08 shifting issues - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

08 shifting issues

My 08 650 displays an "E" when you shift from any gear to high. If you shut it off and restart in high it is usually okay as long as you do not shift out of that gear. Sometimes you have to do this a couple times. All the other gears seem fine. It is carb'ed and all the error codes I can find are for EFI. The shift linkages all seem fine.

Anyone else run into this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 11:30 PM
Rides all the time

Your shift linkage may just be slightly out of adjustment. If I remember correctly you are supposed to disconnect your shifter from your shift linkage on the motor. Put your motor into neutral and verify by what your screen readout says. Also put your shifter into neutral position. and then adjust the height of your shift linkage until it is centered on your motor linkage. You might try this first.

Name: Shane

-2011 Polaris RZR-4 800 (SOLD)
-1999 Polaris Sportsman 500 ATV
-2006 AC Prowler 650XT (SOLD)-- updated bevel gears, updated oil pump driven gear, 4 wheel disc brakes, line lock E-brake, Papa Slap clutch, Xentec HID's, Dynatek CDI, Warn skid plates, Intellitronix gauges, 2010 intake/cvt duct work and dust shield, RZR seats, Bestop folding windshield, full cab kit, rear cage and rear seats (4 seater)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Will give that a try.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 12:33 PM
Rides all the time

My Prowler is a 2006 and it had the original style shift linkage which was some crappy metal plates. Seemed to shift okay, but I just didn't like the linkage after seeing that they changed it on the 2007's. On the 2007's and some newer ones they changed to more like a turnbuckle style. I liked that design better. However after installing it, I noticed that my Prowler just never seemed to shift correctly. So I played with it more today, and realized that the new linkage was just too long to install it correctly how the manual says. The linkage would bottom out, but still wasn't short enough to be even with the linkage on the motor. So I cut like a 1/4" off of the threads, and it still wasn't short enough if I had the lock nut installed that comes with the linkage. So I took off the locking nut and shortened the shifter linkage until it was even with the motor linkage and installed it (without nut). Tested it in my driveway and it was shifting like a dream. Was hitting every gear nice and easy. So if anybody is having problems and they have this style shifter linkage, then you might want to check and see if it is just too long.....

-2006 AC Prowler 650XT (SOLD)-- updated bevel gears, updated oil pump driven gear, 4 wheel disc brakes, line lock E-brake, Papa Slap clutch, Xentec HID's, Dynatek CDI, Warn skid plates, Intellitronix gauges, 2010 intake/cvt duct work and dust shield, RZR seats, Bestop folding windshield, full cab kit, rear cage and rear seats (4 seater)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 02:22 PM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by out west View Post
My Prowler is a 2006 and it had the original style shift linkage which was some crappy metal plates. Seemed to shift okay, but I just didn't like the linkage after seeing that they changed it on the 2007's. On the 2007's and some newer ones they changed to more like a turnbuckle style. I liked that design better. However after installing it, I noticed that my Prowler just never seemed to shift correctly. So I played with it more today, and realized that the new linkage was just too long to install it correctly how the manual says. The linkage would bottom out, but still wasn't short enough to be even with the linkage on the motor. So I cut like a 1/4" off of the threads, and it still wasn't short enough if I had the lock nut installed that comes with the linkage. So I took off the locking nut and shortened the shifter linkage until it was even with the motor linkage and installed it (without nut). Tested it in my driveway and it was shifting like a dream. Was hitting every gear nice and easy. So if anybody is having problems and they have this style shifter linkage, then you might want to check and see if it is just too long.....
If you get a chance take a picture of you 07 linkage,I don't think mine could shift any easier.It shifts so easy that I will ease on the throttle just to make sure it is in gear.

2015 A/C Sport,With a few add ons..........
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 03:30 AM

Mine does something similar due to the reverse light over ride switch I put in for the rear work lights, It gives that error when I leave them on or off (I can't remember)

Tim

2010 A/C XTZ with some "Stuff" SOLD
But still here everyday to contribute to the cause
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 03:51 AM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08 up north View Post
My 08 650 displays an "E" when you shift from any gear to high. If you shut it off and restart in high it is usually okay as long as you do not shift out of that gear. Sometimes you have to do this a couple times. All the other gears seem fine. It is carb'ed and all the error codes I can find are for EFI. The shift linkages all seem fine.

Anyone else run into this?
After I thought about that a little,that's strange on a carb model that's like when my belt messed up I had the word belt come up on my cluster.mines a 06,my manual don't say anything about the word belt being displayed.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 08:05 AM
Rides all the time

My display will register an "E" if I'm not fully in gear. I was getting the E yesterday when I was playing with my shifter linkage adjustment and was having trouble finding gears.

Mike, I'll try and get a picture later today of the shifter linkage I was talking about. I assume yours has the two metal plates like mine used to have.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 08:36 AM
Loyal Member

Mine only did it untill I adjustedthe shift cable.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 12:44 PM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by out west View Post
My display will register an "E" if I'm not fully in gear. I was getting the E yesterday when I was playing with my shifter linkage adjustment and was having trouble finding gears.

Mike, I'll try and get a picture later today of the shifter linkage I was talking about. I assume yours has the two metal plates like mine used to have.
That's weird I never have seen the letter E come come up,I guess thats a good thing,all that I have seen is volts and belt.I thought on a carb model the only thing that would be computerized would be the CDI.learn something every day.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement