Drive line brake making noise - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Founding Member

Drive line brake making noise

Ok every one lets hear it.

Who's drive line brake makes noise while braking?
Chatter, clunk and so on. Lets get to the bottom of this.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 08:53 PM

Mine chatters when hard braking, kind of sounds like abs chatter.

2010 700XTX Orange -- Custom snorkel, Diff. vent mod (dry cavity), Bighorn 2.0's on custom painted "blacked out" rims, HMF Swamp Series XL with turn down, /// airdam stage 5, Some EPI goodies, Dynatek FS, Chrome headlight covers, Flip out windshield. "Cooler Hauler" ... Sold for another toy but still hangin around
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Founding Member

My 2006 650 never did it until I replaced the rotor and installed new pads. The Arctic Cat anti rattle springs helped but never really took the ABS like chatter out.
This appears to be common problem some of our members have and I read this is also common on other Arctic Cat forums.
I wanted to buy another rotor to try, but at $90 each I chose not to.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 10:08 PM
Rides all the time

Well we all know mine is doing the chatter. The anti-rattle springs took care of noise while I was driving as I could physically see the pads jockying while driving. But it did not take care of the brake chatter while braking. Summary of what I have done with no luck eliminating the noise (unless I disconnected the rear brake).

1. Replaced rotor with OEM rear rotor ($90 ) and installed new EBC severe duty brake pads. Installed modified, stiffer version of the anti-rattle springs. Result: No change, still had the braking chatter. Sounds like the motor is going to brake gears or something.

2. Took out the one way bearing and tested it. Result: No change, still had the braking chatter. Sounds like the motor is going to break gears or something.

3. Disconnected the rear brake by disconnecting the brake line at the master cylinder. Test drove it in both 2wd and 4wd with just the front brakes. Result: NO Brake noise. It was gone. Did not sound like my motor was going to break gears.

I'm probably more sensitive about this issue than most because I just finished replacing the bevel gears in this machine and these are my first rides ever with the Prowler. I believe I did everything correctly in the motor. In fact the motor seems to run and drive great. No abnormal noises or anything. Shifts fine, etc. Only issue is when I brake which come to find out is a common issue. Some respected members of various forums have told me it is the nature of the beast having a driveline brake. Told it doesn't hurt anything, but it still scares me. I'm tired of throwing parts at it in "hopes" of fixing it. So I'm seriously contemplating eliminating it and converting to 4 wheel disc brakes. I know more expensive, but in the end it will more than likely eliminate the problem.....

Name: Shane

-2011 Polaris RZR-4 800 (SOLD)
-1999 Polaris Sportsman 500 ATV
-2006 AC Prowler 650XT (SOLD)-- updated bevel gears, updated oil pump driven gear, 4 wheel disc brakes, line lock E-brake, Papa Slap clutch, Xentec HID's, Dynatek CDI, Warn skid plates, Intellitronix gauges, 2010 intake/cvt duct work and dust shield, RZR seats, Bestop folding windshield, full cab kit, rear cage and rear seats (4 seater)

Last edited by out west; 08-22-2012 at 10:16 PM.
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Founding Member

Thought,
Regardless of how much brake pad slop(round guide pin to square hole in pads) with a non warped true rotor I don't see how the chatter noise is developed.
With mounting hardware tight and nothing bent while braking you may hear a clunk when the pads shift up or down when you in reverese or forward but it has to be a rotor problem.

I talk to sandchris and he mentioned his 650 did it to. He changed his rotor only and the chatter was fixed. At some point some one left the ebrake on and warped the rotor then the chatter came back. So I really feel this all starts at the rotor. Warped or hot spots causing the pads to jump all around while braking hard. The mounting flange could cause the rotor to wabble also.

post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 10:24 PM
Rides all the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertcat View Post
Thought,
Regardless of how much brake pad slop(round guide pin to square hole in pads) with a non warped true rotor I don't see how the chatter noise is developed.
With mounting hardware tight and nothing bent while braking you may hear a clunk when the pads shift up or down when you in reverese or forward but it has to be a rotor problem.

I talk to sandchris and he mentioned his 650 did it to. He changed his rotor only and the chatter was fixed. At some point some one left the ebrake on and warped the rotor then the chatter came back. So I really feel this all starts at the rotor. Warped or hot spots causing the pads to jump all around while braking hard.
My rotor is new and still does it. Worrysome to me as the noise seems to resonate through the motor. For obvious reasons that concernes me. I'm to the point I'm just going to drive with front brakes only to at least get some hrs on my motor to test reliability.

Very weird situation why some people have it and some people don't. I have heard that some people have had it since their Prowler was new. Why some parts fix it and some don't? Seems there is no rhyme or reason to it. Which is the reason eliminating the driveline brake is becoming the best option to me.... At least if I'm going to throw $$$ and parts at it, I'm more likely to fix it with brakes at the wheels.

-2006 AC Prowler 650XT (SOLD)-- updated bevel gears, updated oil pump driven gear, 4 wheel disc brakes, line lock E-brake, Papa Slap clutch, Xentec HID's, Dynatek CDI, Warn skid plates, Intellitronix gauges, 2010 intake/cvt duct work and dust shield, RZR seats, Bestop folding windshield, full cab kit, rear cage and rear seats (4 seater)
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Founding Member

Before you spend $$$ I would ask some XTZ owners if they have any issues with the 4 wheel brakes. A new rotor does not mean it's true! How true can they make a stamped rotor?

post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 10:34 PM
Rides all the time

Seems like having the driveline brake would put a hell of a stress on the motor. I've seen the inner most workings of these motors and all the gear meshing. Seems like a lot of force that the driveline brake would put on the motor suddently locking the driveline and everything in the motor?

post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 10:37 PM
Rides all the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertcat View Post
Before you spend $$$ I would ask some XTZ owners if they have any issues with the 4 wheel brakes. A new rotor does not mean it's true! How true can they make a stamped rotor?
Good point....

Alright Prowler 1000 owners with 4 wheel discs, do you guys/gals have any issues (noises, etc.) with your brake setups?

post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Founding Member

It is but I have seen these machines run 10,000 miles without any motor work.
The Rhino's have the same brake chatter problems. There rotor is even thinner than the Prowler. I am just wondering how true your new rotor is?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement