it without the brake pads... the piston could come out too far and damage that calliper beyond repair and at very least make a big mess when it pukes brake fluid everywhere. i would suggest trying the springs and go from there.

2010 700XTX Orange -- Custom snorkel, Diff. vent mod (dry cavity), Bighorn 2.0's on custom painted "blacked out" rims, HMF Swamp Series XL with turn down, /// airdam stage 5, Some EPI goodies, Dynatek FS, Chrome headlight covers, Flip out windshield. "Cooler Hauler" ... Sold for another toy but still hangin around
post #7 of 86 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Rides all the time

I was not aware this was a common issue (sorry, I should have done a search first). My pads do not have springs. Are they supposed too, or is this part of the upgrade kit that was mentioned?

post #8 of 86 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Rides all the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1962 View Post
You can read some more on the subject in the FAQ here http://www.prowlertalk.net/forums/fr...ter-noise.html

So I read the details on this link. My machine is making a noise both while driving and while braking. Are others experiencing the same both while driving and braking? Wasn't too many details on that link whether people were having good luck eleminating the noises.

Do I need to order only one spring kit for the rear? I'm thinking of ordering a spring kit and a new rotor. Does anybody know if there are better aftermarket rotors out now for the '06 Prowler?

post #9 of 86 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 07:12 PM

I haven't seen any aftermarket rotors but if anybody knows of one I would be really interested to find one, I put EBC brake pads on mine and that also helped the noise a lot. OUTWEST, I would start by adding EBC's and the spring kit unless the noise is really bad when driving. The truth is that that rotor and brake setup is in a really hot and dirty spot and wear is inevitable.

post #10 of 86 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Rides all the time

I just picked up a spring kit from my dealer tonight. I'm going to give them a try and see if that eliminates "both" the noises I'm hearing. I'll test drive it again tomorrow. I'm pretty sure it will eliminate the noise I was getting while driving as I was watching the pad clatter back and forth while I was spinning the tires while up on jack stands. I'm not so sure on the second noise I'm hearing. Maybe a warped rotor contributing, but hopefully the spring kit will take care of both noises. I'll know more tomorrow.....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement