Clutch teardown - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Clutch teardown

De3,

So I got my new clutch in, so of course me being cheap I decided to put it in myself. So I started taking everything apart. My first problem I ran into was getting the primary clutch off, I used all the right tools and could not get it off I I started putting a brace on one of the little fins looking things and using a breaker bar, well I chipped a piece off of it, but it finally came off. So when I did get it off it looked like it had rusted the nut on it, frankly think that the guys that built it didn't put the right stuff on the nut and that is why it looked as if it was rusted on. So, then I proceed to take the wet clutch off, I again tried to use the impact gun and again it would not budge, so again I tried to brace it with something on one of the ears or whatever I could to keep it from turning, I swear I could not believe how height that nut was on, so long story short I put so much torque on it trying to get it loose I ended up cracking the crankcase at the part where there bolt is at the motor mount, it cracked it all the way to the other half of the case. Yes I knew that it was a left handed thread. So if anyone has any suggestion please give them to me. Personally I think that the manufacture did something wrong there, I really don't think that it should have been that tight. Thanks for listening to me rant and vent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 10:51 AM
Founding Member

Hey Parry,
The nuts normally have red lock tite on them. The factory torque spec's is some where around 180lbs I think. Could some one correct me if I am wrong. I have had great luck removeing the secondary and primary with good shop air supply and an impact gun rated at 400 lbs in reverse. Some one may of over torqued them and caused you this head ach. Sorry to hear about your case. What model Prowler do you have? Joes5091 has a motor from his 700

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

SETH
TEAM PROWLER NATION
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 11:54 AM
de3
Loyal Member

I hate to hear that parry,sounds like way over tighten to me,again I hate to here that

2015 A/C Sport,With a few add ons..........

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertcat View Post
Hey Parry,
The nuts normally have red lock tite on them. The factory torque spec's is some where around 180lbs I think. Could some one correct me if I am wrong. I have had great luck removeing the secondary and primary with good shop air supply and an impact gun rated at 400 lbs in reverse. Some one may of over torqued them and caused you this head ach. Sorry to hear about your case. What model Prowler do you have? Joes5091 has a motor from his 700
i have the 550. i have insurance on the prowler, just dont know if they will cover that or not, i hope so.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 12:07 PM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parry View Post
i have the 550. i have insurance on the prowler, just dont know if they will cover that or not, i hope so.
parry,just think of something good to say....

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 02:31 PM

I had a great deal of difficulty getting the secondary off my 700. The problem I had was not that it was over torqued it was that there was WAY too much red locktite on it.. with an impact the best way to get the max torque out of it for removing stuff like that is to not use an extension, takes away alot of twisting power from your gun. I'm really sorry to hear about your misfortune with the case.. is there a really good tig welder in your area? it might be something that a really skilled welder could patch up.

2010 700XTX Orange -- Custom snorkel, Diff. vent mod (dry cavity), Bighorn 2.0's on custom painted "blacked out" rims, HMF Swamp Series XL with turn down, /// airdam stage 5, Some EPI goodies, Dynatek FS, Chrome headlight covers, Flip out windshield. "Cooler Hauler" ... Sold for another toy but still hangin around
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 03:20 PM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostxProwler View Post
I had a great deal of difficulty getting the secondary off my 700. The problem I had was not that it was over torqued it was that there was WAY too much red locktite on it.. with an impact the best way to get the max torque out of it for removing stuff like that is to not use an extension, takes away alot of twisting power from your gun. I'm really sorry to hear about your misfortune with the case.. is there a really good tig welder in your area? it might be something that a really skilled welder could patch up.
That is an Idea,parry what model prowler is it.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by de3 View Post
parry,just think of something good to say....
that is the plan
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostxProwler View Post
yea it is way to cracked up for a repair. it cracked the crap out of it
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 04:56 PM
Rides all the time

That really sucks.... I've had good luck with my impact as long as I crank up the pressure. It would have helped to take a torch to the red loctite as well. That helps break the bond...

Name: Shane

-2011 Polaris RZR-4 800 (SOLD)
-1999 Polaris Sportsman 500 ATV
-2006 AC Prowler 650XT (SOLD)-- updated bevel gears, updated oil pump driven gear, 4 wheel disc brakes, line lock E-brake, Papa Slap clutch, Xentec HID's, Dynatek CDI, Warn skid plates, Intellitronix gauges, 2010 intake/cvt duct work and dust shield, RZR seats, Bestop folding windshield, full cab kit, rear cage and rear seats (4 seater)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement