Rough night for the Cat.... - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Jounior Member

Rough night for the Cat....

This was suppose to be a quick little uneventful winter night ride in little ol New Brunswick Canada... If I had known what was gonna transpire, I would have stayed by the wood stove in my neighbors garage drinking my beer waiting for them to return.

*Less than 2 mins in I hit a hidden stump (under snow) coming off our lake and ripped my LH upper control arm from the frame... strapped it up and limped back to garage for quick repair.
*Back out on trails all is good, then heading for home my buddies Honda 350 broke, being the biggest there I was nominated to haul him out.... all was good until I stripped the rear RH hub, and axle (cause was a broken cotter pin allowing the axle nut to back off). So we used a small log logged into the rear upper arm to use as a "ski" to limp myself out with help from an AC quad giving me a little tug as needed.
*Then it happened, the front slid off the trail and the RH front wheel struck a tree ripping the upper control arm from the frame... F***
*A huge storm was heading our way so it needed to get home that night, and there was no way to get a recue truck where we were. (luckily we were not far from home though at this point) We strapped the front up AGAIN and a couple guys took the hub and axle back to the garage and cut the axle put the stub and screwed bearing in the hub and welded the nut to the shaft end. Came back to us and installed the hub with no axle so it would free wheel allowing the ol Cat to limp carefully back home..... 3hr trip turned into an all evening affair getting back home around 02:00 am.

Long story I know but thought some of you would enjoy it! Happy Wheeling in the New Year!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0421.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	3399   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0427.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	3400   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0428.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	3401   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0432.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	3402   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0435.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	3403  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankmonkey View Post
This was suppose to be a quick little uneventful winter night ride in little ol New Brunswick Canada... If I had known what was gonna transpire, I would have stayed by the wood stove in my neighbors garage drinking my beer waiting for them to return.

*Less than 2 mins in I hit a hidden stump (under snow) coming off our lake and ripped my LH upper control arm from the frame... strapped it up and limped back to garage for quick repair.
*Back out on trails all is good, then heading for home my buddies Honda 350 broke, being the biggest there I was nominated to haul him out.... all was good until I stripped the rear RH hub, and axle (cause was a broken cotter pin allowing the axle nut to back off). So we used a small log logged into the rear upper arm to use as a "ski" to limp myself out with help from an AC quad giving me a little tug as needed.
*Then it happened, the front slid off the trail and the RH front wheel struck a tree ripping the upper control arm from the frame... F***
*A huge storm was heading our way so it needed to get home that night, and there was no way to get a recue truck where we were. (luckily we were not far from home though at this point) We strapped the front up AGAIN and a couple guys took the hub and axle back to the garage and cut the axle put the stub and screwed bearing in the hub and welded the nut to the shaft end. Came back to us and installed the hub with no axle so it would free wheel allowing the ol Cat to limp carefully back home..... 3hr trip turned into an all evening affair getting back home around 02:00 am.

Long story I know but thought some of you would enjoy it! Happy Wheeling in the New Year!!
...glad you managed to get back before the storm. Something ain't right looking at the picture with a stick for a ski and the front wheel crazy lookin' too!
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 10:15 AM
de3
Loyal Member

just wasnt your night,every now and then we will take off for a little ride.but have never got into the mess you did.i think when you did get back to the garage i would have just stayed up and drank beer till morning.your the 2 or 3 person thats had that cotter pin break.i think i will check mine.

2015 A/C Sport,With a few add ons..........

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 12:47 PM
Founding Member

Thank you for sharing the pictures. Glad you made it back ok. Keep us posted on your repairs.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

SETH
TEAM PROWLER NATION
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Jounior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBird View Post
...glad you managed to get back before the storm. Something ain't right looking at the picture with a stick for a ski and the front wheel crazy lookin' too!
The stick broke when the rear end came back down after hitting the tree which busted my upper control arm... Up until the other night (Dec.29) I have never broke while out on a ride in all of my years. Guess my luck ran out that night! hahaha
As my best buddy says, "Wheel em, break em, repair them and repeat"! LOL
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 06:07 PM
de3
Loyal Member

one time or another everyone has a bad outing or two..........

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Jounior Member

Indeed!!! LOL
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 09:57 AM
ProwlerTalk.net Site Sponsor

Way to stick together and get everyone back home safe. Lots of trouble but I bet you will never forget this ride.

Hope you have a better New Year.

We had one of our riders drop off a 4 foot straight wash out. The front of his quad stuck in the ground and he came off rolling. Unfortunately he kicked his throttle with his foot and broke it off. As least his quad landed back on its wheels instead of landing on him. As little JD Quick weld and we had it back together in about 15 minutes. We made it the rest of the 90 mile ride without any problems.

Low Prices! More Choices! Trusted Experts!
At The Store: discounttire.com
To Your Door: discounttiredirect.com

Last edited by Discount Tire; 01-04-2013 at 08:24 AM.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 10:03 AM

Glad you guys made it back in one piece. Man I feel your pain on the hib nut. I had that exact same thing happen about 6 months ago on the right rear. Except we were 2 miles down a rocky trail. It took 6 hours to get far enough out for my buddy to hook my trailer to his Rhino and get back in there to me. I've never heared the end of that crap! A Rhino pulling out a Prowler on a trailer! Blah..Blah..Blah...

08 650xt
Big Bore Kit
Speedwerx Exhaust
1.5: Snorkels
Dyna FS Ignition
AMR Monster Coil
Highlifter 2in Lift
Highlifter 1in Wheelspacers
Custom Roll Cage
Trail Armor Doors
Intellitronix Oil, Temp, and Volt Gauges
RickTheRocket UHMW Bushings all around
Superwinch Terra 3500
Papa Slap Stage 3 Clutching with Fix Plate Mod
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 10:32 AM
de3
Loyal Member

I think that nut backing off and breaking the cotter pin seems to be a issue.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement