Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

H E L P !!!!! Removing CV Axles

20K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  mlh1962 
#1 ·
I have everything disassembled, but can't get the cv axles out of the differential.

I have read online they just pull out, but the replacement cv axles (arctic cat OEM) have C- clips on the differential side.

I got so desparate, I removed my entire differential to try and get a better feel/lock.

HELP!

#2 · (Edited)
Let me drive it 5 miles and they will come out on their own!

Sit on your butt and grab the axle and push toward the diff as far as you can and then pull or yank toward yourself with a lot of pressure. It will sound like a bang or smack when the plunger reaches it's full travel. Repeat until axle comes out. You may want to have some one with you to keep the vehicle steady. My dealer uses a slide hammer type of tool to get them out. Sandchris, Johnny, Glamis, and a few others here have a better knowledge on how to do this then I do. Where are you guys?

#5 ·
Hey Austin,sounds like you need a whole new cat.Just kidding.I have a couple of ideas.If you weld you can weld a piece of angle or pipe or tubing to what is left and then weld a piece across the end of that.Kinda like crossing the tee.It would need to be long enough so that it sticks out of the side off the cat far enough so you can hit it with a hammer.Or you could make it long enough to be able to jack off of the frame with a bottle jack.Or make your own slide hammer by using round bar or tubing welded to the stub that is left.And then find something that you can use as a slide and a piece on the end for your stop.
If you don't weld and there is enough stub sticking out get a piece of tubing or a deep socket that fits real good on what is left and use it to move the stub up and down while putting some pressur on the mud or dust shield that is right next to the diff. attached to the axle.When you apply pressure down on the stub you should be able to start the c clip coming out.The only thing holding in the stub or axle is that clip that you see on the new axle.The groove that is cut in the ring gear is tapered so it should come out this way.
And if all else fails pull the side cover off the diff and do like Glamis prowler said and knock it out that way.

#4 ·
Thats the way i do it also, You sit on your butt and push in with the axle twords the diff then yank it out. it takes a few trys usually.

If it is to short to grab then, you can pull the other side out, and tap it out from the other side. There might be a spacer kind of thing in there to keep the axles from plunging to far. Don't go off and start taking off the other side just yet. Let some other guys chime in. I have only worked on a few

I have seen a friend who got in there with a little screw driver and moved the clips around and tryed to compress them, that actually worked on my Gorrilla axle? its a long shot

#6 ·
They sometimes pop right out, but a few of mine have been a real pain in the ass. The best way we found is to get a huge pair of vice grips and clamp them on the axle very tight. Then, hit the vice grips with a small sledge. Usually 1 or 2 whacks will pop it right out. Believe me, I have been there enough............

#10 ·
Just goes to show that Prowlers have not changed much over the years! I've upgraded the axles on my 2009 to the later white collar axles, No more popping axles!

#12 ·
I had the same problem then I saw where he used vicegrips and a hammer...THIS WORKS!!! I used a large pair of grips ,clamped on the axle then holding it straight...about two or three licks on the grips with a two pound hammer and out it came...I also had tried about everything..This was a first time removal which I am told is the worst! I did this on all four with no more problems...best of luck..but this will work!!

#13 ·
They only pop out when you don't want it to happen!

#14 ·
My front axle did that until I changed the clip. I hope to get a chance to work on mine again soon, too many other things occupying my time at the moment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.