Installing oil pressure gauge on 650.. - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 256 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
Rides all the time

Installing oil pressure gauge on 650..

I couldn't find a great thread on this, but maybe I missed it. Can you guys post some pictures of your setups, what you used, where you got the parts, estimated costs, which oil line is it off the filter housing (top or bottom), and what the pressure is supposed to be?

Also, what other gauge or gauges would you recommend, or is just the oil pressure one fine?

I'm going to install an oil pressure gauge for a little added insurance on this rebuilt motor, and any help or recommendations would be appreciated.....

Name: Shane

-2011 Polaris RZR-4 800 (SOLD)
-1999 Polaris Sportsman 500 ATV
-2006 AC Prowler 650XT (SOLD)-- updated bevel gears, updated oil pump driven gear, 4 wheel disc brakes, line lock E-brake, Papa Slap clutch, Xentec HID's, Dynatek CDI, Warn skid plates, Intellitronix gauges, 2010 intake/cvt duct work and dust shield, RZR seats, Bestop folding windshield, full cab kit, rear cage and rear seats (4 seater)

Last edited by out west; 02-11-2013 at 06:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 256 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 07:10 AM
Lifetime Member

Garage
I'm going to be installing mine when I do the first oil change on my new engine, the mechanic at the Arctic Cat shop recommended I use the high pressure hose. According to the manual I have it should have 60-80 psi on that line. I got this gauge because it was only an 1 1/2" dia. and I may mount it next to the speedometer.
Equus 8164 - Oil Pressure Gauge | O'Reilly Auto Parts

I may get the temp gauge to match just in case the fan would quit working.

Forgot about this, Mike told me about this to connect to the oil line. I just got brass fittings but this would be a lot cleaner setup and an easy way to ground if you go electric.
http://utvinc.com/arctic-cat/prowler...-unit-housing/

'07 Prowler 650 H1 XT, L.E.D. stop/turn signals, Summit Racing heater, AC winch, AC windshield, soft cab & doors, 6' Eagle Plow, oil gauge, Maxxis MT-762 truck tires, AC Fender Flares, E-Brake alarm, Yutrax UTV Jump Seat, Dynatek CDI
Missouri Mike

Last edited by mlh1962; 02-11-2013 at 07:16 AM.
post #3 of 256 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 07:26 AM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by out west View Post
I couldn't find a great thread on this, but maybe I missed it. Can you guys post some pictures of your setups, what you used, where you got the parts, estimated costs, which oil line is it off the filter housing (top or bottom), and what the pressure is supposed to be?

Also, what other gauge or gauges would you recommend, or is just the oil pressure one fine?

I'm going to install an oil pressure gauge for a little added insurance on this rebuilt motor, and any help or recommendations would be appreciated.....
shane you can go different routes on the gauge set up.I went with the factory prowler set up from utvinc.com you can buy the sending unit ,the wiring harness and the gauge.I used the bottom hose off the motor and i put my sending unit along the frame under the drivers seat,mine has the factory oil cooler,your service manual will tell you the different oil pressure you will have using top or bottom hose,utvinc.com uses autometer gauges.like i said you can go with any style gauge,mine are electric and if you use electric make sure you ground sending unit.the wiring harness plugs right into the acc plug under the dash.my pressure starting up almost pegs the gauge thats 100 psi and starts dropping when it warms up,Idles around 10 psi and at 2500 rpms around 20 to 30 psi.the other mike has info on the gauge also.

2015 A/C Sport,With a few add ons..........

post #4 of 256 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 07:37 AM
Lifetime Member

Garage
The gauge I got comes with the sending unit. Wish I would have installed a gauge when I first got my prowler, may have saved my engine. I thought I saw somewhere that UTV Inc gives discounts to forum members, did you get one or have a discount code?

'07 Prowler 650 H1 XT, L.E.D. stop/turn signals, Summit Racing heater, AC winch, AC windshield, soft cab & doors, 6' Eagle Plow, oil gauge, Maxxis MT-762 truck tires, AC Fender Flares, E-Brake alarm, Yutrax UTV Jump Seat, Dynatek CDI
Missouri Mike
post #5 of 256 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
Rides all the time

I wasn't thinking about the electrical vs non electrical setup. If you don't go electrical, does that mean you have oil running up to your gauge in the dash?

Name: Shane

-2011 Polaris RZR-4 800 (SOLD)
-1999 Polaris Sportsman 500 ATV
-2006 AC Prowler 650XT (SOLD)-- updated bevel gears, updated oil pump driven gear, 4 wheel disc brakes, line lock E-brake, Papa Slap clutch, Xentec HID's, Dynatek CDI, Warn skid plates, Intellitronix gauges, 2010 intake/cvt duct work and dust shield, RZR seats, Bestop folding windshield, full cab kit, rear cage and rear seats (4 seater)
post #6 of 256 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 07:46 AM
Lifetime Member

Garage
I think you will, it would have a small plastic line with compression fittings.

Missouri Mike
post #7 of 256 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 08:02 AM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
I wasn't thinking about the electrical vs non electrical setup. If you don't go electrical, does that mean you have oil running up to your gauge in the dash?
IF you go with a mech gauge you will have oil running through a plastic line to your gauge.NOTE the sending unit from utvinc was 7/16 hose fittings on each end and there not very long my oil lines are 3/8 I couldnt hardly get my lines to slide over the flared ends on the sending unit,I got my lines on and clamped them started prowler and blew one of the lines off,I called utvinc and told them about the issue,so i dont know if they changed them or not,he told me the newer prowlers had the bigger oil lines.also if you get a temp sending unit make sure it is for 1'' heater hoses,they sent me one for 3/4 ID heater hose.but on my oil sending unit I cut off the nipples on both sides drilled both ends out re-tap it and threaded 3/8 long brass hose barbs into each end and JB welded around both ends just for insurance,with the long hose barbs now i can double clamp both ends.

2015 A/C Sport,With a few add ons..........
post #8 of 256 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 08:03 AM
Lifetime Member

Garage
Quote:
which oil line is it off the filter housing (top or bottom), and what the pressure is supposed to be?
Your pressure will depend on which line you connect to, if you can't read the pics I'll try to copy the text and post.

Installing oil pressure gauge on 650..-oil-pressure-lower-hose.jpg

Installing oil pressure gauge on 650..-oil-pressure-upper-hose.jpg

Missouri Mike
post #9 of 256 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 08:08 AM
Lifetime Member

Garage
That's the brass hose barbs I have now maybe I'll try my setup before I order the one from UTV Inc.

Missouri Mike
post #10 of 256 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 04:08 PM
Lifetime Member

Garage
Here's the fittings I found for the sending unit.
Installing oil pressure gauge on 650..-imag0280.jpg

Missouri Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement