prowler wont start.. - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 06:28 AM Thread Starter

prowler wont start..

this problem accured today.. i got something from my cousins home, and went back to my place.. about 3-4km ride.. prowler was doing well.. until i got to my backyard and it died/stopped working alone...

i tried to start it but it just would not start.. with a little gas it fires up just fine, but when you leave the gas it dies again...

what can be the problem here ? spark plug seems ok.. maybe over heated ?

thanks for the answers...

btw : its 2009 PROWLER 700EFI XTX - fuel injected..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 03:02 PM
de3
Loyal Member

Cool

you will get some answers from the F/I guys just hang tight..................

2015 A/C Sport,With a few add ons..........
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 07:33 PM

Check the intake boot, it's the rubber boot between the throttle body and intake underneath your airbox. I can almost guarantee you that its cracked if its not the upgraded one. you'll know its the upgraded one if its got the one big metal clamp on it. the crappy ones that crack have two pipe clamps. if not, change your spark plug and make sure the fuel is good. I fouled a plug last year and it just did not want to run. new plug and it worked great.

2010 700XTX Orange -- Custom snorkel, Diff. vent mod (dry cavity), Bighorn 2.0's on custom painted "blacked out" rims, HMF Swamp Series XL with turn down, /// airdam stage 5, Some EPI goodies, Dynatek FS, Chrome headlight covers, Flip out windshield. "Cooler Hauler" ... Sold for another toy but still hangin around

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 10:57 PM
Founding Member

So a cracked intake boot will cause it to die?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

SETH
TEAM PROWLER NATION
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 02:56 AM Thread Starter

i checked the fuse's on the prowler.. all good,
changed the spark plug.. didnt change a thing. i guess the old one was fine also..

i didnt see any cracks on the intake boot, but again i will someone more professional then me look at it later..

any other reasons why this could happen ? maybe fuel injector got damaged ?

i didnt feel any power loss, or anything befor it happend.. also first time i put the trailer to the prowler.. it happend just like that..
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertcat View Post
So a cracked intake boot will cause it to die?
Yeah, for some reason when the crack was closed of when my boot was cracked it would die and would not start. when i would separate the crack and let more air in it would fire right up... maybe it was the dynatek? I don't know. I think another member here had the same problem and theirs wouldn't start unless they were on the gas. They crack really bad and really mess up the air/fuel mix to the point where it'll only work with the throttle wide open. Mine was cracked so badly it looked like a few more miles on some bumpy trails and my throttle body would have just fell right off

2010 700XTX Orange -- Custom snorkel, Diff. vent mod (dry cavity), Bighorn 2.0's on custom painted "blacked out" rims, HMF Swamp Series XL with turn down, /// airdam stage 5, Some EPI goodies, Dynatek FS, Chrome headlight covers, Flip out windshield. "Cooler Hauler" ... Sold for another toy but still hangin around
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 07:58 AM
Rides all the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostxProwler View Post
Check the intake boot, it's the rubber boot between the throttle body and intake underneath your airbox. I can almost guarantee you that its cracked if its not the upgraded one. you'll know its the upgraded one if its got the one big metal clamp on it. the crappy ones that crack have two pipe clamps. if not, change your spark plug and make sure the fuel is good. I fouled a plug last year and it just did not want to run. new plug and it worked great.
I found mine cracked the other day when I was taking my carb off. I found the da** airbox mounting bracket was putting stress on the nipple coming off of it. So I modified my bracket to eliminate this. I didn't know they changed anything on that boot. I didn't see a new part number listed for it. But I did pick up a good used one off of eBay that does have the metal clamp on it (my original one had the two green compression clamps).

Name: Shane

-2011 Polaris RZR-4 800 (SOLD)
-1999 Polaris Sportsman 500 ATV
-2006 AC Prowler 650XT (SOLD)-- updated bevel gears, updated oil pump driven gear, 4 wheel disc brakes, line lock E-brake, Papa Slap clutch, Xentec HID's, Dynatek CDI, Warn skid plates, Intellitronix gauges, 2010 intake/cvt duct work and dust shield, RZR seats, Bestop folding windshield, full cab kit, rear cage and rear seats (4 seater)
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

can someone lead me to what ur calling cracked ?
where is it exacly i think i looked on the wrong thing..

(english isnt my first or second language sry.. my understanding is still limited.. leading me by pic will but veryhelpfull if possible.. thanks)
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 06:46 PM
Lifetime Member

Garage
If you don't have one I think you can find a free repair manual to help you identify parts here: "K&T Parts House Lawn Mower Parts and Chain Saw & Trimmer Parts"

'07 Prowler 650 H1 XT, L.E.D. stop/turn signals, Summit Racing heater, AC winch, AC windshield, soft cab & doors, 6' Eagle Plow, oil gauge, Maxxis MT-762 truck tires, AC Fender Flares, E-Brake alarm, Yutrax UTV Jump Seat, Dynatek CDI
Missouri Mike
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 11:16 PM
Rides all the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by alipash View Post
can someone lead me to what ur calling cracked ?
where is it exacly i think i looked on the wrong thing..

(english isnt my first or second language sry.. my understanding is still limited.. leading me by pic will but veryhelpfull if possible.. thanks)
This is the boot that we are talking about. It is the boot that goes between the carburetor and the cylinder head. You can see the crack on the nipple coming off. That is the location where the vacuum comes from to activate the vacuum fuel pump on the models with carburetors. I modified my airbox mounting bracket so it would clear both this location better and so I could run the crankcase vent hose up through the bracket as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG4392.jpg
Views:	1388
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	3174   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG4393.jpg
Views:	1302
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	3175   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG4394.jpg
Views:	742
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	3176   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG4395.jpg
Views:	845
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	3177  

Name: Shane

-2011 Polaris RZR-4 800 (SOLD)
-1999 Polaris Sportsman 500 ATV
-2006 AC Prowler 650XT (SOLD)-- updated bevel gears, updated oil pump driven gear, 4 wheel disc brakes, line lock E-brake, Papa Slap clutch, Xentec HID's, Dynatek CDI, Warn skid plates, Intellitronix gauges, 2010 intake/cvt duct work and dust shield, RZR seats, Bestop folding windshield, full cab kit, rear cage and rear seats (4 seater)

Last edited by out west; 09-17-2012 at 11:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement