New member-questions about buying a XTX 700 - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

New member-questions about buying a XTX 700

I'm looking at stepping into the SXS market and buying a 2008 700 XTX. Is there anything I should be concerned about or anything I should inspect for normal problems?

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysunnshine View Post
I'm looking at stepping into the SXS market and buying a 2008 700 XTX. Is there anything I should be concerned about or anything I should inspect for normal problems?

TIA
Welcome to the forum! ....do as I do and start reading the threads and if you have a specific question or can't locate subject you lookin' for just give a yell. A lot of info on this site!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 01:52 PM

check the axle seals around the rear diff.. make sure they aren't leaking. There is a fix which involves a small modification to install a dry cavity vent to releave pressure there. Not all have this problem but a lot of the guys on here have the mod done including myself. I did it last year and had last season problem free (knock on wood). other than that, no major mechanical issues.. one thing thats more annoying than anything is the tilt stearing can be a little sloppy, i'm going to remove mine and go with a fixed shaft setup.

2010 700XTX Orange -- Custom snorkel, Diff. vent mod (dry cavity), Bighorn 2.0's on custom painted "blacked out" rims, HMF Swamp Series XL with turn down, /// airdam stage 5, Some EPI goodies, Dynatek FS, Chrome headlight covers, Flip out windshield. "Cooler Hauler" ... Sold for another toy but still hangin around

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 01:56 PM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:

TIA
welcome aboard,you come to the right site how many miles is on the prowler.

2015 A/C Sport,With a few add ons..........
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 10:25 PM
Loyal Member

take a friend or have a "quality" shop do a once over for you and be there when they do it to glean as much info as you can .. ask on here as to the shop good v/s bad

where you at [town / state] and what kind of ride area do you live in ... woods/desert/fire roads/big rocks ect ? help us help you more info is better and the only dumb question is the one you didn't ask.

WELCOME

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 10:27 PM
Loyal Member

Make sure the turf saver rear isnt going out.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 10:29 PM
Rides all the time

The only thing I would question is why the 700 and not the 1000? Is there that much difference in price?

I only say that because if I had a choice, I would get the biggest motor possible so I never was wishing what if? It was a matter of circumstances that I picked up my 650. I didn't have much of a choice. But if I did (and I was staying with AC) I'd be going 1000 to have as much power as possible.

Name: Shane

-2011 Polaris RZR-4 800 (SOLD)
-1999 Polaris Sportsman 500 ATV
-2006 AC Prowler 650XT (SOLD)-- updated bevel gears, updated oil pump driven gear, 4 wheel disc brakes, line lock E-brake, Papa Slap clutch, Xentec HID's, Dynatek CDI, Warn skid plates, Intellitronix gauges, 2010 intake/cvt duct work and dust shield, RZR seats, Bestop folding windshield, full cab kit, rear cage and rear seats (4 seater)
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

The one that I'm looking at has about 750 miles on it. I've seen quite a few 650's have motor issues from what I have seen on Craigslist in the past few months. What's the deal with that? Is it an oiling issue? Will that be something to be concerned with on the 700?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 10:39 PM
Loyal Member

just be aware EVERY BRAND has issues of some kind there isn't the perfect machine !!!

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 10:56 PM
Rides all the time

Quote:
The one that I'm looking at has about 750 miles on it. I've seen quite a few 650's have motor issues from what I have seen on Craigslist in the past few months. What's the deal with that? Is it an oiling issue? Will that be something to be concerned with on the 700?
The 650 issue might be the bevel gear issue, and yes that could still be a problem on the 700 as well depending on what year. I don't think it was until sometime in 2009 that they switched over to the new style bevel gear. The 700 and 650 motors are basically the same motor. The bevel gear was one of the biggest issues with the motors, but I don't know if this is what is/wrong with the ones that you researched.

Name: Shane

-2011 Polaris RZR-4 800 (SOLD)
-1999 Polaris Sportsman 500 ATV
-2006 AC Prowler 650XT (SOLD)-- updated bevel gears, updated oil pump driven gear, 4 wheel disc brakes, line lock E-brake, Papa Slap clutch, Xentec HID's, Dynatek CDI, Warn skid plates, Intellitronix gauges, 2010 intake/cvt duct work and dust shield, RZR seats, Bestop folding windshield, full cab kit, rear cage and rear seats (4 seater)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement