Can Ya Help a Newbie Out? - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 06:53 AM Thread Starter

Can Ya Help a Newbie Out?

Couple questions for the experienced owners.

1. What is the largest wheel/tire combination I can go on a 2010 Prowler XTZ 1000?

2. What impact would adding 2.5" spacers all around have on the stability/performance of the vehicle?

3. Is a 3000# Warn Winch the best bet for this machine?

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Have a great day!!!

Tcat

In an insane world, the sane man must appear insane. Capt. James T. Kirk, USS Enterprise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 07:02 AM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcat1k View Post
Couple questions for the experienced owners.

1. What is the largest wheel/tire combination I can go on a 2010 Prowler XTZ 1000?

2. What impact would adding 2.5" spacers all around have on the stability/performance of the vehicle?

3. Is a 3000# Warn Winch the best bet for this machine?

Your input would be greatly appreciated.
2.5'' Spacers will greatly improve your stability,the down fall is it puts a lot of strain on your tie rods and your rack and pinion plate thats the plate your rack bolts to,that is a weak spot on these machines with spacers and big tires.3000# winch will work good,but it sounds like you gonna be doing a lot of mudding I would go with a 4000#.just my thoughts.

2015 A/C Sport,With a few add ons..........
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by de3 View Post
2.5'' Spacers will greatly improve your stability,the down fall is it puts a lot of strain on your tie rods and your rack and pinion plate thats the plate your rack bolts to,that is a weak spot on these machines with spacers and big tires.3000# winch will work good,but it sounds like you gonna be doing a lot of mudding I would go with a 4000#.just my thoughts.
I appreciate the input. Guess you can't have to much power when it comes to the winch. I didn't realize the spacers put that much stress on the tie rods but that does make sense. Longer the spread + more stress = increased problems.

Have a great day!!!

Tcat

In an insane world, the sane man must appear insane. Capt. James T. Kirk, USS Enterprise

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 08:45 AM

If I were you I would go with 27's and leave the wheel spacers out.. you'll have plenty of clearance for the mud and you'll avoid the problems caused by the added stress. Just my 2 cents.. I stuck with 26's on mine (which actually measure closer to a 27) and it works great.. my theory is if I get bigger tires and lift its just going to be a lot harder to get out when I get it stuck! haha. these Prowlers have lots of ground clearance just the way they are.

2010 700XTX Orange -- Custom snorkel, Diff. vent mod (dry cavity), Bighorn 2.0's on custom painted "blacked out" rims, HMF Swamp Series XL with turn down, /// airdam stage 5, Some EPI goodies, Dynatek FS, Chrome headlight covers, Flip out windshield. "Cooler Hauler" ... Sold for another toy but still hangin around
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 09:17 AM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
I appreciate the input. Guess you can't have to much power when it comes to the winch. I didn't realize the spacers put that much stress on the tie rods but that does make sense. Longer the spread + more stress = increased problems.
now if you want to get real serious,you can beef up your rack plate,buy a rackzilla rack,and go with a bigger tie rods with hem joints,aftermarket Axles=broken diffs.................

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 10:03 AM
Rides all the time

My Prowler is basically stock, but with aftermarket wheels and 27" tires. Seems plenty high enough for me, and I wouldn't want to go any higher. But I'm just trail riding and not mud boggin. You may consider going with wheel spacers, but I don't think I would go with 2.5". Maybe go with 1"-1.5". I'm still debating on the wheel spacer thing myself. Prowler is already tight on some trails. Not sure I want to go any wider. Plus a little worried about the added stress on the machine as well.

Name: Shane

-2011 Polaris RZR-4 800 (SOLD)
-1999 Polaris Sportsman 500 ATV
-2006 AC Prowler 650XT (SOLD)-- updated bevel gears, updated oil pump driven gear, 4 wheel disc brakes, line lock E-brake, Papa Slap clutch, Xentec HID's, Dynatek CDI, Warn skid plates, Intellitronix gauges, 2010 intake/cvt duct work and dust shield, RZR seats, Bestop folding windshield, full cab kit, rear cage and rear seats (4 seater)
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 10:31 AM
Loyal Member

so the answer is a question .... what are you using your rig for and in what type of terrain

tires types do make a difference in traction for the different terrain also , so it's not just size. example desert guys will use a different design than forest trail guys also the ply makes a difference also .. heavy ply tires for rocks and broken tree trails to help with punctures ... you get the idea so read up a bit before final purchase plan.

IMHO never enough winch , but a good selection of recovery gear is most important also.

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTroyer View Post
so the answer is a question .... what are you using your rig for and in what type of terrain

tires types do make a difference in traction for the different terrain also , so it's not just size. example desert guys will use a different design than forest trail guys also the ply makes a difference also .. heavy ply tires for rocks and broken tree trails to help with punctures ... you get the idea so read up a bit before final purchase plan.

IMHO never enough winch , but a good selection of recovery gear is most important also.
Well, the majority of my riding will be on the trails around Hurley, Wisconsin. They have done a good job (or bad depending how you look at it) of clearing the major trails for the bigger machines. I have done a ton of ATV'ing up there and run about every ITP tire known to mankind. We have a lot of shale up there and I get tons of punctures and the XTR's just don't do well. I was thinking something with a much stouter tread design like a Zilla. I guess for me, when I do get to do the mudding, I like to be able to motor through. On top of that, the Zilla or the Silverbacks look pretty extreme which is kind of cool too. It's my first UTV so gotta do something that looks tough to it. Prolly stay with the stock rims and just order up the fresh rubber.

Have a great day!!!

Tcat

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 01:59 PM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
Well, the majority of my riding will be on the trails around Hurley, Wisconsin. They have done a good job (or bad depending how you look at it) of clearing the major trails for the bigger machines. I have done a ton of ATV'ing up there and run about every ITP tire known to mankind. We have a lot of shale up there and I get tons of punctures and the XTR's just don't do well. I was thinking something with a much stouter tread design like a Zilla. I guess for me, when I do get to do the mudding, I like to be able to motor through. On top of that, the Zilla or the Silverbacks look pretty extreme which is kind of cool too. It's my first UTV so gotta do something that looks tough to it. Prolly stay with the stock rims and just order up the fresh rubber.
what size can you get the zillas in.I believe there is a member on here that has 30'' on a HDX but had to install a 2'' lift and crank shocks up all the way...PS I have been around these utv for 7 years I know the big tires look cool,you just need to look at the most kind of riding your gonna do,the big tires will screw your performance,all together unless your gonna play in the mud.Its your call on the tires,Iam just giving you a little advice,my thoughts 28''on a xtz would be awesome you already have good ground clearance stock.this is just my opinion.

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 03:25 PM
Loyal Member

JUST AN FYI ... I run 26" Pit Bull Rocker Uber's and like them a bunch ... but believe the next set will be the original Big Horn's a lil less$$ and every bit as good IMHO ... with my spring package I have no issues with clearance unless I'm going over big trees with brush. both tires I suggested are 8ply rated

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us

Last edited by GTroyer; 03-04-2013 at 07:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement