Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

prowler wont start..

29K views 35 replies 7 participants last post by  de3 
#1 ·
this problem accured today.. i got something from my cousins home, and went back to my place.. about 3-4km ride.. prowler was doing well.. until i got to my backyard and it died/stopped working alone...

i tried to start it but it just would not start.. with a little gas it fires up just fine, but when you leave the gas it dies again...

what can be the problem here ? spark plug seems ok.. maybe over heated ?

thanks for the answers...

btw : its 2009 PROWLER 700EFI XTX - fuel injected..

#3 ·
Check the intake boot, it's the rubber boot between the throttle body and intake underneath your airbox. I can almost guarantee you that its cracked if its not the upgraded one. you'll know its the upgraded one if its got the one big metal clamp on it. the crappy ones that crack have two pipe clamps. if not, change your spark plug and make sure the fuel is good. I fouled a plug last year and it just did not want to run. new plug and it worked great.

#7 ·
Check the intake boot, it's the rubber boot between the throttle body and intake underneath your airbox. I can almost guarantee you that its cracked if its not the upgraded one. you'll know its the upgraded one if its got the one big metal clamp on it. the crappy ones that crack have two pipe clamps. if not, change your spark plug and make sure the fuel is good. I fouled a plug last year and it just did not want to run. new plug and it worked great.
I found mine cracked the other day when I was taking my carb off. I found the da** airbox mounting bracket was putting stress on the nipple coming off of it. So I modified my bracket to eliminate this. I didn't know they changed anything on that boot. I didn't see a new part number listed for it. But I did pick up a good used one off of eBay that does have the metal clamp on it (my original one had the two green compression clamps).

#6 ·
Yeah, for some reason when the crack was closed of when my boot was cracked it would die and would not start. when i would separate the crack and let more air in it would fire right up... maybe it was the dynatek? I don't know. I think another member here had the same problem and theirs wouldn't start unless they were on the gas. They crack really bad and really mess up the air/fuel mix to the point where it'll only work with the throttle wide open. Mine was cracked so badly it looked like a few more miles on some bumpy trails and my throttle body would have just fell right off :eek:

#5 ·
i checked the fuse's on the prowler.. all good,
changed the spark plug.. didnt change a thing. i guess the old one was fine also..

i didnt see any cracks on the intake boot, but again i will someone more professional then me look at it later..

any other reasons why this could happen ? maybe fuel injector got damaged ?

i didnt feel any power loss, or anything befor it happend.. also first time i put the trailer to the prowler.. it happend just like that..

#8 ·
can someone lead me to what ur calling cracked ?
where is it exacly i think i looked on the wrong thing..

(english isnt my first or second language sry.. my understanding is still limited.. leading me by pic will but veryhelpfull if possible.. thanks)

#10 · (Edited)
This is the boot that we are talking about. It is the boot that goes between the carburetor and the cylinder head. You can see the crack on the nipple coming off. That is the location where the vacuum comes from to activate the vacuum fuel pump on the models with carburetors. I modified my airbox mounting bracket so it would clear both this location better and so I could run the crankcase vent hose up through the bracket as well.

Attachments

#13 ·
Drain the fuel and put new in.. sounds like you got some bad fuel maybe.

#14 ·
i hope that is the case.. the gas sation near our town is known for its bad fuel.. i heard couple of times they mix it with a little water (if i remember it right).. wil try that later on after work.

if anyone has expriced anything like this, i will be glad if you share also what was the solution.. i dont want to open the engine for nothing. i am also searching the web for any option and checking them also.. bad luck bryan me... :p

btw thanks for all the commenters and helpers so far @:)

#18 ·
Had a friend see me at one of our local stations and said "I'm surprised your Prowler will run with that gas." He has a 4-wheeler and said he filled there twice and both times he had to drain the tank because it wouldn't start, refilled at another station and it fired right up. So it's worth a try, good luck!

#21 ·
alipash..I would also say syphon you tank BUT if I'm remembering correctly gas is less dense then water. So if you don't get ALL of it out you could end up with some water still resting in the lowest part of your tank. I would also suggest that after sythoning duct tape a piece of flexible hose into the nozzle of a shop vac and run it all around in your tank to make sure you get it all out. I would also consider adding a little Stabil Ethanol treatment to your new gas. I don't know if it's been an issue yet on ATV's, but from my Outboard days I know there were alot of issues of engines shutting down when they got hot. It was cause by the ethanol in gas erroding the inner lining of fuel lines. When they got hot they would collapse on themselves and limit the fuel supply. Also is there any chance his ECU could be acting up?

#23 ·
i will give it a try tomarrow if i will have time to jump to the at the garage..
defintly worth a try, when i think about it, i allready had 1 atv that berly worked with that fuel.. it sure wont hurt to try..
in that case, its like the fuel doesnt burn properly becuase of its mixture with water ? or is it that the water/dirt wont let it pass to get burned ?

and for all who suggested adding extras to the fuel, if the gas replacment wont work, i will try that also.

i will update here what will happen and what's wrong when i get the answer from the garage..

btw had to say it... ur just the best :p :p never thought i will get this amount of support! thanks!

#25 ·
i guess bad luck runs in our family.. guess was scamed somehow when i bought the prowler.

the problem with the prowler shutting off is likely to be the timingbelt beeing is quite a bad shape.. and slips off all the time.. so new timing belt was ordered and that seems to be the problem..

but alongside with that.. a check on the engine shown that the engine is weak and in bad shape inside... and i now i need to check the upper enigne and do an overall upper engine treatment.. wasnt lucky at all...

and if that's not enough the pro's are guessing possibly also crack problems.. (please please god dont...)...

#27 ·
sry, in our language "Belt" and "chain" are the same word..

i guess he ment the timing chain beeing in bad shape.. he found out that it
was the problem and tried to fix it without replacing it, but it just didnt work, so i told him to order a new timing chain/belt... costs will be 250+$ only for that issue..

the engine issue.. another 1000-2000$ ... damn

i asked a friend of mine today.. he told me to check the lower engine where the crank is, and if the crank is showing signs of getting bad, to sell the prowler without thinking twice.. fixing it is quite expensive here..

can anyone give me anysite of parts that ships to israel ?

#30 · (Edited)
the prowler itself in a good shape, no problems with wheels, cage, inside parts, gear, clutch or anyof that stuff.. only the engine problem and the timing chain problem...

just to say.. since the first time i saw the prowler.. i wanted one, it was about 2 years ago.. now i got one last month.. and its allready in the garage getting fixed.. so i'm bummed as hell... althought from the little i driven i can say.. its more amazing then i thought, and yes i live outside the county.. i didnt find any support localy here.. and not many miles at all..

#31 ·
If your expenses start getting well over a $1000 (and you don't sell it), then you may want to consider just picking up a new motor. I think for your model they are between $2000-$2500.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.