Need help planning dash accessory install... - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Rides all the time

Need help planning dash accessory install...

I will be installing an oil pressure and water temperature gauge soon. In addition to this, eventually I will be installing a winch and maybe a heater at some point. Because of this, I want to plan ahead of time for what switches, etc. I will need installed on my dash. Because once I cut my dash, there is no going back. Don't want to regret later that I should have put my gauges here or there, or switches here or there.

So can you guys tell me what switch, or switches I might need for a winch? What about a heater? Just trying to plan ahead for install locations. Thanks for any help.....

Name: Shane

-2011 Polaris RZR-4 800 (SOLD)
-1999 Polaris Sportsman 500 ATV
-2006 AC Prowler 650XT (SOLD)-- updated bevel gears, updated oil pump driven gear, 4 wheel disc brakes, line lock E-brake, Papa Slap clutch, Xentec HID's, Dynatek CDI, Warn skid plates, Intellitronix gauges, 2010 intake/cvt duct work and dust shield, RZR seats, Bestop folding windshield, full cab kit, rear cage and rear seats (4 seater)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 09:58 AM
Loyal Member

as to the winch ... add a wireless remote control and don't worry about a switch for the winch

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Rides all the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTroyer View Post
as to the winch ... add a wireless remote control and don't worry about a switch for the winch
Thanks for the input Gary. I will look into that when I finally get a winch.

-2006 AC Prowler 650XT (SOLD)-- updated bevel gears, updated oil pump driven gear, 4 wheel disc brakes, line lock E-brake, Papa Slap clutch, Xentec HID's, Dynatek CDI, Warn skid plates, Intellitronix gauges, 2010 intake/cvt duct work and dust shield, RZR seats, Bestop folding windshield, full cab kit, rear cage and rear seats (4 seater)

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 10:27 AM
Administrator

That was my consideration when I installed my gages, and I made an aluminum dash plate to mount the gages, warning light, and switch for my battery solenoid. The areas available for mounting items fills up very quickly! I also mocked up placement using cardboard templetes.

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Rides all the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairmont79 View Post
That was my consideration when I installed my gages, and I made an aluminum dash plate to mount the gages, warning light, and switch for my battery solenoid. The areas available for mounting items fills up very quickly! I also mocked up placement using cardboard templetes.
I looked at your dash plate. It is nice. Curious, what does it cost for a piece of aluminum about that size? What do you use to cut it to get clean cuts? I don't have very good tools for cutting metal, but I'm thinking of building a plate like that.

I also like the idea of that warning light. Where did you get that and how do you set it up to work?

post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 01:57 PM
de3
Loyal Member

shane I also seen on here where some one mounted gauges around there dash cluster. just an Idea.Iam gonna mount my volt gauge beside my locker switch,that will still give me room to install a couple of switches beside the volt gauge if I want to.

2015 A/C Sport,With a few add ons..........
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 03:16 PM
Administrator

Shane, you can pick up a piece of aluminum that size for under $5.00, I used 1/16" aluminum and cut it with a jig saw, after cutting i draw filed the edges, and then used 100 grit sandpaper on a block to finish. I usually sand the face with 150 grit in a one direction motion, and then spray with a clear finish to protect (Clear spray bomb). The pressure switch (Hobbs Switch) is self grounding, you run a power wire to the one side of the light, and the other side of the light goes to the switch. With no oil pressure the circuit is closed - lite on, once the engine starts pressure opens the swithch - lite out Hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2150.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	3913   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2151.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	3921   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2152.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	3929  

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Rides all the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairmont79 View Post
Shane, you can pick up a piece of aluminum that size for under $5.00, I used 1/16" aluminum and cut it with a jig saw, after cutting i draw filed the edges, and then used 100 grit sandpaper on a block to finish. I usually sand the face with 150 grit in a one direction motion, and then spray with a clear finish to protect (Clear spray bomb). The pressure switch (Hobbs Switch) is self grounding, you run a power wire to the one side of the light, and the other side of the light goes to the switch. With no oil pressure the circuit is closed - lite on, once the engine starts pressure opens the swithch - lite out Hope this helps
Where did you get your Hobbs switch and light? How much are they? I've been looking at getting a jigsaw as it would come in handy for this project and others.

post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 03:40 PM
Administrator

Shane, I ordered one from JEGS,it was a complete kit. I think it was around $30.00, but I think you could get the same thing through a NAPA parts store. It's hard to beat a Jig Saw for an all purpose tool! If I'm making large cuts in aluminum I use my skill saw with a carbon tipped blade (an old one!) , it works great!

Either - Dick or RD
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 04:10 PM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by out west View Post
Where did you get your Hobbs switch and light? How much are they? I've been looking at getting a jigsaw as it would come in handy for this project and others.
shane,tell the wife your gonna load up and head to my place for a week,and we will get you all set up.

2015 A/C Sport,With a few add ons..........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement